2016-17 NHL Season: Happy 100th Birthday, National Hockey League

Unocal

18 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

Auston Matthews makes history by scoring 4 goals in his first game and the Leafs still lose. That's ridiculous!!

That's probably the Leafs' coming season in a nutshell.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Flames1fan said:

he makes history but sportsnet showed 2 players got 5 goals on first game.  

In 1917...

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

1 minute ago, Flames1fan said:

still didn't beat the record 

He did for an NHL rookie...

And it's hard to compare NHL records from 1917, an era where goalies weren't able to lay down, or sit, or even kneel to stop the puck, to today where goalies can do almost anything to stop the puck... 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

1 hour ago, habsfan1 said:

Auston Matthews makes history by scoring 4 goals in his first game and the Leafs still lose. That's ridiculous!!

OT point out of it + they don't get to wake up falsely believing one player can carry all their weight.  

I'm pretty f'n okay with that.  

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

1 hour ago, DiePerske said:

I think it's mostly that I've watched neither prerecorded material or ones with the player having a translator(such as foreign player in French teams)

It's just weird hearing English where it doesn't belong. 

Post-game locker room interviews, which are pre-recoded, can be subbed. For quick words durings intermissions and the sort, it would be hell for a computer keyboard guy to type all the translations live without making errors. It's easier with the translators there in place, instead.

6 hours ago, LMU said:

Quick only lasts a period before being removed for the mystery "lower body injury."

Don't you just love the NHL's injury policy?

spacer.png

11 hours ago, LMU said:

Quick only lasts a period before being removed for the mystery "lower body injury."

This is why I drink.

Same thing happened to Lehner last year on opening night. Besides Eichel's first goal last season's home opener was a total buzzkill (Lehner injury, Kane's game tying goal being called back on first offsides challenge in Sabres history), but at least this year our three best forwards are already injured going into the game.

d5b.jpg

13 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

Really? I understand taking responsability, but I hope he also cuts himself some slack. This just got even more weird...

"Hey guys, I know I single-handedly carried the team to our loser point, but I'm sorry I couldn't go the extra mile and get us the win."

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

33 minutes ago, RedRenesis said:

Setting the O/U on the number of games Torts lasts until unemployment at 25.5

I don't think the Beej can afford to fire him with 3.7 years left on his contract.  I think he's good until next season, no matter what.

Archived