Ask A Moderator

1 hour ago, DustDevil61 said:

I've got a question or two that's been irritating for me...since the last update or so, there's been no way to select custom text colors. There used to be a select color or custom color bar when you'd be able to put in a HEX/RGB value, for, say the NFL Pick 'Em challenge, but why has the feature been taken out? Is there a way around it? Would there be the possibility to put it back in?

Replace all ( with [ and ) with ]

(color=Name)text (/color)

Testing with blue. 

should be blue

If the bottom doesn't work, using color names does. If it does, then codes work too (4169e1)

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

• 3 weeks later...

How does one come about voting for a thread to become sticky'd? I just thought that there should be a sticky'd thread under concepts for these user made teams leagues (SCAA, Gridiron), that would have these leagues listed (kinda like "Concept Resources"). 

SIG.png

10 minutes ago, LA_Angels said:

How does one come about voting for a thread to become sticky'd? I just thought that there should be a sticky'd thread under concepts for these user made teams leagues (SCAA, Gridiron), that would have these leagues listed (kinda like "Concept Resources"). 

There shouldn't be any competitive fantasy leagues in the concepts forum.  What are you talking about?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

12 minutes ago, rams80 said:

There shouldn't be any competitive fantasy leagues in the concepts forum.  What are you talking about?

They are not competitve. Its hard to explain. Go take a look at the concepts section and you will see what i am talking about.

SIG.png

24 minutes ago, LA_Angels said:

They are not competitve. Its hard to explain. Go take a look at the concepts section and you will see what i am talking about.

Sim leagues are also competitive if there are multiple participants, just tossing that out there.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

8 hours ago, rams80 said:

Sim leagues are also competitive if there are multiple participants, just tossing that out there.

So I'm curious. There are thousands and thousands of pages and posts here. Can anybody direct me to something in writing saying that concept series can not contain a competitive element in the concept section? 

1 hour ago, JCRGraphix said:

So I'm curious. There are thousands and thousands of pages and posts here. Can anybody direct me to something in writing saying that concept series can not contain a competitive element in the concept section? 

I'd argue the existence of very strongly regulated fantasy sports leagues elsewhere on their own demarcated section of the boards (including sim leagues) implicitly indicates that it is not permitted elsewhere.

• Like 1
Today, we are all otaku.

My question to you would be what does a competitive element have to do with a concept series? 

In my opinion, concepts (as stated in the section description) are primarily for showcasing artwork and ideas with the intention of receiving comments and criticism in order to become a better designer. I fail to see how a competitive element can help a designer better develop their skills in that aspect.

While I do not believe there is anything written explicitly about it, I feel the competitive aspects do not honor the spirit or intent of the concepts forum in any fashion. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Atomic said:

My question to you would be what does a competitive element have to do with a concept series? 

In my opinion, concepts (as stated in the section description) are primarily for showcasing artwork and ideas with the intention of receiving comments and criticism in order to become a better designer. I fail to see how a competitive element can help a designer better develop their skills in that aspect.

While I do not believe there is anything written explicitly about it, I feel the competitive aspects do not honor the spirit or intent of the concepts forum in any fashion. 

I believe that in the case of my thread that was shut down, the competitive aspect of the project added a level of creative input (offering uniform design perks for GMs that did well) as well as making the league more interesting.

If that isn't something that the mods want on this site, then it really should be spelled out rather than being "implied". I understand that there are established fantasy leagues on this site, but on a site that sells adspace for revenue, I would argue that a single thread receiving over 24 thousand views probably isn't the worst thing, but you do you, and I'll do me.

From my point of view which is obviously different than that of a moderator, the only thing that adding a competitive aspect to a concept series takes away from this site is the exclusivity of the "officially sanctioned" fantasy leagues.

In the grand scheme of things, this is not too important, since artists will continue to create great artwork here and this site will continue to be a great place for sports art enthusiasts to come and experience the feeling of camaraderie of interacting with other people with our hobby. I just feel like this is shutting down something that a lot of people put their time and effort into so that certain individuals can feel better than others because they're in the "official" group.

Just my 2 cents, back to concepts....

• Like 2

Honestly, the only time and effort I saw in that thread was your artwork. I saw very few suggestions on improvements. For the most part, the rest of it could have been handled on an ESPN fantasy hockey site, which (again) has nothing to do with the spirit of the concepts forum. 

If others were contributing actual pieces of artwork, instead of prepping their teams for the upcoming simulated season, the thread may have continued. Once you left the project, that was the end of it.

It had had nothing to do with "exclusivity" or being in an official group. The fact is your thread was nothing more than a glorified fantasy league for you to supply the artwork to, which is not the spirit of the concept forums nor the entire CCSLC as a whole for that matter. You get the same creative input without the fantasy aspect of it, just like the thousands of threads which preceded yours. 

As for your 24k views? I'm 99% certain the boards wouldn't be in a financial hardship or suffer a critical revenue loss if the thread never existed.

Bottom line, this shouldn't need to be spelled out because making trades/setting rosters are (nor willl ever be) a "concept". Thus the reason the thread was shut down in the first place (and should have been shut down sooner, IMO). 

If if you'd like to discuss this matter further, we can take it to PM. Otherwise, were done here.

• Like 3

I just wanted to add a comment about JCR's concept thread. While I understand the moderators are going to do whatever they want to do, I believe that the competitive aspect of the concepts topic actually made it more enjoyable than if he had just posted art. While you can argue that some posts did not display C&C, I will tell you that I, as well as others, sent JCR C&C through PM for future designs, team names etc. The league aspect helped drive the future designs and actually gave the teams logo and uniforms a living moving feel to it. You knew that every season, there was going to be change, some sort of evolution to your team whether it be minor or major. While I did not design my teams logo, I was able to give JCR input on changes for the future or ideas for other teams to help build his portfolio. Now that is gone and taken away from most importantly JCR, but also to many users that come to this board to escape and have a little fun outside of every day life. I understand some people may not like the idea of a competitive league in a concepts section. I get it. We're also talking about a league based off of 1990's players in a simulated league, not daily/weekly fantasy. We weren't playing for money, some of us didn't even watch hockey. It was a great project to bring members together, some of which I PM on a daily or weekly basis now. My problem with it is that the league wasn't hurting the community in any way. It was a large reason for me to continue to come back to this site on a daily basis. Now not so much. 

I'm not here to argue, just giving my opinion. I would hope this can be reconsidered. There was alot of time and work put into his league.

• Like 4

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

We could not care less about what makes a thread "enjoyable." We used to have a thread with Hollywood starlets in bikinis that was enjoyable to people but that was jettisoned due to issues with Google.  Something being enjoyable doesn't exempt it from board policies.

The bottom line is that we have fantasy leagues here that have set guidelines and disguising one as a concept does nothing but circumvent said guidelines and take up space that someone looking for critiques could use.

End. Of. Story.

• Like 6

VmWIn6B.png

2 minutes ago, LMU said:

We could not care less about what makes a thread "enjoyable."

Clearly. 

I do think that to avoid any future issues such as this, which was not meant to be a problem, it wouldn't hurt to have some sort of rule saying specifically that concept series can not have a fantasy league attached to them or something of that nature. I'm not going to comment on this any further as the league is dead, and is no longer a "problem". Cheers.

12 minutes ago, JCRGraphix said:

I do think that to avoid any future issues such as this, which was not meant to be a problem, it wouldn't hurt to have some sort of rule saying specifically that concept series can not have a fantasy league attached to them or something of that nature.

There's no need. The CCSLC has clearly defined rules about establishing and joining fantasy leagues. Any attempt to create a fantasy league on the CCSLC forums that circumvents those rules is, by definition, in violation of those rules.

• Like 2

Clearly. 

I do think that to avoid any future issues such as this, which was not meant to be a problem, it wouldn't hurt to have some sort of rule saying specifically that concept series can not have a fantasy league attached to them or something of that nature. I'm not going to comment on this any further as the league is dead, and is no longer a "problem". Cheers.

It's never been an issue before, so why make a rule just to please your wishes?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Will it ever be possible to make edits on the mobile interface?

I can reopen a post and type in it; but hitting the "Save" button does nothing.

I can edit posts on mobile all the time, just sometimes it doesn't show up on my screen and I have to refresh. 

ExJworW.png

11 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Will it ever be possible to make edits on the mobile interface?

I can reopen a post and type in it; but hitting the "Save" button does nothing.

Sometimes it's wonky for me on mobile, but it works eventually.  Maybe cancel the edit and try again?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.