NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

It will be interesting to see what Bettman does here. He tends to drop not so subtle hints on cities that need new arenas and always pushes local governments to cover the cost of them. Then if the local governments put up a fight he threatens relocation. With the whole Phoenix situation, I wonder if he will put up a massive fight to keep the Flames in Calgary if it comes down to it? If I read the article on TSN correctly, the reason it got terminated is because neither side signed off on something to do with construction by a certain date which automatically caused the termination. I don't think the Flames owners are going to move the team. It is probably one of the most stable ownerships and markets in the league. I know a few years ago when Brian Burke was their president, he threw out the line about there being a nice new arena in Quebec City that they could move to if a new arena deal didn't get done. In the end, they will pull the same strategy that Katz did and they'll get their new arena. I know when Nansheed was mayor in Calgary, he was very much opposed to the new arena but signed off on it in the end. I think that the new Calgary council will do the same thing in the end.

Calgary is Alberta's largest city and with the amount of oil and gas companies there, they won't let the team move. Too much profit there.

1 hour ago, kiwi_canadian said:

It will be interesting to see what Bettman does here. He tends to drop not so subtle hints on cities that need new arenas and always pushes local governments to cover the cost of them. Then if the local governments put up a fight he threatens relocation. With the whole Phoenix situation, I wonder if he will put up a massive fight to keep the Flames in Calgary if it comes down to it? If I read the article on TSN correctly, the reason it got terminated is because neither side signed off on something to do with construction by a certain date which automatically caused the termination. I don't think the Flames owners are going to move the team. It is probably one of the most stable ownerships and markets in the league. I know a few years ago when Brian Burke was their president, he threw out the line about there being a nice new arena in Quebec City that they could move to if a new arena deal didn't get done. In the end, they will pull the same strategy that Katz did and they'll get their new arena. I know when Nansheed was mayor in Calgary, he was very much opposed to the new arena but signed off on it in the end. I think that the new Calgary council will do the same thing in the end.

Calgary is Alberta's largest city and with the amount of oil and gas companies there, they won't let the team move. Too much profit there.

I agree, though I could see Bettman and the BoG making more of a threat to Calgary than to Arizona, given their priorities.

I know Bettman doesnt want to lose another American market by moving it to Canada, so if for some reason they cant get things done in Calgary,  moving the team to Quebec would keep the team in Canada to keep hockey fans happy (except in Calgary), while Arizona can play in an abandoned shed in the middle of an Arizona desert and Gary can remain happy.

• Like 2

Signature intentionally left blank

The impression I get isn't that the NHL doesn't want a Quebec City team at the expense of an American market; it's more that they don't want a Quebec City team, period

In any event, the Flames have 11 years left on their Saddledome lease, so even if they were considering it, they ain't moving anywhere anytime soon.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, RyanMcD29 said:

Time to drag this back to the usual point of emphasis in this thread

Can we get at least one Tempe City Council meeting out of this? It won't be the same as Glendale but we need one more of these before the inevitable implosion. For old time's sake. 

• Like 1

I realize I may get absolutely man-handled for even suggesting this, but just  a random , probably stupid thought:

I know that StateFarm Stadium is in Glendale as well, but is there a possibility they could play there temporarily? The Cards are only there every 2 weeks on average.

I'm sure it would be a logistical and organizational nightmare, but just a thought I guess.

sig.png

4 hours ago, IceCap said:

Can we get at least one Tempe City Council meeting out of this? It won't be the same as Glendale but we need one more of these before the inevitable implosion. For old time's sake. 

I’ll volunteer to represent the Coyotes while dressed like this:

spacer.png

• Like 3

3 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

Why exactly?

Google the definition of insanity.

Then Google how many chances the Coyotes franchise has had after moving from Winnipeg.

Then crawl out from under a rock.

• Like 10

VmWIn6B.png

41 minutes ago, LMU said:

Google the definition of insanity.

Then Google how many chances the Coyotes franchise has had after moving from Winnipeg.

Then crawl out from under a rock.

I'm fully aware of the situation, but I will never understand some hockey fans' obsession with relishing the failures of certain franchises/markets. 

21 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

I'm fully aware of the situation, but I will never understand some hockey fans' obsession with relishing the failures of certain franchises/markets. 

I'm relishing in the fact that the franchise has had many opportunities to show that they deserve to have a home in Arizona, because it's one of Bettman's babies, and they have failed every time.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, JayMac said:

I'm relishing in the fact that the franchise has had many opportunities to show that they deserve to have a home in Arizona, because it's one of Bettman's babies, and they have failed every time.

It's the kid that, by now,  should at least graduate from college, be able to be reasonably self-sufficient, pay their taxes, and any outstanding debts.... only then will they be able to obtain property and pay off the mortgage. 

• Like 2

I saw, I came, I left.