NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

3 hours ago, Cosmic said:

I hadn't thought about this in forever, but wow "playing in a mall" was so ahead of its time. I remember "LoL tHeY pLaY iN a MaLl" being such a slur against the Whalers, but having some "integrated retail, dining, and entertainment experiences" is pretty much on every team's wishlist today. A lot of architecture from that time period didn't age well, but the concept was solid. Looking at what pictures I can find, it seems like a pretty normal 70s arena.

And the irony is that the Coyotes are essentially being evicted from an arena at a mall, much to the Johnny Rockets GM’s chagrin.

• Like 3

VmWIn6B.png

10 hours ago, Friedrich Stuart Macbeth said:

It won't come to me as a shock if Bettman and the rest of his gang build a church upon the First Nation graves, take a huge dump on said church, spewing out anti-mask and anti-vaxx statements like yapping dogs, and to top it all off, intentionally misgendering and insulting some group of Trans people, JUST to spite the Canadians into furious thinking and bluffing while laughing at how much outrage they can get and still get their positions as official leaders of the NHL.

EDIT: I feel this 'wishing a terrorist to come and kill that guy' isn't enough. Gary Bettman makes mentally challenged people look like Einstein in comparison, considering what kind of thinking he's thinking. I may be a middle-level autistic, and even I know that is shameful by league's standard.

spacer.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LMU said:

And the irony is that the Coyotes are essentially being evicted from an arena at a mall, much to the Johnny Rockets GM’s chagrin.

Glendale would be better off converting that arena into... more retail space.

(or a parking lot)

• Like 1

I saw, I came, I left.

24 minutes ago, DEAD! said:

Glendale would be better off converting that arena into... more retail space.

(or a parking lot)

But, does the current Red Cross blood shortage apply to the nonbelievers?

• Like 4

VmWIn6B.png

On 1/28/2022 at 2:03 AM, Friedrich Stuart Macbeth said:

EDIT: I feel this 'wishing a terrorist to come and kill that guy' isn't enough. Gary Bettman makes mentally challenged people look like Einstein in comparison, considering what kind of thinking he's thinking. I may be a middle-level autistic, and even I know that is shameful by league's standard.

Bettman is just a stooge for the owners. He takes point when it's league vs. players, league vs. TV partners, league vs. advertisers, etc., but when it comes how the NHL organizes itself and where they plop down their franchises, the owners call the shots while Bettman spazzes out to the media on their behalf.

You should be barking up the trees of the Molson Family, MLSE, and Jeremy Jacobs, probably in that order. They're the ones most responsible for the NHL tying itself in double-knots to avoid placing a franchise in one of the very few viable open locations in North America with an actual hockey appetite and wouldn't require constant handouts to keep afloat (barring another crapout of the Canadian dollar).

20 hours ago, who do you think said:

Bettman is just a stooge for the owners. He takes point when it's league vs. players, league vs. TV partners, league vs. advertisers, etc., but when it comes how the NHL organizes itself and where they plop down their franchises, the owners call the shots while Bettman spazzes out to the media on their behalf.

You should be barking up the trees of the Molson Family, MLSE, and Jeremy Jacobs, probably in that order. They're the ones most responsible for the NHL tying itself in double-knots to avoid placing a franchise in one of the very few viable open locations in North America with an actual hockey appetite and wouldn't require constant handouts to keep afloat (barring another crapout of the Canadian dollar).

Huh, I thought the commissioner is the one in charge of who gets a franchise. I get there must be an owner's vote or something, because that's the only reason why they don't want to take the heat and instead let Bettman do it.

Still, not liking a decision to keep a failing franchise afloat and approving ad patches on jerseys (even when it's small).

22 minutes ago, Friedrich Stuart Macbeth said:

Huh, I thought the commissioner is the one in charge of who gets a franchise. I get there must be an owner's vote or something, because that's the only reason why they don't want to take the heat and instead let Bettman do it.

Still, not liking a decision to keep a failing franchise afloat and approving ad patches on jerseys (even when it's small).

That ad patch thing in particular was an owner's vote - the commissioner acts as the owner's voice. They are hired by the owners, represent the owners, and are beholden to the owners. If Bettman was doing things the ownership groups didn't like, he'd be gone.

• Like 2

the user formerly known as cdclt

7 hours ago, QCS said:

That ad patch thing in particular was an owner's vote - the commissioner acts as the owner's voice. They are hired by the owners, represent the owners, and are beholden to the owners. If Bettman was doing things the ownership groups didn't like, he'd be gone.

Yep.  In most sports, the commish can act unilaterally on trivial matters like player discipline (if it is serious enough to make it to him, and if it's in the CBA), but that's really about it. 

That being said, any commissioner has a lot of influence with the owners, so they're likely to be in line with his recommendations, but all it would take is for a few of the more-influential owners to lobby the other owners to go in a different direction and install a new commissioner.  No commissioner can act unilaterally when it comes to franchise relocations or expansion or anything of the sort.

Now that being said, I think that's only actually happened once in my lifetime, and I think that was in MLB in the Fay Vincent era... but I might be misremembering that.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 1/29/2022 at 3:56 PM, FiddySicks said:

God, this league is such a sham. 

I would say "Let me introduce you to Major League Soccer," but I know you are fully aware.

• Like 3
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.