MLB 2016 Changes

FiddySicks

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

Man, the league has been heavy on the throwbacks the past few weeks.

Indeed - in fact, it seems like there have been more throwbacks worn this year compared to previous years.  No complaints from me.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

19 hours ago, WavePunter said:

Those look pretty darn close.. Not sure I see much/any difference..

While they should be using this logo:

pg2nd7jq4dt39n4pp3kwznkfe.gif

They are instead using this logo (albeit on a kelly green cap). They use this one on all post-1972 throwbacks, even though this logo debuted in 1993:

7qhqw3dgcot1g01bhcgi4zuac.gif

Note the longer serif on the bottom left left, the pointier letter end on the right, and the increased space between the three elements (the A, the apostrophe, and the s). We here frequently call out New Era for using inaccurate cap logos on their throwback caps (for teams like the Dodgers, Brewers, Orioles, and so on), but we never mention the A's in any of these discussions. I find that odd.

3 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

While they should be using this logo:

pg2nd7jq4dt39n4pp3kwznkfe.gif

They are instead using this logo (albeit on a kelly green cap). They use this one on all post-1972 throwbacks, even though this logo debuted in 1993:

7qhqw3dgcot1g01bhcgi4zuac.gif

Note the longer serif on the bottom left left, the pointier letter end on the right, and the increased space between the three elements (the A, the apostrophe, and the s). We here frequently call out New Era for using inaccurate cap logos on their throwback caps (for teams like the Dodgers, Brewers, Orioles, and so on), but we never mention the A's in any of these discussions. I find that odd.

They certainly seem to differ a bit more in the digital version than photos of actual caps, but I'll take your word for it.. New Era should definitely pay more attention to detail and strive for accuracy, but I'd consider this one of their lesser transgressions

23 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

As a Marlins fan since their inception I can tell you that opening the roof will not be what brings more fans. I'm not getting into the debate about why our attendance is so low because that's an entirely different conversation but leaving the roof open more isn't what it's gonna take. Also, not just you but all the recent talk about Florida fans being pansies for not wanting to sit in the heat for an outdoor game? That's ridiculous and a bit of an extreme view to take. I understand the attendance for Rangers games is way about ours but go to one of those near-100 degree Texas day games and poll all the fans and let me know how many of them wouldn't take a retractable roof with the AC pumping over sitting in that heat. I understand the difference in aesthetics but the comfort level for the fans is of importance as well.

Edit: Just looked back through the thread again and while others have similar opinions there's only one user calling fans wussies and pansies for enjoying an indoor ballgame so just wanted to clarify who I'm specifically speaking about here.

CpN3Y0uUkAAEAES.jpg

I just saw this pic of Safeco today with the roof half open to prevent glare on the big screen. I wonder if Marlins Park could benefit from keeping the roof half open. How is the weather down there in April and May? I'm sure the temperature inside wouldn't be quite as perfect as if the roof were closed, but it would be good enough for a good outdoor baseball game experience.

marlinsparkopeningday.jpg?w=1000&h=613

9 minutes ago, daveindc said:

CpN3Y0uUkAAEAES.jpg

I just saw this pic of Safeco today with the roof half open to prevent glare on the big screen. I wonder if Marlins Park could benefit from keeping the roof half open. How is the weather down there in April and May? I'm sure the temperature inside wouldn't be quite as perfect as if the roof were closed, but it would be good enough for a good outdoor baseball game experience.

marlinsparkopeningday.jpg?w=1000&h=613

The weather is really nice for these two months and the precipitations aren't that bad...

Screenshot_2016-08-06-21-02-46.png

Screenshot_2016-08-06-21-02-53.png

8 hours ago, phutmasterflex said:

They're doing it once again, just like last year. 

Sigh...Today's ballplayers have no sense of aesthetic appeal.  The A's dont wear stripped hosiery

al_1981_oakland.gif

Between the overly baggy uniforms and the stripe fetish, Throwback games are a joke.  Is it so hard to play along and look the part for one game. 

Clippers.gif
UCLA.gif

On 6/8/2016 at 3:37 AM, SilverBullet1929 said:

As a Marlins fan since their inception I can tell you that opening the roof will not be what brings more fans. I'm not getting into the debate about why our attendance is so low because that's an entirely different conversation but leaving the roof open more isn't what it's gonna take. Also, not just you but all the recent talk about Florida fans being pansies for not wanting to sit in the heat for an outdoor game? That's ridiculous and a bit of an extreme view to take. I understand the attendance for Rangers games is way about ours but go to one of those near-100 degree Texas day games and poll all the fans and let me know how many of them wouldn't take a retractable roof with the AC pumping over sitting in that heat. I understand the difference in aesthetics but the comfort level for the fans is of importance as well.

Edit: Just looked back through the thread again and while others have similar opinions there's only one user calling fans wussies and pansies for enjoying an indoor ballgame so just wanted to clarify who I'm specifically speaking about here.

Well, i was just joking, but then again, maybe not.

People has gotten lazy and fat, not wanting to do anything, it takes pokemon to get people to use their feet, why should heat and sunshine not bother them as well. They also get offended and "triggered" by the smallest things.

Imagine this generation go through hard times like war etc.

Nah, i will stick by calling most folk these days wussies and pansies.

"No dad, i don't wanna go to the ballgame, it might be too hot or it could start raining....waaaahhh !!

3 hours ago, Thomas said:

People has gotten lazy and fat, not wanting to do anything, it takes pokemon to get people to use their feet, why should heat and sunshine not bother them as well. They also get offended and "triggered" by the smallest things.

"No dad, i don't wanna go to the ballgame, it might be too hot or it could start raining....waaaahhh !!

I bet you buy your food from a supermarket instead of hunting it yourself- 

Wuss

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

5 hours ago, Thomas said:

You must be fun at parties

14 hours ago, uuh70 said:

Sigh...Today's ballplayers have no sense of aesthetic appeal.  The A's dont wear stripped hosiery

al_1981_oakland.gif

Between the overly baggy uniforms and the stripe fetish, Throwback games are a joke.  Is it so hard to play along and look the part for one game. 

Unfortunately, majestic just uses their stock sizes for throwback uniforms as well, and produces them to the same specs.. It would be nice if they brash to offer each item in a "throwback cut" and while they're sizing the players, ask each one if they would be willing to wear the throwback cut for throwback games.. Wouldn't be too much extra work, and would ensure a fair number of players actually look the part..

Archived