NBA Changes 2017-18

Conrad.

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

They're putting "NORTH" on a jersey?

Ok. That's it. Raptors brand is officially garbage. Used to be we could mock all of those other teams slapping nicknames or air port codes on jerseys. Not anymore. It's done. Good job.

G-d, just rebrand as the Huskies already.

Crap like this makes me wish the Vancouver Grizzlies were still around.

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, upperV03 said:

As a Blazers fan, I laugh every time I see any part of the Raptors' "We The North" marketing campaign since Portland is farther north than Toronto. To this day, this tweet is one my favorites that the Blazers' Twitter account has ever put out there:

And Minneapolis is farther north than Toronto as well, so technically the Raptors are the third northernmost team in the league. Now I completely understand that the meaning of the "We The North" slogan is much more than the latitude of the city of Toronto, but on face value that's what it's always seemed like it's in reference to.

Just imagine if and when Seattle and Vancouver ever get the NBA back....

10 hours ago, the_Raptors_king said:

I have confirmation that the Raptors 4th jersey this season will say "NORTH" on the front. On top of the word north will be a chevron pointing up or on the sides. I made 2 quick concepts. The colors are not confirmed. Only color confirmed is that it will be on a black template. This template belongs to Conrad Burry

Screen Shot 2017-09-07 at 9.58.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-07 at 9.56.23 PM.png

Clearly they are trying to appeal to Kanye's kid.  Move over, Drake.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 minutes ago, Digby said:

Still love that we the north typeface, though. Grasping for a silver lining over here. 

Meh, it's alright. Would like it better if it just wasn't an already-existing font: http://www.dafont.com/chinese-rocks.font

Could they not be bothered to create something customized for an organization that makes millions of dollars in revenue? :mellow:

8 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Crap like this makes me wish the Vancouver Grizzlies were still around.

If this is the level of stupidity we are going to see with some of these 4th jerseys, I'd rather see the sleeves back.

19 hours ago, DustDevil61 said:

And that's a bummer. It almost sounds like Jazz brass is taking the Gordon Hayward departure to Boston juuust a little too personal to remove a green (a dark green at that!) option from the rotation. ? ?

I have a theory that they went from purple to blue with the J-Note logo so as to not look too much like the Lakers (which is actually a fair point, as most pre-1997 Utah Jazz apparel is dang near identical to the Lakers, save for the logo, being primarily purple and yellow). Of course, this could be easily solved by emphasizing green as the secondary color over yellow with purple being the primary color, but Jazz management has a track record, though good overall, in getting juuust one or two things off in terms of team design.

That would be infinitely better than reality...

"[Haslem] said research has shown that the uniform color that young people buy most right now is a light blue, followed by navy." 

To the current scheme:

"The NBA used national focus groups — though none in Utah — to test the marketability of the colors and logo.

It didn't hurt that the Jazz's green throwback jerseys during the Hardwood Classics program last season were wildly popular."

I also wouldn't doubt that Larry Miller's relationship with BYU also influenced the holdover of navy.

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

42 minutes ago, Foxxtrot44 said:

To the current scheme:

"The NBA used national focus groups — though none in Utah — to test the marketability of the colors and logo.

It didn't hurt that the Jazz's green throwback jerseys during the Hardwood Classics program last season were wildly popular."

Sorta related, sorta not; but I really wish the throwback kelly green was used over the current green from the start (and that it was the primary road color, too). The lack of contrast between the navy and forest green now is one of the things that grind my gears the most about the current identity. The throwback green would've really popped and livened things up a bit.

Oh, and that rumored gold alternate sucks. 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

On 9/7/2017 at 10:16 AM, the admiral said:

Well hey, other than 66.66% of the letters being messed up and the fonts not matching, looks like a winner.

That’s exactly my point. It is, in fact, possible to start with a successful idea or color perspective and finish it by getting the details wrong.

Think of it like a terribly dated house with “good bones.”

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I personally dislike motto's on jerseys but i have to admit i might be ok with this "North" thing. I can see the Raptors are still going in the "representing the whole Canada" direction, when they should go back to being the Raptors, with their cool logos, fonts, colors and designs. I just hope they add the purple back to the mix, seeing how the Dino jerseys are still popular and i think the best selling jerseys of the bunch.

Btw i'm still waiting for the Spurs to confirm their new primary (or Global or whatever) logo.

pn5Vq6F.png

11 minutes ago, MkDon said:

I personally dislike motto's on jerseys but i have to admit i might be ok with this "North" thing. I can see the Raptors are still going in the "representing the whole Canada" direction, when they should go back to being the Raptors, with their cool logos, fonts, colors and designs. I just hope they add the purple back to the mix, seeing how the Dino jerseys are still popular and i think the best selling jerseys of the bunch.

Btw i'm still waiting for the Spurs to confirm their new primary (or Global or whatever) logo.

pn5Vq6F.png

Well...they use it on their website.  Maybe I'm confused as to what you're hoping they will confirm.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Well...they use it on their website.  Maybe I'm confused as to what you're hoping they will confirm.

Not to mention they've already released their new white and black uniforms with the new wordmark on them. Maybe the team hasn't acknowledged the new logo with a press release or anything, but they're already using it in a variety of ways.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

4 hours ago, Conrad. said:

Meh, it's alright. Would like it better if it just wasn't an already-existing font: http://www.dafont.com/chinese-rocks.font

Could they not be bothered to create something customized for an organization that makes millions of dollars in revenue? :mellow:

I like to think they were just being magnanimous towards we amateur concept designers.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

42 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

Not to mention they've already released their new white and black uniforms with the new wordmark on them. Maybe the team hasn't acknowledged the new logo with a press release or anything, but they're already using it in a variety of ways.

That's a very Spursy move, though. Official announcement will be a grouchy Pop saying "we changed the font a little bit. So what." to a reporter after a practice.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Archived