NFL Changes 2015

Gothamite

Well the change is inevitable (and definitely unnecessary) so most of us are trying to find silver linings. We all know they shouldn't change at all.

Yeah but I want Nike to hear the backlash from people, we can't be accepting of this garbage, we need to let them know what they're doing is wrong.

But it isn't like Nike is holding a gun to the Browns head saying "change your uniforms or else!". This is the Cleveland Browns ownership wanting to sell more jerseys and put their stamp on the team's history.

Read this article about Jimmy Haslam:

http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/2015/02/05/browns-culture-jimmy-haslam/

This is a guy who wants to be involved in every part of running the Browns. It wouldn't be out of the question for him to tell Nike exactly what he wants.

Once again Nike is to blame for the design highlighting the template such as the Bucs & Jags for the fill in the template look. I cant see someone asking for cutoff stripes on the pants that just happen to fit the template & orange spikes on the shoulders...Oh yeah can we only have Bucs on one sleeve with the ship on the other that will be straight fire!

Now they are to blame for accepting it though!

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This time last year, was there much of an idea out there that Tampa Bay was going to change? I feel like there wasn't... that the change was a bit of a surprise, but I might be misremembering it.

You're right. I forget when it was revealed, but I think all we knew was they were going to tweak the helmet, and even that was "announced" by warren sapp via Twitter. I don't think anyone was expecting a total uniform overhaul until it actually happened. Even once we knewthey were revealing new uniforms, the general thought was that it would just be a tweak or two, not the steaming pile of crap that they actually unveiled.

The year before last there were apparently 4 teams that were supposed to get some changes to their logos (and subsequently their Unis). An insider gave us a description of each logo change and we "knew" the four teams were Jax, Mia, Min, and TB. The TB change never happened. Then the next year they up and changed everything. My assumption was always they were originally planning minor tweaks and then backed away for a year and came back with a complete overhaul. So while we weren't necessarily ready for the change last year they were definitely up to something if memory serves me right.

I guess my point was that there could be another team with some sort change on the way still lurking out there. I would say it's unlikely, because the Buccaneers' turd-drop was the first time (post internet, anyway) that I can remember any sort of surprise like that.

I just looked it up, and that NFL network revel of TB's silly new helmet and Warren Sapp's bug-eyed response was on February 20th last year. So, just for fun, I'd like to hold out a very small amount of hope that, let's say, Cincinnati could pull a surprise.

Well the change is inevitable (and definitely unnecessary) so most of us are trying to find silver linings. We all know they shouldn't change at all.

Yeah but I want Nike to hear the backlash from people, we can't be accepting of this garbage, we need to let them know what they're doing is wrong.

But it isn't like Nike is holding a gun to the Browns head saying "change your uniforms or else!". This is the Cleveland Browns ownership wanting to sell more jerseys and put their stamp on the team's history.

Read this article about Jimmy Haslam:

http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/2015/02/05/browns-culture-jimmy-haslam/

This is a guy who wants to be involved in every part of running the Browns. It wouldn't be out of the question for him to tell Nike exactly what he wants.

Yes hassle+nike = recipe for disaster. Given this guys penchant for his hands on style that lends itself to mucking things up and consistently doing the wrong thing, the result could end up being very bad. Guy has no business being in the league but the due diligence of the league picking competent new owners disappeared a couple decades ago.

Anyone else been following the Texans situation? http://dailysnark.com/leaked-houston-texans-new-uniforms/

Come to find out those are apparently not the new uniforms announced by the Texans but a concept from Arian Foster.

I understand the desire to bring back the Oilers colors, however, if you don't do it correctly you will destroy the Texans brand and its colors.

I will admit that a white helmet would be better for the Texans logo since half of it is blue, but I hope they don't do that because I'm trying to collect all 32 team helmets and I really don't want to have to go back to getting another one for the Texans.

I guess my point was that there could be another team with some sort change on the way still lurking out there. I would say it's unlikely, because the Buccaneers' turd-drop was the first time (post internet, anyway) that I can remember any sort of surprise like that.

I just looked it up, and that NFL network revel of TB's silly new helmet and Warren Sapp's bug-eyed response was on February 20th last year. So, just for fun, I'd like to hold out a very small amount of hope that, let's say, Cincinnati could pull a surprise.

Last year we didn't have a catalog leak conforming which teams were introducing new jerseys.

We could still see new helmets (or pants) but, given the merchandising juggernaut, I'm betting on no jersey changes other than the four we know about. Unless the Cowboys are planning something.

Anyone else been following the Texans situation? http://dailysnark.com/leaked-houston-texans-new-uniforms/

Come to find out those are apparently not the new uniforms announced by the Texans but a concept from Arian Foster.

I understand the desire to bring back the Oilers colors, however, if you don't do it correctly you will destroy the Texans brand and its colors.

I will admit that a white helmet would be better for the Texans logo since half of it is blue, but I hope they don't do that because I'm trying to collect all 32 team helmets and I really don't want to have to go back to getting another one for the Texans.

Everyone is quick to say a white helmet will look good on many teams, and it does. But right now SO MANY teams have it. Breakdown of team helmets:

White - 7

Silver - 5

Navy Blue - 5

Black - 4

Gold - 2

Orange - 2

Red - 1

Blue -1

Purple - 1

Maroon - 1

Pewter - 1

'Midnight' Green -1

Yellow - 1

Speaking of having too much of one color, there are too many navy/dark blue home uniforms in the NFL:

Titans (going back to navy as primary next year)

Bears

Seahawks

Rams

Patriots

Texans

Chargers

I didn't count the Cowboys for obvious reasons. If they wore the navy as the primary, we would have exactly 1/4 of the league in that color. Even 7, as it presently stands, is way too many.

Speaking of having too much of one color, there are too many navy/dark blue home uniforms in the NFL:

Bears

Seahawks

Rams

Patriots

Texans

Chargers

I didn't count the Cowboys for obvious reasons. If they wore the navy as the primary, we would have exactly 1/4 of the league in that color. Even 7, as it presently stands, is way too many.

Still better than MLB.

Bears

Seahawks

Rams

Patriots

Texans

Chargers

Still better than MLB.

You're right. MLB has a red and blue problem.

Bears

Seahawks

Rams

Patriots

Texans

Chargers

And IMO out of those teams only the Bears and Patriots should be wearing navy. Titans should be powder blue, Seahawks royal or slate blue, Rams royal blue, Texans red, and obviously the Chargers should be powder blue as well (honestly I associate them with that color so much that I had to do a double take when I saw on that list)

You could say that a quarter of the league's primary color uniform is navy.

Everyone is quick to say a white helmet will look good on many teams, and it does. But right now SO MANY teams have it. Breakdown of team helmets:

White - 7

Silver - 5

Navy Blue - 5

Black - 4

Gold - 2

Orange - 2

Red - 1

Blue -1

Purple - 1

Maroon - 1

Pewter - 1

'Midnight' Green -1

Yellow - 1

I take it you counted the Jags under black?

Wow there are 7 white helmeted teams and 6 of them are in the AFC. More than a third of the conference wears a white lid. I never thought about that. Weird.

Just a wild thought and likely incorrect but a good portion of the pre merger NFL came from the leather helmet era which ultimately started with dark unpainted leather and evolved into typically dark colors where white leather simply didn't work. As the helmet evolved the more traditional senior league was more apt to keep its traditional colors the same. I know the browns and colts had white lids but thats about it. With the AFL you had an upstart league that was possibly looking to field teams quickly during the plastic helmet era and white was by far the easiest to procure at the time. Possibly it was more flashy or fashionable in the 60's as well. The white helmet heavy AFC may be a relic of that.

As of right now, we know that the Browns are changing their uniforms. I was wondering, are there any other teams that are making changes this offseason?

The Titans are reportedly making the navy alt their regular home jersey. The Columbia blue will apparently not be worn anymore, although iys staying in the style guide.

Other than that, and the Browns, it's confirmed that the 49ers, Dolphins and Packers will be gwtting new alternates. We don't know anything about those three new alts other than that they're on the way.

Thank you for telling me Gothamite, I appreciate it. Also, a thank you to those who also mentioned changes as well.

People are already being apologetic for the Browns uniform, non of this Nike "innovation" crap would look good on them whatsoever, just because it's less horrible than the Bucs and Jaguars doesn't mean it's an acceptable change from such an iconic look.

Somebody needed to say this. Way to go!

Last year we didn't have a catalog leak conforming which teams were introducing new jerseys.

We could still see new helmets (or pants) but, given the merchandising juggernaut, I'm betting on no jersey changes other than the four we know about. Unless the Cowboys are planning something.

Good point.

Get used to it. I went to 80s jerseys back when nike took over but still update the helmets every season. I've started to backfill the current jerseys in my office and may alternate them in my den every other year. I use 80's helmets during thanksgiving week and xmas week.

10344771_10203077011354598_7211943642097

Wow there are 7 white helmeted teams and 6 of them are in the AFC. More than a third of the conference wears a white lid. I never thought about that. Weird.

And 3/4s of the AFC East (!), which is why, even though it looks nice, I'm still not too thrilled over the Bills swapping red for white. Throw in the Pats in silver and you've got a pretty dull group in my NFL mini helmet display case

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

Archived