NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

Sharks aren't going anywhere; the Bay Area is way too valuable and too demographically picture-perfect (young, affluent, tech-savvy). I wouldn't be surprised if they wound up in the Warriors' new arena, though. The Shark Tank won't age gracefully.

That's pretty much what I thought when the Warriors announced their intentions to build a new arena, way back in 2012. We might even see a rebrand (no way that they keep the San Jose name if they permanently move to SF, unlike their temporary stay in the Cow Palace), which would be welcome in my book.

I'm attached to the Sharks' name and general logo/colour scheme. San Francisco Sharks works.
I'm fine too with the Sharks moving to San Francisco and keeping their identity intact. Though they should start working with the Warriors soon to get the arena to fit a hockey rink, so we don't have another Islanders-Barclays Center fiasco.

Sharks aren't going anywhere; the Bay Area is way too valuable and too demographically picture-perfect (young, affluent, tech-savvy). I wouldn't be surprised if they wound up in the Warriors' new arena, though. The Shark Tank won't age gracefully.

That's pretty much what I thought when the Warriors announced their intentions to build a new arena, way back in 2012. We might even see a rebrand (no way that they keep the San Jose name if they permanently move to SF, unlike their temporary stay in the Cow Palace), which would be welcome in my book.

I'm attached to the Sharks' name and general logo/colour scheme. San Francisco Sharks works.
I'm fine too with the Sharks moving to San Francisco and keeping their identity intact. Though they should start working with the Warriors soon to get the arena to fit a hockey rink, so we don't have another Islanders-Barclays Center fiasco.

Why? They're far from even being considered for relocation.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

The Shark Tank was slapped up fairly cheaply, is getting old by wack-ass NHL standards, and lacks some of the raw capacity numbers and luxury boxes that they might want to have in A Gate-Driven League, especially if they can't get out of the lowball TV deal of their own design. Might not be the worst thing in the world to go where the action is and stop marginalizing themselves to a good chunk of the metro. I don't know what their lease is like at the Tank, maybe it's still perfectly lucrative to be there, but all we ever hear about is how the Sharks are barely a break-even operation in spite of strong support. If San Francisco were such a bad business move, why are the Warriors going there and not San Jose?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The people in charge of the new Mission Bay arena for the Golden State Warriors are trying to get the arena to open in Fall 2018, a full four years away. There's literally no where else to place a new NHL arena in the Bay Area after this and Santa Clara because of the 49ers. Surely, if those people have an intent on the NHL and keeping the Sharks in the Bay Area, they'd draft plans soon to have the arena be a basketball-hockey combo before the 1st shovel drags dirt.

• 1 month later...

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/539519

The Panthers were already locked into a lease agreement with more early-termination penalties that the Coyotes' free pass. Now it appears officials in Sunrise may have more stones and sense than their Glendale counterpart when it comes to their hockey team begging for taxpayer money.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The top elected official in a jurisdiction of nearly two million people has the twitter handle "bestmom39." I suppose it's better than Rahm's twitter handle, "hey_f_ckface."

But yeah, this is possibly encouraging, though Glendale also had people, including their mayor, express reservations about hockey subsidies before established power came in and put them down. I'm not getting my hopes up. BB&T is a hospitality house for the entire east coast plus Pittsburgh plus Buffalo plus Toronto plus Montreal. If you thought Count fought for the Coyotes, wait until he has to fight for the Panthers.

"We don't own the 5500 parking spots we're proposing to charge for so its a license agreement or its a license agreement."

That town deserves everything it's brought down on itself.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

What the hell?

Sherwood E-mail Sherwood E-mail from Glendale City Councilman Gary SherwoodFrom Glendale City Councilman Gary Sherwood

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

And council-manager government was created so that elected idiots would have less power!

The part about the out clause and how none of the other 29 cites [sic] in the NHL have one is particularly damning. "oh noes, what if we kicked them out, where would they play, what if in the middle of the season [sic again]?" Dude, you're the city. Whose side are you on? (Psst! It's a rhetorical question.)

No other NHL city has an out clause, but I'm gonna guess that none of the other 29 NHL cities are as involved with their teams' financial dealings as Glendale is with the Coyotes. You're doing it right, Glendale... it's everyone else that's crazy.

"P.S.: this email is illegal. Make sure you delete this illegal email so we don't get in trouble for this illegal email."

Do you think Gary Sherwood's computer passwords are all "password"?

As someone who's job is to implement email (and other electronic communications) retention and archival systems for regulated companies, I sincerely hope that the city council, while maybe not technically regulated, would have some kind of retention system in place that would render deleting emails useless.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."