Uniform Gripe with Football Movies

pianoknight

Has anyone else noticed that in an overwhelming amount of football movies, teams are regularly featured in color-on-color match ups? Rarely do you see a football movie that shows the road team wearing white. I'm wondering (a) why or how this trend got started and (B) why it's so prevalent?

This does happen in other sports movies as well (hockey, basketball), also baseball seems to buck the trend since most teams tend to wear whites / grays / creams anyway.

Also, it seems to be limited to fictional movies. Films based on real-life events like Brian's Song or Rudy, tend to have more accurate uniforms since the filmmakers can draw from photographic evidence of the actual games and seasons.

Thoughts?

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Maybe in some movies they tend to like to just give the "main" team one uniform on home and road (to save a few bucks). Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think the main team in "Youngblood" only had white jerseys and played a team wearing a dark jersey regardless of home/road.

I think the high school team in "Varsity Blues" had a blue home and white road, but maybe I am not remembering that correctly.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Has anyone else noticed that in an overwhelming amount of football movies, teams are regularly featured in color-on-color match ups? Rarely do you see a football movie that shows the road team wearing white. I'm wondering (a) why or how this trend got started and ( B) why it's so prevalent?

This does happen in other sports movies as well (hockey, basketball), also baseball seems to buck the trend since most teams tend to wear whites / grays / creams anyway.

Also, it seems to be limited to fictional movies. Films based on real-life events like Brian's Song or Rudy, tend to have more accurate uniforms since the filmmakers can draw from photographic evidence of the actual games and seasons.

Thoughts?

For Any Given Sunday, Oliver Stone was trying to get approval to use NFL teams. When that fell through he had to scramble together uniforms.

Varsity Blues seemed to be the exception to the rule. The Coyotes had home and away uniforms and the visiting team wore white jerseys.

My big thing is when they have people wearing pads and helmets loosely to give the impression they don't know what they're doing, especially in kid's movies. It's pretty tacky to me. Also, using the same uniforms across multiple movies drives me nuts. The ESU uniforms were worn in Varsity Blues and the San Diego uniforms from The Replacements and the away jerseys from Varsity Blues have been used multiple times.

Also, The New Guy started grey for greys sake uniforms.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Has anyone else noticed that in an overwhelming amount of football movies, teams are regularly featured in color-on-color match ups? Rarely do you see a football movie that shows the road team wearing white. I'm wondering (a) why or how this trend got started and ( B) why it's so prevalent?

Thoughts?

For Any Given Sunday, Oliver Stone was trying to get approval to use NFL teams. When that fell through he had to scramble together uniforms.

Varsity Blues seemed to be the exception to the rule. The Coyotes had home and away uniforms and the visiting team wore white jerseys.

My big thing is when they have people wearing pads and helmets loosely to give the impression they don't know what they're doing, especially in kid's movies. It's pretty tacky to me. Also, using the same uniforms across multiple movies drives me nuts. The ESU uniforms were worn in Varsity Blues and the San Diego uniforms from The Replacements and the away jerseys from Varsity Blues have been used multiple times.

Also, The New Guy started grey for greys sake uniforms.

I swear I've seen the below uniforms used in at least 5 TV shows / movies. Yes, I recall this from 90210 (back when I was in high school) and these guys are coaching Little League...I think the uniform tends to show up on kids most often. I cannot think of any specific other examples of when this was used (and a google search only got me the below) but I know it has.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

IIRC a scene in Remember The Titans showed a red v orange color v color matchup. No way that'd fly in the real world.

IT was the Tennessee Volunteers orange which if I recall correctly, Tennessee and Alabama played color vs color prior to the 1960's. I'm not certain though.

Also, in the Rookie, all the minor league jerseys had screened on numbers when they all used tackle twill. I think the high school team had better uniforms that game. Also, they switched it from the Indians or Chiefs (Disney was on the the no Native American kick by then) to the Owls. Only reason I knew this is because I was at school in San Angelo, 1999, when this story was happening.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I have never had such a hard time watching a game as I did during this one.

The story (as I heard it) was the Illinois wanted to wear their Orange at home (superstition) but did not want Wisconsin wearing their whites because they were successful in their whites (superstition) so they did not tell Wisconsin they were going to wear the orange.

If that's true (and I cannot substantiate), then someone should have reminded Illinois that it was not the white uniforms that helped Wisconsin, but the home court.

POTD (Shared)

The story (as I heard it) was the Illinois wanted to wear their Orange at home (superstition) but did not want Wisconsin wearing their whites because they were successful in their whites (superstition) so they did not tell Wisconsin they were going to wear the orange.

If that's true (and I cannot substantiate), then someone should have reminded Illinois that it was not the white uniforms that helped Wisconsin, but the home court.

In a case like that, I think the refs should just say that they cannot properly ref the game if the home team won't switch to white. And if they won't it's an automatic defeat, period.

In a case like that, I think the refs should just say that they cannot properly ref the game if the home team won't switch to white. And if they won't it's an automatic defeat, period.
The Big Ten banned certain color vs. color match ups after that game

The Big Ten banned certain color vs. color match ups after that game

Makes sense, but one would think Illinois could have switched to white before tip. Maybe not...I don't know much about the locker rooms.

POTD (Shared)

Wildcats had home and away uniforms, teams in appropriate home/aways.

In All the Right Moves, Ampipe only had yellow helmets/jerseys with black pants. The rival Walnut Heights wore white jerseys/helmets at home with light gray pants and looked VERY washed out. I always thought it was weird they didn't wear red at home.

Varsity Blues featured teams in appropriate home/aways.

In Not Another Teen Movie, the team only played at home, so the away team was always in white.

Also, whoever brought up The Rookie.... I watched that movie the other night, and the screen printed numbers for the minor league teams bugged the hell out of me. I even mentioned it to my girlfriend. They went through all that trouble to get the time-appropriate uniforms, and then went cheap on the numbering on back. AAARRRRGGGHH! On a side note, those Durham Bulls hats are gorgeous. :love:

---------

While we're on the topic of sports movies..... it drives me crazy when a team is mis-identified. Example: In Bull Durham, batters of the "Peninsula White Sox" are obviously the Hagerstown Suns. You can clearly read SUNS on the uniforms!

CCSLC sig 2016.jpg

20kujjp.jpg

These guys wore orange for every damn game...

whiteshadow-1.jpg?t=1203893815

Great show. I'm thinking there may only be a small handful of guys here who have seen it however.

Count me among the handful, but we're definitely in the distinct minority.

Now, get off my lawn, you whippersnappers!

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

These guys wore orange for every damn game...

whiteshadow-1.jpg?t=1203893815

Great show. I'm thinking there may only be a small handful of guys here who have seen it however.

Count me among the handful, but we're definitely in the distinct minority.

Now, get off my lawn, you whippersnappers!

I remember seeing this show on nick at night or TV land back in the day.

I saw it when I was VERY young. My dad watched it. I pretty much remember that there was a guy called "Salami" and that they played basketball at Carver High.

POTD (Shared)

Archived