Interesting Sports Facts and Statistics

fouhy12

The winner of the Stanley Cup this year will end the longest drought between a team's 1st and 2nd win.

The Bruins took 10 years to win their 2nd championship (1929 and 1939). In the expansion era though, the gap was at most 5 years (Devils in 1995 and 2000, Avalanche in 1996 and 2001). Original 6 era franchise records in italics.

10 seasons - Bruins

6 seasons - Canadiens

5 seasons - Avalanche, Devils, Rangers

4 seasons - Blackhawks, Toronto

3 seasons - Blackhawks

2 seasons - Bruins, Kings

1 season - Canadiens, Flyers, Islanders, Oilers, Penguins, Red Wings, Red Wings, Senators 1.0

If the Lightning win, it'll break a 15 season drought while if the Stars win, it'll end a 20 season gap! 

Dipping into European soccer:

Only one player has ever scored a hat trick in domestic competition against a team managed by Pep Guardiola. Its Jamie Vardy, and he's now done it twice.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, JayMac said:

To add to your fact, Robin Roberts, Phillies hall of fame pitcher, is the only pitcher in history to beat the Braves in those three cities.

66.7% of all players in MLB history with the first name of Robin are Hall of Famers.

Damn you, Ventura!

• Like 3

It's where I sit.

15 hours ago, mrcubfan415 said:

There have been three MLB teams that have based in three different cities over the course of their franchise history:

- Braves (Boston, Milwaukee, Atlanta)

- Athletics (Philadelphia, Kansas City, Oakland)

- Orioles (Milwaukee, St. Louis, Baltimore)

For the NFL:

Washington FT (Boston, Washington (and Landover MD is of course another city but within DC metro))

Cardinals (Chicago, St. Louis, Phoenix metro (Tempe/Glendale)

Rams (Cleveland, St. Louis, Los Angeles)

Titans (Houston, Memphis, Nashville)

Raiders (Oakland, Los Angeles, Las Vegas)

NBA:

Hawks (Tri Cities, Milwaukee, St. Louis, Atlanta)

Wizards (Chicago, Baltimore, Washington (as well as Landover MD))

Pelicans (Charlotte (original hornets), New Orleans, OKC (temporarily))

Clippers (Buffalo, San Diego, Los Angeles (and soon to be Inglewood in the LA metro))

Kings (Rochester, Cincinnati, Kansas City (also played in Omaha), Sacramento

Warriors

NHL:

Hurricanes (Hartford, Greensboro, Raleigh)

Devils (Kansas City, Denver, East Rutherford, Newark)

Coyotes (Winnipeg, Phoenix, Glendale)

Off the top of the dome, Some listed technically (moving within metro area/media market).

1 hour ago, TrueYankee26 said:

For the NFL:

Washington FT (Boston, Washington (and Landover MD is of course another city but within DC metro))

Cardinals (Chicago, St. Louis, Phoenix metro (Tempe/Glendale)

Rams (Cleveland, St. Louis, Los Angeles)

Titans (Houston, Memphis, Nashville)

Raiders (Oakland, Los Angeles, Las Vegas)

NBA:

Hawks (Tri Cities, Milwaukee, St. Louis, Atlanta)

Wizards (Chicago, Baltimore, Washington (as well as Landover MD))

Pelicans (Charlotte (original hornets), New Orleans, OKC (temporarily))

Clippers (Buffalo, San Diego, Los Angeles (and soon to be Inglewood in the LA metro))

Kings (Rochester, Cincinnati, Kansas City (also played in Omaha), Sacramento

Warriors

NHL:

Hurricanes (Hartford, Greensboro, Raleigh)

Devils (Kansas City, Denver, East Rutherford, Newark)

Coyotes (Winnipeg, Phoenix, Glendale)

Off the top of the dome, Some listed technically (moving within metro area/media market).

and only the Braves and Rams have won a championship in all three of their cities

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JayMac said:

To add to your fact, Robin Roberts, Phillies hall of fame pitcher, is the only pitcher in history to beat the Braves in those three cities.

Excellent fact! That's a lot less well-known than the fact that Eddie Mathews is the only player to have played for the Braves in all three cities.

9 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

66.7% of all players in MLB history with the first name of Robin are Hall of Famers.

Damn you, Ventura!

At the risk of bringing down the whole room, I will note that 100% of the Major League players with the first name Aurelio (all three of them) died young in car crashes.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

19 hours ago, mrcubfan415 said:

There have been three MLB teams that have based in three different cities over the course of their franchise history:

- Braves (Boston, Milwaukee, Atlanta)

- Athletics (Philadelphia, Kansas City, Oakland)

- Orioles (Milwaukee, St. Louis, Baltimore)

Technically, both today's Dodgers and Twins franchises could be added to the list. 😉

Brooklyn / Los Angeles
City of Brooklyn (1890-1897)
City of New York (1898-1955)
City of Los Angeles (1956-present)

Washington / Minnesota
Washington, D.C. (1901-1960)
City of Bloomington (1961-1981)
City of Minneapolis (1982-present)

19 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

Technically, there have been five: the three you cited, and today's Dodgers and Twins franchises. 😉

Brooklyn / Los Angeles
City of Brooklyn (1890-1897)
City of New York (1898-1955)
City of Los Angeles (1956-present)

Washington / Minnesota
Washington, D.C. (1901-1960)
City of Bloomington (1961-1981)
City of Minneapolis (1982-present)

If we're splitting hairs like that, than the Braves should have four cities: Boston, Milwaukee, Atlanta, and Cumberland, their new home. I know you're joking, but for accuracy's sake I'll chime in.

the user formerly known as cdclt

27 minutes ago, QCS said:

If we're splitting hairs like that, than the Braves should have four cities: Boston, Milwaukee, Atlanta, and Cumberland, their new home. I know you're joking, but for accuracy's sake I'll chime in.

While I was having a bit of fun, I wasn't really "splitting hairs". The franchise that is today's Dodgers did play in three different cities, as Brooklyn wasn't consolidated into the City of New York until 1898. Further, Bloomington and Minneapolis, Minnesota are two distinct municipalities within the Minneapolis-Saint Paul Metro Area. 

As for "accuracy's sake", I was going to cite Cumberland, Georgia... but it isn't a city. It's a community improvement district within Cobb County. Whatever the hell that is. 😄     

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Tom Brady's skills and vision transfered into his baseball game, in his early days. He ended up getting drafted by the Montreal Expos, before ultimately turning my team down because he wanted to switch to football.

It's crazy knowning that the greatest QB of all-time was almost a Montreal Expo.

Enj4P8RXEAAn5i2?format=jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

Tom Brady's skills and vision transfered into his baseball game, in his early days. He ended up getting drafted by the Montreal Expos, before ultimately turning my team down because he wanted to switch to football.

It's crazy knowning that the greatest QB of all-time was almost a Montreal Expo.

Enj4P8RXEAAn5i2?format=jpg

I didn't know Joe Montana almost played for the Expos!

Kidding aside, I had no idea he played baseball, let alone, drafted by a major league baseball team. 

That means that the 1999 Michigan Wolverines had two baseball players behind center with Brady and Drew Henson.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I just learned about this so maybe it's already been mentioned...

Goalie Mike Murphy appeared in two NHL games. He gave up no goals. Career record: 0-1.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=90954

• Like 1

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)