2016 MLB Post Season Thread

PittsburghSucks

Just now, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Be honest...  You wanna get it as soon as possible and remove any doubt, or do you kinda wanna lose tomorrow for the chance to win in Cleveland?

Oh I want it done tomorrow. Progressive Field is going to be packed tomorrow anyway, along with the plazas outside, so...

Cleveland sports for life!
"Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind." -The Doctor

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, SabresRule7361 said:

I hope Cleveland blows a 3-1 lead for karma.

Just now, The Six said:

Thank you, thread, for reminding me that the Warriors blew a 3-1 lead in the Finals. Good times.

I've been searching for the better part of 30 minutes trying to find this excellent quality Simpsons gif that mocked the Warriors blowing a 3-1 lead,  I thought I was good at finding these memes, but I have utterly failed. 

Just like the Cubs.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

59 minutes ago, vicfurth said:

I agree with infrared.

I want the Cubs to win as much as the next guy, but recognize what's going on here. Cubs ran into a pitching buzz saw. 

You being a Rangers fan brings up a little nostalgia take...

The 2016 Indians are the second coming of the 2010 Giants. Timely hitting (that has a tendency to get explosive in big situations), studly pitching that shuts down offense-heavy juggernauts, and a closer who grew a beard in the second half of the season. Any team that reminds me of the 2010 Giants is a team worth supporting.

1 hour ago, KittSmith_95 said:

:censored: YOU CLEVELAND.

You guys already won twice this year (The Calder Cup does indeed count in my eyes). LeBron finally got a title for you. Isn't that enough? 

After seeing you slaughter Toronto twice, I hope you guys never touch a championship trophy. I don't care how good your pitching was. You did not deserve to win either title, and you know it. This..... this doesn't sit right with me as a sports fan. The Cubs should've won this World Series. Yes, they still have a slim chance..... but we all know that ain't gonna happen. The Warriors had the best regular season record & LeBron ruined that. You guys got spoiled this year. 

Enjoy this title, Cleveland. But do note you didn't win it fairly. 

Ok, let's do a close reading on this...

Bold Point #1: The Indians are a 94-win team, one that has an amazing rotation and bullpen, efficient offense, and a remarkable consistency (never lost four or more consecutive games). They have also gone 68 years without winning the World Series, and 19 years without winning the AL pennant. They're plenty deserving.

Bold Point #2: The Warriors ruined it for themselves. They got complacent, key members of the team disappeared in important moments, and speaking as a Warriors fan, those 73 wins were not reflective of the team's quality (given how often they "phoned it in" throughout the regular season and playoffs). Lebron just had to be himself, and propel the guys around him to step up their game against a complacent group of guys.

Bold Point #3: There's no evidence of any cheating. I'd say they're winning it fairly, and that you're being bitter because they beat your team. 

I'm sorry, guys.

I don't get angry like that often & I took out my anger in the worst way possible. I do know Cleveland hasn't won anything ever up till this year in a long time. I bet it feels good to finally have teams to root for again. I'm just frustrated that the Jays & Raptors got caught in the middle of this. That's what makes me fume. 

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

Of all the things I expected in this World Series, the Indians being up 3-1 wasn't any of them. Still a lot of baseball to be played. This thing is a long way from over. Ask the '68 Cardinals or the '79 Orioles about having a 3-1 lead in the World Series. This series isn't over until one of these teams wins its fourth game. 

BB52Big.jpg

5 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Be honest...  You wanna get it as soon as possible and remove any doubt, or do you kinda wanna lose tomorrow for the chance to win in Cleveland?

End it as soon as possible. Period. 

BB52Big.jpg

Get this thing done tomorrow if possible. Winning at the Jake would be amazing, but with this format, you gotta win no matter where you are. Having this team one win away hasn't sunk in yet, but tomorrow I'm gonna be jacked like no f'in other. Knowing how long it's been and what it's been like to be an Ohio sports fan, particularly of the Cleveland teams, I won't be taking this year or era for granted. It just feels so damn good.

14 minutes ago, The Six said:

Thank you, thread, for reminding me that the Warriors blew a 3-1 lead in the Finals. Good times.

I feel you, man.  At least your blowing wasn't so historic that people will talk about it unto the end of time, or that your darkest sports memory isn't a giggling memory to the team that's currently up 3-1.  Speaking of which.

1 minute ago, infrared41 said:

Of all the things I expected in this World Series, the Indians being up 3-1 wasn't any of them. Still a lot of baseball to be played. This thing is a long way from over. Ask the '68 Cardinals or the '79 Orioles about having a 3-1 lead in the World Series. This series isn't over until one of these teams wins its fourth game. 

Also ask the 2007 Indians.  Sorry, just had to.  Seriously, though, the ALDS was bad enough, but you had to let the Sox in on a second title?  You coulda had this a decade ago.

2 minutes ago, CS85 said:

I've been searching for the better part of 30 minutes trying to find this excellent quality Simpsons gif that mocked the Warriors blowing a 3-1 lead,  I thought I was good at finding these memes, but I have utterly failed. 

Just like the Cubs.

As it a Homer disappearing into the hedge gif?  I can see that done about the fans, or the offense, or the defense, or anything like that.

1 minute ago, KittSmith_95 said:

I'm sorry, guys.

I don't get angry like that often & I took out my anger in the worst way possible. I do know Cleveland hasn't won anything ever up till this year in a long time. I bet it feels good to finally have teams to root for again. I'm just frustrated that the Jays & Raptors got caught in the middle of this. That's what makes me fume. 

It's okay.  I feel you.  Refer back to the first thing I said in this post.  Being on the wrong side of history like this can be painful.  At least everyone doesn't hate you guys so much that they relish in it and rub it in your face.  Just take a deep breath.  We all get emotional.  Just do what I do and try and when an infuriating situation comes up get reasoning and analytical, not crazy.  XD

spacer.png

spacer.png

Hopefully karma doesn't bite Cleveland in the butt. Everyone has been making fun of the Warriors finals collapse all summer. One more win will be tough to get with Bauer starting for Cleveland in game 5 and Arietta for Chicago in game 6. I probably would have rolled the dice with Salazar or Merritt in game 5 and saved Miller.

17 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

You being a Rangers fan brings up a little nostalgia take...

The 2016 Indians are the second coming of the 2010 Giants. Timely hitting (that has a tendency to get explosive in big situations), studly pitching that shuts down offense-heavy juggernauts, and a closer who grew a beard in the second half of the season. Any team that reminds me of the 2010 Giants is a team worth supporting.

Ok, let's do a close reading on this...

Bold Point #1: The Indians are a 94-win team, one that has an amazing rotation and bullpen, efficient offense, and a remarkable consistency (never lost four or more consecutive games). They have also gone 68 years without winning the World Series, and 19 years without winning the AL pennant. They're plenty deserving.

Bold Point #2: The Warriors ruined it for themselves. They got complacent, key members of the team disappeared in important moments, and speaking as a Warriors fan, those 73 were not reflective of the team's quality (given how often they "phoned it in" throughout the regular season and playoffs). Lebron just had to be himself, and propel the guys around him to step up their game against a complacent group of guys.

Bold Point #3: There's no evidence of any cheating. I'd say they're winning it fairly, and that you're being bitter because they beat your team. 

Made that same comparison today. That Texas team was just happy to have made it, while the 2011 team was the heartbreaker. 

Also, you're a butt for bringing that up again. ;) I kid. The Lincecum vs Lee game was epic. 

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

29 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Nope. A Chicago win gives the Cubs a small injection of momentum. Teams are trained to go for the kill when they smell blood. Especially in Championship oppurtunities, they cannot afford to wait to win it at home.

5 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

It all depends on the way the wind is blowing.

Conventional wisdom would say this, but:

Last night, wind blowing straight out, 1-0 ballgame

Tonight, wind, albeit less strong, blowing in, 7-2 with 3 HRs hit.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

2 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

Nope. A Chicago win gives the Cubs a small injection of momentum. Teams are trained to go for the kill when they smell blood. Especially in Championship oppurtunities, they cannot afford to wait to win it at home.

The last few times such a situation happened, the team heading home for game 6 up 3-1 had to pull it out of the fire (Blue Jays game 6 both times, Braves 1-0 squeaker in '95) 

16 minutes ago, SabresRule7361 said:

The last few times such a situation happened, the team heading home for game 6 up 3-1 had to pull it out of the fire (Blue Jays game 6 both times, Braves 1-0 squeaker in '95) 

Toronto won their 92' title in Atlanta...

qvxym9f.png
Many thanks to Discrimihater for making the sig.

11 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Also ask the 2007 Indians.  Sorry, just had to.  Seriously, though, the ALDS was bad enough, but you had to let the Sox in on a second title?  You coulda had this a decade ago.

Tell me about it. I spent the last nine years of my life thinking about how that team should’ve been the one.

6fQjS3M.png

2016 in so many ways has been a year for me to forget in so many areas.

Personal (Weight issues), big-picture (the election, all these tragedies from Orlando to Dallas).

And sports hasn't given me much to cheer about- let me count thy ways:

College football- a million bad bowl games and the one good one, freaking Alabama wins again.

NFL- Terrible Super Bowl. Perhaps it's fitting that the NFL has a Super Bowl champion in the offensively-challenged Broncos.

NHL- Anyone but the Penguins- Nope.

NBA- Anyone but the Cavs- Nope

NASCAR- Go to my first race ever- basically a Joey Logano weekend (wins pole, fastest lap, most laps led, win)

College Basketball- Freaking Syracuse makes the Final Four. No Buddy Hield in title game. The luckiest of lucky shots for Villanova

Soccer- Chile and Portugal win in frustrating fashion during the big summer soccer tourneys

MLB- I really liked this Cubs team. I believed this was their year. Now, barring a miracle, Cleveland's gonna break my heart TWICE in sports this year

I just wish we could punt 2016 and move on.

2017 can't get here soon enough in so many ways

57 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

I almost included the 2007 Indians, but I decided to stick to the World Series. FWIW, I wasn't any happier about a second Boston title than you were. And yeah, there's no doubt in my mind that the '07 Indians would have made quick work of the Rockies. 

BB52Big.jpg

Archived