NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

1 hour ago, Sport said:

Those prices are probably in line with lower bowl seats throughout the league, but when you're playing in an arena that is only the lower half of a lower bowl then you can't price things the same way.

It's going to be really embarrassing when they still don't fill it. 

It will be filled... with opposing team fans. The Arizona Coyotes will be the new Washington Generals. They might as well just have a word mark on their jersey that say OPPONENT

• LOL 3

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

20 hours ago, IceCap said:

They have the gall to ask for $89, at minimum, for people to see the Arizona Coyotes?

Sure, let's move the Coyotes into an arena that seats 5,100 people- after threatening Winnipeg with relocation on day one for having an arena that seats 15,000- and charge luxury lifestyle brand prices for tickets for a team that both sucks and has historically had a hard time drawing. That'll do it! 

So much better then just letting them play in a modern NHL-calibre arena in Quebec City. 

Well, firstly, it's not so much $89 a game but $3,649 minimum as that's the full season package price.  There'll probably be a significant markup for single game seats if they even sell those.

Also, imagine the prices for a team not in complete tank mode.

• Like 2

VmWIn6B.png

It costs a minimum of $150 per seat to get into a Kraken game. The market will bear that, so I get it. But also, I really don't. You need $$$ to play hockey; would it be so bad if you only needed $ to watch it?

Even baseball still has relatively affordable seats so the theoretical family of four could watch a game together for less than $100. I was trying to organize 6 people to a Kraken game and our total bill was $1,200 with fees. That's absurd for an afternoon of hockey, but at least you're in a cool building. The Coyotes want those prices for a minor league arena? I just don't get it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

27 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

It costs a minimum of $150 per seat to get into a Kraken game. The market will bear that, so I get it. But also, I really don't. You need $$$ to play hockey; would it be so bad if you only needed $ to watch it?

Even baseball still has relatively affordable seats so the theoretical family of four could watch a game together for less than $100. I was trying to organize 6 people to a Kraken game and our total bill was $1,200 with fees. That's absurd for an afternoon of hockey, but at least you're in a cool building. The Coyotes want those prices for a minor league arena? I just don't get it.

How else are they going to minimize losses if this moronic arena plan actually becomes a thing next season and they aren’t in Houston or Quebec City? Pretty sure the arena that hosts our local ECHL team has a higher capacity than this arena. Oh well, not my problem if the people running the Yotes are as economically illiterate as a high school freshman. 

20 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

How else are they going to minimize losses if this moronic arena plan actually becomes a thing next season and they aren’t in Houston or Quebec City? Pretty sure the arena that hosts our local ECHL team has a higher capacity than this arena. Oh well, not my problem if the people running the Yotes are as economically illiterate as a high school freshman. 

The problem is they're very literate because they hit that special place in American industry where they're allowed to fail upward indefinitely. It's the new American dream.

• Like 2

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I get it, I get my two Leafs games in Detroit a year and that is pretty much it, but... Doesn't it make sense that NHL games won't necessarily have that "family friendly" option compared to a baseball game because NHL arenas have half to a third as many seats as a MLB stadium, meaning less option for cheaper tickets. I can walk up to the ticket office before the 1st inning at Comerica park and get dirt cheap tickets.... I can't do that at Little Creaser's Arena.

I'd assume an NHL arena with 30,000-40,000 seats would have some cheaper options.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

I'm still going to be on the train of thought that come Stanley Cup Final time, you'll see this move to the ASU arena nixed. Granted, because these are the Coyotes we're talking about, it'll probably be a miracle return to Glendale out of nowhere after the umpteenth Tom Goes to the Mayor scenario while they get the Tempe arena sorted out rather than the Thrashers-to-Winnipeg situation to Quebec or Houston.  Think I called that shot when this was first announced so I'll stick to it

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

20 minutes ago, charger77 said:

I get it, I get my two Leafs games in Detroit a year and that is pretty much it, but... Doesn't it make sense that NHL games won't necessarily have that "family friendly" option compared to a baseball game because NHL arenas have half to a third as many seats as a MLB stadium, meaning less option for cheaper tickets. I can walk up to the ticket office before the 1st inning at Comerica park and get dirt cheap tickets.... I can't do that at Little Creaser's Arena.

40 home games a year is still a lot.

If they can get $100/ticket for 20,000 seats a night, I understand why they would. Like, the market is bearing that so there you go.

I also just feel like there used to be a time when families could buy tickets to sporting events if they got to the box office fast enough. Those days are long, long gone, but all things equal, it'd be cool if people had a shot at affordable tickets. Like, do we have to bleed people dry at every single turn?

Also, for context:

4FvRHWo.png

On 4/22/2022 at 1:03 PM, DG_ThenNowForever said:

What don't you get about supply & demand? They're going to have a quarter of the supply that they've had at Gila River, so theoretically they're envisioning that a single seat at ASU should have 4 times the demand. If the current average ticket price is $50, a sell out brings in $915,000. To bring in that same revenue at a 5,000 seat arena, the average ticket price should be $183. We'll see how it works out for them, but I understand the pricing strategy.

As for Seattle, if they're selling out the building with ticket prices what they are, why would they sell for less? They paid $650 million for the franchise, so they're obviously going to try and strike while the iron is hot, and before the novelty wears off. If you're looking for cheap family entertainment there are 2 WHL teams in the Seattle area. If you have young kids they probably won't notice the difference.

Baseball is completely different. There are twice as many games, the stadiums are twice the size of NHL arenas, and there are only a handful of markets capable of selling out every game, regardless of how the team plays on the field. When you throw in the fact that a large chunk of games are played on weekday afternoons, it should be clear why tickets are typically easier to come by.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

What don't you get about supply & demand? They're going to have a quarter of the supply that they've had at Gila River, so theoretically they're envisioning that a single seat at ASU should have 4 times the demand. If the current average ticket price is $50, a sell out brings in $915,000. To bring in that same revenue at a 5,000 seat arena, the average ticket price should be $183. We'll see how it works out for them, but I understand the pricing strategy.

One of my favorite activities is quote myself back to people who quoted me.

On 4/22/2022 at 10:03 AM, DG_ThenNowForever said:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

One of my favorite activities is quote myself back to people who quoted me.

Well you started by saying you "get it", then immediately followed it up by saying "I really don't". 

1 hour ago, DEAD! said:

Junior hockey arena seems more appropriate 

Speaking of that... both the Kitchener Memorial Auditorium Complex and Budweiser Gardens in London, ON both seat more for hockey 🙃

1 hour ago, DEAD! said:

Junior hockey arena seems more appropriate 

Except... 

Scotiabank Saddledome (Calgary) - 19,289

Rogers Place (Edmonton) - 18,347

Centre Videotron (Quebec) - 18,259

FirstOntario Centre (Hamilton) - 17,383

SaskTel Centre (Saskatoon) - 15,100

Memorial Coliseum (Portland) - 12,888

Scotiabank Centre (Halifax) - 10,595

Spokane Arena (Spokane) - 10,366

TD Place Arena (Ottawa) - 9,500

Budweiser Gardens (London) - 9,036

Avenir Centre (Moncton) - 8,800

Angel of the Winds Arena (Everett) - 8,149

ShoWare Center (Seattle) - 7,141

Kitchener Memorial Auditorium (Kitchener) - 7,131

Peavey Mart Centrium (Red Deer) - 7,111

Co-op Place (Medicine Hat) - 7,100

Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre (Victoria) - 7,006

Erie Insurance Arena (Erie) - 6,716

Brandt Centre (Regina) - 6,484

WFCU Centre (Windsor) - 6,450

TD Station (Saint John) - 6,308

Toyota Center (Tri-Cities) - 5,694

Leon's Centre (Kingston) - 5,614

Paramount Fine Foods Centre (Mississauga) - 5,612

CN Centre (Prince George) - 5,582

Dow Event Center (Saginaw) - 5,527

Prospera Place (Kelowna) - 5,507

ENMAX Centre (Lethbridge) - 5,479

Sandman Centre (Kamloops) - 5,464

Meridian Centre (Niagara) - 5,300

Langley Events Centre (Vancouver) - 5,276

Centre Gervais Auto (Shawinigan) - 5,195

Tribute Communities Centre (Oshawa) - 5,180

Keystone Centre (Brandon) - 5,102

Centre 200 (Cape Breton) - 5,000

And this doesn't factor in standing room capacity.

• Applause 2

VmWIn6B.png