2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

59 minutes ago, FGM13 said:

I think it graduated to full-blown alt status.

IT ALREADY IS THE THIRD JERSEY!!! 

I mean... The third jersey the Jets have ever unveiled... :D

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, CS85 said:

That's a great look, but their current set is still pretty solid, IMHO.

I agree. The Heritage Classic uniform can't replace the modern set they're using. But it's still a darn fine looking heritage uniform.

7 hours ago, Morgo said:

Nor should they, the Thrashers brand was a mess from the inaugural season to the final.  The astonishing thing was that it got worse with every change.  First the logos didn't match, then the jerseys didn't match.  Then during the 'Reebok Edge' rollout, both uniforms were completely massacred and put on the worst templates possible.  And as bad as their 'Edge' set was, it still couldn't prepare you for what could easily be considered the worst NHL uniform of all time.

The 2006-07 season was the only season that the Thrashers looked good. I'm a traditionalist but I have a soft spot for that asymmetrical jersey, or at least the version they wore before the Edge massacre.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

21 hours ago, twi said:

When we get to year 25 of the Stadium Series games and all good or even not terrible ideas have been exhausted then we'll get the Calgary-Winnipeg clash in Atlanta, complete with Flames and Thrashers jerseys lol. Until then I guess we just have to preemptively complain about things nobody was going to say anyway. 

I'll be surprised if the league ever uses the Stadium Series to showcase the fact that they failed in a city...twice.

Fans may have to just enjoy "Thank You, Atlanta" nights.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

22 hours ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

I'm surprised it took the Jets this long to roll out a throwback. That being said, I think this is the right choice.

They've only been around for five years. Better to give them space to establish their own identity first.

18 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

IT ALREADY IS THE THIRD JERSEY!!! 

I mean... The third jersey the Jets have ever unveiled... :D

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Those Jets heritage classic jerseys are OK I guess, but they are so bland. That logo is the epitome of generic. Lets write the team name and have a little generic drawing of a jet inside a red 7Up spot. There you go done.

But lets face it. Every logo/jersey the Jets have ever had were dull. Including the current Jets.

Its a pity that Edmonton didn't come up with something instead of just using the alternates.

It would have been kinda cool seeing those old orange logo jerseys.

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/156/files/2010/08/Orange-orange..jpg

The Catch of the Day!

You know, not including the ATLANTA sleeve that many people dislike, the Thrashers power blue jersey was never well-designed. Even when it wasn't an Edge jersey, there was still weird piping, and mesh material on the sides.

dNEHRNL.jpg

Of course after that they went full Edge (although the Edge version is actually better than the original IMO)

msn4aWV.jpg

rIY52I2.jpg

I think that if the Jets had a traditional uniform but with one sleeve having a long stripe that says WINNIPEG it would look really good and it would pay homage to the Thrashers. 

I thoroughly disagree.  While the piping and mesh material detract from the design, at least it has a proper hem stripe and not those hideous side panels that box-in the logo while completely disrupting the flow and colour balance.  I also hate how the right sleeve yoke inexplicably tapers, at the bottom, making it look like the word mark was squeezed into it...  On the pre-edge version; the word mark could at least breathe.

57 minutes ago, Ark said:

I think that if the Jets had a traditional uniform but with one sleeve having a long stripe that says WINNIPEG it would look really good and it would pay homage to the Thrashers.

They don't need to, they don't want to, and it wouldn't even look good.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 minutes ago, the admiral said:

1 hour ago, Ark said:

They don't need to, they don't want to, and it wouldn't even look good.

I agree. I firmly support the Damnatio memoriae of the Thrashers' visual identity by the Winnipeg Jets. The best thing the Thrashers (a mistake of a team) ever did for their visual identity was their move to Winnipeg.

Those powder blue Thrashers jerseys are among my least favourites in sports, I can't fathom why anyone would want to bring them back.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

The most the Jets should actually homage the Thrashers is make a powder blue jersey at some point...maybe not even a third jersey, just a one-off. Doesn't have to look like any Thrashers anything, just be powder blue, which is already one of their colors-ish. Sure, it might be as "in words only" as the Senators insisting their SENS alt was "vintage" because it had a laceup collar, but they really shouldn't bother celebrating the terrible times in Atlanta beyond lip service.

I wouldn't be terribly opposed to a Thrashers-esque one-off jersey, but nothing more.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Again, the Jets don't own the rights to the Thrashers. The Quorum of Idiots does. The Jets own the rights to the Jets. The history book says it's the same organization, but if they can't market those logos or uniforms, the history, such as it is, is rather hard to claim, isn't it?

1 minute ago, the admiral said:

Again, the Jets don't own the rights to the Thrashers. The Quorum of Idiots does. The Jets own the rights to the Jets. The history book says it's the same organization, but if they can't market those logos or uniforms, the history, such as it is, is rather hard to claim, isn't it?

Well then, that kinda makes it all a moot point anyway. It can't be done.

...beyond something as simple as a color and paying some lip service to "time in Atlanta" (notice I don't say "Thrashers" anywhere) as a one-off, which is all I'd ever want anyway.

If anything, putting the Thrashers off-limits is the best thing possible for the Jets.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

The True North franchise has the Jets' intellectual property but not their records. They have the Thrashers' records, but not their intellectual property. The Cleveland Deal is a screwed-up piece of record-keeping as it is and the NHL, as only they could, screwed it up further.

The Jets uniforms seem to look better with every passing year.  No reason to try and mimic uniforms that were clearly of their time.  That being said; if they want to do a tribute to the Thrashers, that doesn't sacrifice their own identity, they should do it with colours.  Have a Light Blue jersey with Maroon & White striping, and subtle nods to the Thrashers aesthetic.  Maybe incorporate the arrows from the collars and hem stripes in some way, as long as it remains rooted in traditional hockey aesthetics.

9 hours ago, BlazerBlaze said:

I think I speak for all of Atlanta when I say "screw all of you"

Except nobody has said "screw Atlanta". As far as Winnipeg is concerned, they have the Jets back. The fans simply don't and have no reason to care about their time as the Thrashers. Why would they? I'm sorry if that bothers you, but that's just how it is.

9 hours ago, Morgo said:

That being said; if they want to do a tribute to the Thrashers, that doesn't sacrifice their own identity, they should do it with colours.

I always saw their use of double blue as a carryover from the Thrashers, albeit reversed and the lighter shade adjusted. Navy remaining the primary colour like it originally was for the Thrashers. If you look at it that way their uniform now is already quite similar.

As a sidenote; for something that was hastily cobbled together at the last minute, the current Jets look has really grown on me.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Archived