NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

19 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

It's been well known for a while that the majority of the Yotes fanbase lives in the East Valley (Scottsdale/Tempe/Mesa/Chandler). They had originally looked into building an arena in Scottsdale before moving to Glendale, but couldn't get a deal done. Now instead of forcing most of their fans to drive over an hour each way for games, they'll be within 30 minutes of the rink. They'll also be closer to a wider variety of pre/post game entertainment options, instead of just a small entertainment district surrounded by desert.

If anything, the Coyotes pricing strategy should, theoretically, really test the premise that stadium location has been their biggest challenge, especially if they end up having no trouble attracting fans at substantially higher ticket prices.

But what I think will likely happen? They'll fill up this tiny arena with only the hardcore fans willing to pony up that money, and create the mirage that the fanbase is larger and more supportive as it is.  

12 hours ago, throwuascenario said:

I won't pretend to know anything about the Phoenix metro area, but it seems like a decade plus of the Coyotes playing so far away may have dampened any enthusiasm that the East Valley you speak of may have had at one point.

Also, to me nearby entertainment options = expensive and/or hassle parking.

I'd say the emergence of Auston Matthews and ASU playing Division I hockey has helped keep interest in the sport. The Coyotes have also had their practice facility in Scottsdale for a while.

This article paints a pretty good picture of the last 20 years of the Coyotes:

https://www.gophnx.com/2022/04/28/the-glendale-years-for-the-coyotes-it-was-the-best-of-times-but-mostly-it-was-the-worst-of-times/

On 4/25/2022 at 4:09 PM, LMU said:

Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre (Victoria) - 7,006

Still one of my favourite arena names in sports.

It is Memorial Centre sponsored by Save-On-Foods but it can read as a community monument to the remembrance of a grocery store chain's sacrifice.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

IbjBaeE.png

On 4/29/2022 at 12:02 AM, who do you think said:

Will the Coyotes defense force ever run out of excuses?

No, because moving the team to the hockey crazy locale of Quebec City with a NHL-caliber arena already in place would be a step back for the league...somehow. 

• Like 8
  • Applause 1

It would be a step back for the profits of the Bruins and Maple Leafs, less of which has to go back into payroll because of how much the Coyotes suppress league revenue. Shame on the people busting out the abacus to explain how this can actually work; the organization is designed to fail. 

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, LMU said:

One of the OITGDNHL highlights - ASU controls the look of the ice so the ‘Yotes are forced to play with a pitchfork at the face off circle.

The (Sun) Devil is in the details... 

• Applause 1
  • LOL 3

I saw, I came, I left.

16 hours ago, LMU said:

One of the OITGDNHL highlights - ASU controls the look of the ice so the ‘Yotes are forced to play with a pitchfork at the face off circle.

Looks like they'll have both logos at centre ice, which is slightly less embarrassing.

In some embarrassing north of the border news, Roger Lajoie has resigned as the Director of Marketing for the Senators. He was essentially a part-time executive, as he also maintained his job as a Toronto radio host. He was one of Melnyk's buddies who clearly got gifted the position. He came under fire from the fanbase & some members of the media when he posted this (now deleted) tweet over the weekend.

spacer.png

16 hours ago, LMU said:

Also, apparently the Sun Devils have priority over scheduling. They have final say. After they set their own NCAA schedule, they'll give whatever remaining dates to the Coyotes, who will have to accept.

29 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

Also, apparently the Sun Devils have priority over scheduling. They have final say. After they set their own NCAA schedule, they'll give whatever remaining dates to the Coyotes, who will have to accept.

That's pretty standard for any tenant renting an arena. And I'd imagine that some of these NHL teams that share buildings/ownership with NBA teams are not the priority tenant as well.

I believe the reason the NHL waited so long to release the second round schedule was because they had to see if both Dallas teams would be moving on and plan accordingly based on the NBA schedule. Even with them waiting until the last second, they still messed up the second round schedule for Tampa/Florida because of a damn Kane Brown concert.

jNTsTyQ.png

1 hour ago, spartacat_12 said:
 In some embarrassing north of the border news, Roger Lajoie has resigned as the Director of Marketing for the Senators. He was essentially a part-time executive, as he also maintained his job as a Toronto radio host. He was one of Melnyk's buddies who clearly got gifted the position. He came under fire from the fanbase & some members of the media when he posted this (now deleted) tweet over the weekend.

spacer.png

He's not wrong though...

2 hours ago, TalktoChuck said:

That's pretty standard for any tenant renting an arena. And I'd imagine that some of these NHL teams that share buildings/ownership with NBA teams are not the priority tenant as well.

I believe the reason the NHL waited so long to release the second round schedule was because they had to see if both Dallas teams would be moving on and plan accordingly based on the NBA schedule. Even with them waiting until the last second, they still messed up the second round schedule for Tampa/Florida because of a damn Kane Brown concert.

The NBA & NHL are both major league.

I've never seen a minor league team boss around an NHL team and tell them what to do.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, habsfan1 said:

The NBA & NHL are both major league.

I've never seen a minor league team boss around an NHL team and tell them what to do.

Whoever owns the arena gets to make the rules. Why the hell would ASU let the Coyotes take priority?

• Like 7

jNTsTyQ.png

11 hours ago, who do you think said:

Forget Quebec City, tell me again why this is a more favorable arrangement than putting the team in Saskatoon? Or even that 10,000 seater in Halifax?

being in Canada aside, I'm pretty sure the Saskatoon metro is smaller than most if not all ECHL markets, so that's one reason.

also, turns out the Isles promoted Lane Lambert to head coach instead of going out and making some other boneheaded hire, which I honestly don't mind at all.

53Ocz8U.png