2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

That would be called an illustration. Nothing wrong with that on its own merit...

But an :interpretation" of a shark is conceptually more interesting, symbolic and personally more interesting.

The new Sharks logo looks like a still from a Disney movie... truly a "Here'ssssssssss Brucie..." from Finding Nemo for sure--- which is not sophisticated nor very cool.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like they based it off something they found on the cutting room floor of Disney's Mighty Ducks, the Animated Series.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

2 hours ago, NeverSayNever said:

How many NHL primaries are actually as simple as "we" demand new logos to be?

Ready for the answer?

Ducks. Sabres. Flames. Hurricanes. Stars. Oilers. Canadians. Devils. Islanders. Flyers. Blues. Lightning. Maple Leafs. All as simple or more simple than the attached sample of "CLEAN"...

Screen Shot 2016-08-10 at 4.50.50 PM.png

I think the Ducks, Canes, and Stars are all right around the level of detail of this new shark. The Sabres and the Islanders have very, very detailed logos, but done in a flat style. I guess it depends on your definition of simplicity.  I'd bet 99 out of 100 people could more accurately recreate the shark from memory than remembering what Long Island would look like if Brooklyn and Queens didn't exist. The Sabres have stupid outlines on every part of their logo.

It's unironically trying to be edgy and dynamic when in reality what they need is something much more subdued, elegant and, yes, iconic. Something that doesn't look like it will be again outdated in 5 years.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

On August 9, 2016 at 3:57 PM, WSU151 said:

It's a pretty cool update...the teeth just look weird (and ridiculously unrealistic)  It looks like the shark got veneer implants and is trying to show them off by constantly laughing at bad jokes.  

You're worried about it being realistic? It's a teal shark with orange sclera. It's not going to be realistic. 

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

New Sharks logo looks like this, new Sharks logo looks like that.

Maybe it's just me, but it looks like an illustration of a shark in the style of their current branding.

9 hours ago, hockey week said:

I just realized what my issue is:

The fin on the top is HUGE and bigger than the tapering triangle of the bottom. It's unbalanced that way. That's actually more glaring than the oversized teeth, imo

I agree, the fin is way too big. If they shrunk that down then this would make for a decent jersey crest. If anything I'd like to see this replace the current full body shark.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

23 minutes ago, Thomas said:

team USA in Adidas  ? <_<:mad:

The team is not controlled by USA Hockey. All of the teams have no affiliation with their national federations, as the tournament is being run by the NHL. Thus, Nike has no involvement.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

1 hour ago, NeverSayNever said:

That's smokin' hot... although a sense an Adidas three stripe that's hidden which will detract from the overall appeal.

Yep. They run from the armpits down to the hem. You can see a bit of them peeking out.

I took a look at all of the jerseys on NHL Shop, and noticed a couple of things. The NA U23 team inverts the colours on their sleeve numbers (orange outined in black on the back, black outlined in orange on the sleeves). Also, I wish Team Europe would've used two-tone nameplates, because this looks bush league:

ff_2532575alt3_full.jpg&w=600

One thing that I do like about this tournament is that every team has a unique font. One of the biggest problems with Nike is that so many countries shared a font.

On 8/10/2016 at 11:19 PM, hockey week said:

I just realized what my issue is:

5464_san_jose_sharks-secondary-2017.png

The fin on the top is HUGE and bigger than the tapering triangle of the bottom. It's unbalanced that way. That's actually more glaring than the oversized teeth, imo

Am I the only person seeing significant similarities to the RoboPenguin here?

Archived