2015 MLB Season Thread with Postseason Discussion

Gary

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very disappointing season for the 2015 New York Yankees. When you don't win the World Series,it's a FAILURE. Win a ring, or nothing was won.

And you wonder why the rest of America thinks Yankees fans are insufferable.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

I won't exactly be rooting for them, but I would love to see the Cubs win the World Series, for two reasons:

1. Obviously, the 100+ year drought would be over. Older Cubs fans would see something their parents, and maybe grandparents, or even great-grandparants never witnessed.

2. It gets Steve Bartman off the hook for something that's not his fault. His biggest crime was attending a baseball game and doing something millions of baseball fans do at each game. He's had to live in hiding for 12 years because he attended a baseball game.

Yeah, it's ridiculous that Alex Gonzalez never had to take nearly as much crap for the way that inning unraveled, seeing as how IT WAS HIS FAULT.

I dunno, I'm a little numb to the Cubs these days. Obviously I want them to win it all deep down, but I don't like what the team has become. Part of the charm of prior Cubs postseasons was that they were going to win it all in their own crappy ramshackle way. Now they're just another soulless, new-money, blood-sucking, dissent-crushing conglomerate (and you could have added "Scott-Walker-supporting" to the list up until a couple weeks ago). They're the Texas Rangers with bad neighbors, and nobody gets romantic about the Texas Rangers. Besides, seeing a World Series would leave me empty knowing that Ernie Banks and Ron Santo don't get to see it. The window for maximum catharsis is closed forever.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I think it may be time for the New York Yankees to make a change at the GM position. Cashman has been there for a long time. They need fresh blood. When the Yankees don't do well in the playoffs, baseball doesn't do well. A Yankees / Cardinals World Series would have been what this country needs to heal it's soul. Regal. Class. Grace. Excellence. Maybe next year.

I know, right? Instead we'll end up having a likable team like the Blue Jays or Royals in the World Series. What a shame, the last thing baseball needs is a new, exciting team to bring fresh blood to the fall classic. Oh well. There's still hope for a Patriots/Cowboys Super Bowl or a Ducks/Red Wings Stanley Cup Final.

Ahhhh,the Cubbies are in the postseason again.Let's look at the stats.

5th richest MLB team

3 rookies in starting lineup

The 97-65 record is the 3rd best in MLB,with all of the top 3 belonging to teams in NL Central

3rd in ERA with 3.36

1st in WHIP (not Nae Nae) with 1.15

1st in walks with 567

Best record since 2008

1st finish higher than 5th since 2009

Most wins for a 1st year Cubs manager

Best selling jersey in MLB (Kris Bryant)

2v1ao9y.jpg

TRhBP9N.png

YO2Xb6F.png

cubsfansig.jpg

When Arrieta gets chased in an eight-run second inning, I'm coming after you with an Oakland-grade stabbing knife.

reporting this post

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Yeah, it's ridiculous that Alex Gonzalez never had to take nearly as much crap for the way that inning unraveled, seeing as how IT WAS HIS FAULT.

I dunno, I'm a little numb to the Cubs these days. Obviously I want them to win it all deep down, but I don't like what the team has become. Part of the charm of prior Cubs postseasons was that they were going to win it all in their own crappy ramshackle way. Now they're just another soulless, new-money, blood-sucking, dissent-crushing conglomerate (and you could have added "Scott-Walker-supporting" to the list up until a couple weeks ago). They're the Texas Rangers with bad neighbors, and nobody gets romantic about the Texas Rangers. Besides, seeing a World Series would leave me empty knowing that Ernie Banks and Ron Santo don't get to see it. The window for maximum catharsis is closed forever.

Between this post, your increasing ambivalence towards the 'Hawks, your disposing of Bears allegiance (though, Raiders; nice!), and general disinterest in the Bulls in general...it's almost like you've crossed the sports version of the heliosheath and are drifting further into a post-modern sports fan landscape. I'm not even sure what to make of it.

spacer.png

A three-game series wouldn't be fair to the division winners who already have too long of a wait between the end of the regular season and the start of the Division Series.

Predictions! (With the assumption Chicago hangs on, but Pittsburgh prediction included just in case)

ALDS

Kansas City 3, Houston 1

Toronto 3, Texas 1

NLDS

St. Louis 3, (Chicago 2 or Pittsburgh 1)

NY Mets 3, LA Dodgers 2

ALCS (this one gave me fits)

Toronto 4, Kansas City 2

NLCS

NY Mets 4, St. Louis 2

World Series

Toronto 4, NY Mets 2

WS MVP: Jose Bautista, TOR

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

When Arrieta gets chased in an eight-run second inning, I'm coming after you with an Oakland-grade stabbing knife.

reporting this post

I mean is there anything for being right like I was with the two Wild Card games, or do I get no credit for being right and crapped on if I'm not?

Either way, at least my posts are more informative the Fishplattter's.

A three-game series wouldn't be fair to the division winners who already have too long of a wait between the end of the regular season and the start of the Division Series.

You could always just, I dunno...get rid of this farce entirely, and that way things could go back to where the playoffs begin 2-3 days after the regular season ends, like it did up through 2011 to my own recollection. That would probably work better, huh? It would! Three NL teams go four days without playing. That's ridiculous.

Isn't it kinda funny how these wild card games are supposed to have a rooting in pennant race chaos, yet it seems like these wild card games are still ace vs. ace? Not sure how that keeps happening. I'm sure SSS, of course, but maybe it's also an indication that this system isn't working the way it was supposed to. I like that idea better.

spacer.png

You could always just, I dunno...get rid of this farce entirely, and that way things could go back to where the playoffs begin 2-3 days after the regular season ends, like it did up through 2011 to my own recollection. That would probably work better, huh? It would! Three NL teams go four days without playing. That's ridiculous.

Isn't it kinda funny how these wild card games are supposed to have a rooting in pennant race chaos, yet it seems like these wild card games are still ace vs. ace? Not sure how that keeps happening. I'm sure SSS, of course, but maybe it's also an indication that this system isn't working the way it was supposed to. I like that idea better.

I don't disagree. At the very least, they should play both wild card games on the same day but that won't happen again (it happened the first year since they just kinda added it before the season started) because of TV.

Archived