Cosmic

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

Given the roster, the Wild should at least have found a way to open up the playoffs at home once.  In fact, they looked at times like a team that would.  But they always went on a six-week streak where they just cannot play.  Every year.  To what degree that's on Yeo, I don't know.  But the Wild, since the Parise/Suter signing have been a disappointment to say the least. 

I feel like they adopted the mindset that they don't really need to work to be a good hockey team since Yeo came. And that usually ends up happening sometime in December, where they play great, and then after just one bad goal, the team backs away and gives up... They won like 4 games all of last year when the other team scores first. (Including 2 against the Avs...) That's probably why they end up losing like 20 games in a row. And the funny thing is that Suter and Parise are the best players on the Wild roster too... I really hope that this last year is a wakeup call for the Wild. THEY'RE the ones that got Yeo fired. He's actually a very good coach... THEY'RE the ones that nearly missed the playoffs. THEY'RE the ones that need to step up, even when things go bad. Which after watching the playoffs last year, I think can happen. Pominville, Koivu, Granlund, Spurgeon... They all stepped up, and had outstanding playoffs while playing all of 6 games. Pominville stepped up big time with 7 points in 6 games, Koivu had 3 goals, including BOTH game winners, and the game 5 tying goal... They CAN be that good of a team, but they're mental mindset DESPERATELY needs to change... 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

24 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

I feel like they adopted the mindset that they don't really need to work to be a good hockey team since Yeo came. And that usually ends up happening sometime in December, where they play great, and then after just one bad goal, the team backs away and gives up... They won like 4 games all of last year when the other team scores first. (Including 2 against the Avs...) That's probably why they end up losing like 20 games in a row. And the funny thing is that Suter and Parise are the best players on the Wild roster too... I really hope that this last year is a wakeup call for the Wild. THEY'RE the ones that got Yeo fired. He's actually a very good coach... THEY'RE the ones that nearly missed the playoffs. THEY'RE the ones that need to step up, even when things go bad. Which after watching the playoffs last year, I think can happen. Pominville, Koivu, Granlund, Spurgeon... They all stepped up, and had outstanding playoffs while playing all of 6 games. Pominville stepped up big time with 7 points in 6 games, Koivu had 3 goals, including BOTH game winners, and the game 5 tying goal... They CAN be that good of a team, but they're mental mindset DESPERATELY needs to change... 

It was funny to hear people complain that they hired a coach who's great in the regular season but not in the playoffs...right now they need someone that can get them going in the regular season. I tend to agree with you, though, that it was no Yeo's fault.  They just seem like an unmotivated group.  I am not sure any coach can change that but unfortuantel, for Yeo, they pretty much have to try.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I mean, I kinda get that Boudreau had to go, if for no other reason than that such a repetitive cycle of losing in the playoffs is something that eventually becomes a team culture problem as much as anything, but...Randy Carlyle? Bob Murray and the Ducks' brass must be the biggest sadomasochists on earth. 

@Still MIGHTY, the floor is yours.

spacer.png

What exactly has Ken Hitchcock done to deserve an entire year as a victory lap? Yeah, there was that time he won a championship with a checkbook team, but that was 17 years ago. 

^The above was left in my reply box after I opted not to bother posting it. Now I see the Ducks brought back Randy Carlyle. I don't know which move is dumber.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

If the expansion is official then so be it. Honestly, I never thought Las Vegas' first professional sports team would be from the NHL of all places. I thought the NBA would've been a more likely choice, if anything.

So the Raiders are totally moving to Vegas next year, right?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

2 hours ago, Kramerica Industries said:
I mean, I kinda get that Boudreau had to go, if for no other reason than that such a repetitive cycle of losing in the playoffs is something that eventually becomes a team culture problem as much as anything, but...Randy Carlyle? Bob Murray and the Ducks' brass must be the biggest sadomasochists on earth.

I don't mind Carlyle returning as long as they're not going back to dump-n-chase, "defending the lead" hockey. Otherwise, I'll be on the lookout for a Ducks branded pillow.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

In the realm of dumb coaching decisions, Dan Cloutier was just named the goaltending coach for the Vancouver Canucks.

Alright then.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

26 minutes ago, Brass said:

In the realm of dumb coaching decisions, Dan Cloutier was just named the goaltending coach for the Vancouver Canucks.

Alright then.

Dan Cloutier's Goaltending Drills:

Drill #1: "How to Defend the Centre Ice Shot"

Example: not like this

Incidentally, if you look up Dan Ellis' goaltending drills, that's also the first drill he gives. 

spacer.png

Dan Cloutier as a "goaltending coach" is the pure manifestation of the phrase "do as I say, not as I do."

what the hell is ccslc?

1 hour ago, jmac11281 said:

We will be here in 10 years and Quebec will still not have a team. This is an absolute joke. I don't want to hear the Canadian dollar BS excuse.

Quebec City will be the relocation winner.  Though with the Florida Panthers settling in with a new foundation, maybe it'll be the Hurricanes.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

3 hours ago, Kramerica Industries said:

@Still MIGHTY, the floor is yours.

Sighhhhhhhhhhh...

Randy Carlyle.

If Randy is to be believed from his press conference, he said that he's changed from the first time/his time in Toronto/his time in unemployment, he understands what you need to do to in today's NHL, he know what the "modern athlete" needs. He did show a little bit of that change at the presser... He cracked a joke!

Bottom line is, this is a move for right now, like immediately. This isn't a long-term plan. This is having a guy that won a Cup with this team's two best players (Getzlaf/Perry) coming into this group that is downtrodden, confidence beaten, mentally broken. The idea is that those players have seen what's happened, knows what they need to do, and will all buy in from a guy who's done it with this franchise for a right now shot at the Cup. Carlyle can't come in with the exact same mentality as before, and hopefully all his talk about learning and changing is true. (He's also been watching the Ducks in the press box at the Pond for the last 6 months, so he's seen it all up close.) Ultimately, Randy can come in and just say to everyone "sacrifice for the team for one season and give it your all" and it can work.

So as much as I don't like going back to a coach and as much as I remember the end of Randy's stint and all the dump-and-chase, lead-defending, excruciating 2-1 hockey games... Carlyle is still the winningest coach in team history, won a Cup with these two stars and the same management group. He can come in right now and rally them in a one or two year shot. That's all he's gonna get (as his previous stint shows, that's all will be allowed). That's all this team is going to get before the really big changes (i.e. cleaning house) comes in.

And all that said, Scott Niedermayer, Chris Pronger, Teemu Selanne, and J.S. Giguere aren't walking through that door to lead this team either. This group has to change its mentality to get to where it wants to be. That's, hopefully, what Carlyle can do.

Or it'll be a big :censored: ing mess. Who knows!

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

2 hours ago, DarkJourney said:

gary-bettman.jpg

Funny. Bettman had the same look on his face the last time he visited Glendale, Arizona...

ISEKVyF.jpg

what the hell is ccslc?

Archived