NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

Postponed in order to force Meruelo to have all his permits approved before bidding. Unsure if this includes his theme park district scheme also.

VmWIn6B.png

Meruelo not getting an arena permit for the arena he wants to build feels pretty on brand.

With the Coyotes continuing as an "observer" and the Utah Hockey Club not able to prepare an identity in a timely manner, it's possible that the NHL has turned one incompetent organization into two incompetent organizations.

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3 hours ago, The_Admiral said:

:censored: the Davis brothers! I bury those cockaroaches! What'd they ever do for us?

The real reason the Caps bought the website, and I am completely making this up, is that the Y in CapFriendly reminded Leonsis too much of the Isles logo. 😅

They have an Extremely Online fanbase much like the Hurricanes that makes them seem louder than they really are, but I don't even think most people in Phoenix care. And Phoenix itself just did the same "ugh well if you're the only one who wants it, never mind, forget I said anything" rug-pull that the NHL did when Quebec City applied for the 32nd expansion team.

I think most people were burned out on the Coyotes but are especially averse to the crook who owns them now.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The_Admiral said:

They have an Extremely Online fanbase much like the Hurricanes that makes them seem louder than they really are, but I don't even think most people in Phoenix care. And Phoenix itself just did the same "ugh well if you're the only one who wants it, never mind, forget I said anything" rug-pull that the NHL did when Quebec City applied for the 32nd expansion team.

I think most people were burned out on the Coyotes but are especially averse to the crook who owns them now.

If they have a larger internet fan base than actual living breathing fans that’s crazy because I don’t think I’ve ever seen a coyotes fan online either.

8 hours ago, McCall said:

Honest question; does anybody outside of the "Arizona Coyotes" really even want the Arizona Coyotes to come back?

I do.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

3 hours ago, dont care said:

If they have a larger internet fan base than actual living breathing fans that’s crazy because I don’t think I’ve ever seen a coyotes fan online either.

Well there is that one guy in the HFBoards Business of Hockey thread that quotes every single post that comes off as "the Coyotes are in trouble" and goes on a whole spiel of debunking it or saying how every reporter or insider is wrong and got their facts wrong

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

10 hours ago, McCall said:

Honest question; does anybody outside of the "Arizona Coyotes" really even want the Arizona Coyotes to come back?

I'm not a Coyotes fan. But I like the Kachina uniforms for their uniqueness.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

I'm not a Coyotes fan. But I like the Kachina uniforms for their uniqueness.

It feels like, for the most part, that’s where most people on this board fall. It’s sad to see the kachina uniforms go.

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

On 6/22/2024 at 6:32 PM, RyanMcD29 said:

Well there is that one guy in the HFBoards Business of Hockey thread that quotes every single post that comes off as "the Coyotes are in trouble" and goes on a whole spiel of debunking it or saying how every reporter or insider is wrong and got their facts wrong

That's like seven or eight different guys, which gets to my earlier point.

On 6/21/2024 at 6:57 PM, The_Admiral said:

With the Coyotes continuing as an "observer" and the Utah Hockey Club not able to prepare an identity in a timely manner, it's possible that the NHL has turned one incompetent organization into two incompetent organizations.

Ah, good old hockey fans. Spend 20 years complaining about the Coyotes and demanding the league move them, then proceed to complain once again as soon as they get moved. Yes, this is a logos/uniforms board so I understand the frustration with the delayed branding, but considering how much work needs to be done over the summer I can't fault Smith for putting the logos/uniforms on the backburner for now.

On 6/22/2024 at 10:41 AM, McCall said:

I've been down to Arizona a couple different times, and caught games out in Glendale. Much like any North American market with 4+ million people, there's no reason why it should be impossible for hockey to work there. Of course a proper arena & competent ownership need to be a prerequisite considering those were the two root causes of the Yotes problems.

Also, when it comes to sunbelt markets, Arizona has done a better job of producing NHL talent than most.

• Applause 3

37 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

Ah, good old hockey fans. Spend 20 years complaining about the Coyotes and demanding the league move them, then proceed to complain once again as soon as they get moved. Yes, this is a logos/uniforms board so I understand the frustration with the delayed branding, but considering how much work needs to be done over the summer I can't fault Smith for putting the logos/uniforms on the backburner for now.

damn, will hockey fans ever be satisfied?

spacer.png

On 6/22/2024 at 11:46 AM, The_Admiral said:

Asked my Phoenix based cousins what the mood is on the ground. The biggest sports fan's response was "There's a small group of culty diehards who are obviously bummed, but most people are indifferent or think it's for the best. I'm not losing any sleep over it." and "we don't have to hear about another arena in Tempe anymore so at least there's that." Also followed up with a text "Always kind of had a hard time caring about them when they were an hour away and always on the verge of moving so I never got emotionally invested." and "Every Coyotes fan I know is weird" and "Kind of made peace with them moving like ten years ago so not that upset about it now."

That's a dude who was a child in the 90's when the Jets arrived, grew up in Arizona, went to Arizona State, lives and works in Arizona real estate. Loves the D-backs, Cardinals, Suns, and Sun Devils. A disposable income having, sports loving Phoenix native should be a Coyotes diehard season ticket holder and they never captured him because of everything about them. I think he's kind of a micro case study for everything that went wrong there. 

• Like 8

PvO6ZWJ.png

So is the NHL still going to consider the Coyotes a dormant franchise and Utah and expansion?

(My guess is we'll get a dead Thrashers franchise and a Jets franchise with a gap.  But that doesn't really answer the above question).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

1 hour ago, OnWis97 said:

So is the NHL still going to consider the Coyotes a dormant franchise and Utah and expansion?

(My guess is we'll get a dead Thrashers franchise and a Jets franchise with a gap.  But that doesn't really answer the above question).

Given that the whole “Cleveland deal” part of this move was contingent on Alex Meruelo retaining the Coyotes brand and history, I sure hope the league reconsiders for the sake of continuity.

I know the history of the Winnipeg Jets v1.0/Arizona Coyotes is hardly anything to write home about (for the right reasons, anyways), but I don’t see any future prospective Arizona NHL ownership group wanting to reactivate the Coyotes lock, stock, and barrel.

I say let Utah keep the lineage but continue to carve out their own branding, just like the average NHL relocation. If Arizona manages to land another franchise, they can either go about it just like Winnipeg did with the Jets v2.0 or do something completely different. In the meantime, at least Shane Doan’s number 19 would hang in the rafters somewhere, and it’s not like  Utah has done something similar before:

5d14cdec939e1.image.png

Edited by DustDevil61
Added image, word cleanup
  • Like 1