2016 MLB Post Season Thread

PittsburghSucks

1 hour ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Both teams have a year's worth of reasons to not doubt them, but they've had about 140 years between them that the fanbases have trouble forgetting.

It does.  That FOX video with all the seniors that were waiting for this moment was heartbreaking.  A lot of people going to be crushed after waiting so long.

I can't even imagine. The Cubs need this because people have lived full lives and their kids have kids since the last one. The Indians need this because that hard look in the mirror that was 30 for 30 came out and, "the mistake by the lake" could be title town all of the sudden.

If the Clippers make it out of the second round my year is made. I know those cities are on a different high.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Why the hell won't Lester throw to first? Is it a mental thing? Does he look like a doofus when he throws over? I don't get it. Even a soft toss over to first would be better than nothing. 

EDIT: Nice make up call on that called 3rd strike. Lester got screwed on the previous pitch. 

From what I've been able to see, it's basically a weird variant of the yips, combined with him being something of an awkward looking fielder.  I remember a start he made against the Brewers last season, where they dared him to throw to first, he tried once...and airmailed it like Chuck Knoblauch, emboldening the Brewers to run with impunity...and they're not exactly full of Rickey Hendersons and Ty Cobbs.  I can't remember how many bases they stole off Lester, but it was probably their season high.

7 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Huh.  When did the Indians trade for DeGromm?

:D That's what I was wondering...there's one guy I'm glad the Cubs didn't see this postseason.

7 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Ike Turner warming up in the Cubs bullpen. 

Naw, man, he used to be the telephone pole outside my house :D

Man, though...between the Irish making things harder than they needed to be, the Badgers going to OT, the Cubs trying to add to the gray hairs I'm already starting to get, and the Packers running out of time, I need a break :P

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

28 minutes ago, Discrimihater said:

From what I've been able to see, it's basically a weird variant of the yips, combined with him being something of an awkward looking fielder.  I remember a start he made against the Brewers last season, where they dared him to throw to first, he tried once...and airmailed it like Chuck Knoblauch, emboldening the Brewers to run with impunity...and they're not exactly full of Rickey Hendersons and Ty Cobbs.  I can't remember how many bases they stole off Lester, but it was probably their season high.

They stole 5 bases in that game last August and another one this past July.... and yet Milwaukee lost both games (Gave up 5 HR's in 1 game, blew a 4-0 lead at home the other)

Cleveland fans made too many jokes about the Warriors blowing a 3-1 lead. The sports gods are laughing. Also, the Indians are one win away from the World Series and Cleveland sports radio will spend 75% of their day on the hapless Browns blowing a lead against the Jets. 

Bryan Price and Dusty Baker got together to watch the game last night. Price watched Chapman record an 8 out save last night and said "I was not aware you were allowed to pitch him before the 9th inning." "Must be a new rule.", dusty replied. 

I think the Cubs win game 6 with Arrieta and Schwarber as the DH. Game 7 goes to Cleveland with Kluber on the mound, but in their third go at him maybe the Cubs figure him out. This series is far from over. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

43 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Cleveland fans made too many jokes about the Warriors blowing a 3-1 lead. The sports gods are laughing. Also, the Indians are one win away from the World Series and Cleveland sports radio will spend 75% of their day on the hapless Browns blowing a lead against the Jets. 

Bryan Price and Dusty Baker got together to watch the game last night. Price watched Chapman record an 8 out save last night and said "I was not aware you were allowed to pitch him before the 9th inning." "Must be a new rule.", dusty replied. 

I think the Cubs win game 6 with Arrieta and Schwarber as the DH. Game 7 goes to Cleveland with Kluber on the mound, but in their third go at him maybe the Cubs figure him out. This series is far from over. 

How did baker get another managing gig? Anyways yeah I think this series will end up going to Cleveland kluber has been straight money this postseason so unless the cubs can solve him it is an almost guaranteed victory

2 hours ago, McCarthy said:

It's a day off.  There's no game to talk about tonight, so they should take the opportunity to get in other sports while they fit.

spacer.png

spacer.png

12 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

It's a day off.  There's no game to talk about tonight, so they should take the opportunity to get in other sports while they fit.

It's the first weekday drive time to talk about games 3, 4, and 5. There's plenty of baseball to cover that they haven't covered yet. Plus, it's the effing World Series vs the regular season of an 0-8 team. I know which one they should talk about more.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Cleveland sports radio is a cesspool. But don't worry. If the Indians win the World Series in the next few days, anyone who insists on talking about the Browns will look foolish and be forced out.

Cleveland sports for life!
"Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind." -The Doctor

Going into the three games at Wrigley, all I wanted was one win to make sure the series came back to Cleveland. (Pretty sure I even said that in this very thread) At the start of the series, if you had offered me the Tribe coming home for game 6 with a 3-2 lead, I would have taken it every single time. Not only are the Indians exactly where I wanted them to be, they're actually in better shape than I was hoping for. Going up 3-1 makes it easy to forget that. 

EDIT: And thank God we have a night off from this insanity. I'm too old for this :censored:. B) 

BB52Big.jpg

The talk was exactly the same after game 2, when everyone thought the Cubs were back and gonna win in 5. I had a feeling last night would be a loss because Bauer was bad in game 2 and it showed again last night after a bit. I'm more than pleased that the Indians won 2 of 3 in Chi-Town, because idk who would've thought they could actually pull off all 3 games. Glad to be back in Cleveland for game 6, because it just feels better being able to win the series at home.

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

It's the first weekday drive time to talk about games 3, 4, and 5. There's plenty of baseball to cover that they haven't covered yet. Plus, it's the effing World Series vs the regular season of an 0-8 team. I know which one they should talk about more.

Hah.  Good point.  Didn't think about that.  Still, sports radio should cover everything that's happening at the moment.  Even when a team is in the playoffs, hosts will set aside 30 minutes to an hour for another thing going on at the time, such as one of sixteen weekly games in an entire year.  Football has so little content that you gotta cover each game, not to mention a team starting a post-championship season.  I'd expect Indians talk to still cover 75-80% of conversation.

spacer.png

spacer.png

7 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Hah.  Good point.  Didn't think about that.  Still, sports radio should cover everything that's happening at the moment.  Even when a team is in the playoffs, hosts will set aside 30 minutes to an hour for another thing going on at the time, such as one of sixteen weekly games in an entire year.  Football has so little content that you gotta cover each game, not to mention a team starting a post-championship season.  I'd expect Indians talk to still cover 75-80% of conversation.

What? Do you live in some other dimension where the NFL isn't being talked about 24/7/365? If you do, send me directions because I want to live there too. 

BB52Big.jpg

1 hour ago, EvilChameleon said:

Cleveland sports radio is a cesspool. But don't worry. If the Indians win the World Series in the next few days, anyone who insists on talking about the Browns will look foolish and be forced out.

I stopped listening years ago. All they care about is the Browns and Ohio State (which ironically isn't even a Cleveland team).

10 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

What? Do you live in some other dimension where the NFL isn't being talked about 24/7/365? If you do, send me directions because I want to live there too. 

I mean the original content.  Like I said, you get a couple hours a week for sixteen weeks.

But, yeah... no.  Here it's mostly whatever's on at the time.  No football a week after the Super Bowl until training camp unless some news comes out in the offseason.  They've got Knicks/Nets and Rangers/Isles talk to cover the whole for a month until pitchers and catchers report and baseball talk starts to slowly leak in and eventually dominate for the warmer months.  That's besides the occasional jumps into golf/tennis because some hosts (especially Francesa) love it.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I don't think there's been much surprise in this series so far, save for the fact the Tribe are going back to Cuyahoga County up a game, rather than down one. I would've been more amazed had any folks thought this series was going to be a "4-1" series or less. But as to expected, you can spin the rest of the series in two narratives, whichever you prefer. Either the Cubs are in a great spot with Schwarber coming back in and Arrieta on the mound, adding to the pressure the Indians already have. Or if you want the other theory, Cleveland is in a great spot, taking two of three on the road, starting two pitchers who have been able to neutralize Cubs hitters and forced their opposing team to a razor thin victory on the road.

When I made my initial guess on FB, I said it would be either Cubs in 6 or Tribe in 7. I'm hoping I'm wrong on both fronts. 

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Need a 2015 outing from Arrieta tonight. Better be doing his yoga or pilates or whatever he does.

Not too worried about the Cubs' starters. Jake had a no-hitter in the 6th in Game 2, he'll be just fine.

Bottom line: If the Cubs bats don't do their thing, it's over.

6uXNWAo.png

Archived