NHL 2017-18

Bmac

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Echo said:

Trotz looks like you just showed up at his door to pick his daughter up for the Prom.

You know, when those dads say "anything you do to her, you better be ready to do to me," you gotta think they want it a little.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I still don’t get why calling them “Knights” is not possible. So it shares the name as an OHL team, and? The OHL has a team called the Rangers and they used the exact same jerseys as the New York Rangers(can someone explain why they can do that?).

XM4KeeA.png

33 minutes ago, insert name said:

I still don’t get why calling them “Knights” is not possible. So it shares the name as an OHL team, and? The OHL has a team called the Rangers and they used the exact same jerseys as the New York Rangers(can someone explain why they can do that?).

It's because the Kitchener Rangers use to be a farm team of the New York Rangers back when the Original 6 sponsored junior teams.  That ended in 1967.  http://historicalhockey.blogspot.ca/2012/12/the-sponsorship-system-pre-expansion.html

7 hours ago, insert name said:

I still don’t get why calling them “Knights” is not possible. So it shares the name as an OHL team, and?

I believe it was something to do with the London Knights owning that trademark in Canada, complicating things for Vegas.

Though I wonder how much truth there is to that, or if it was merely an excuse to pursue the Army-esque Adjective Knights which got them in legal trouble anyway.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

10 hours ago, M4One said:

Everybody quickly buy all of the Golden Knights gear you can since they might become collector's items soon if Army gets their way.  If they do, I really hope they don't go with Sand Knights.

Has there been a development, or are you referring to the original action?

From that timeline, there's no reason to think they'll change before the end of the '19 season, unless they voluntarily decide to give it up.  Even if they lose and lose their trademark, that doesn't mean they have to change anything, just that they won't have the trademark (which has other ramifications).

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

From the mothership.

http://news.sportslogos.net/2018/01/10/army-officially-opposes-vegas-golden-knights-trademark/

Sand Knights just seems cheesy.  I'm trying to think of a name that could use the same logo, but not use the word Knights....like Avengers, Valor, Armor, Battalion, Guard...something that represents the Army without being blatantly obvious and using their nicknames.

11 hours ago, insert name said:

This is exactly how I feel. Las Vegas Knights should have been their name from the start. So maybe a lawsuit would be a blessing in disguise.

I don't see how any team can claim ownership of "Knights". It would be like the University of Miami suing the Carolina Hurricanes. 

1 hour ago, ColeJ said:

Imagine the US Army telling you not to do something, and then doing it anyway. Lol.

Taking this quote at face value, for such an Army guy it's funny he doesn't even realize that the Golden Knights is not West Point's parachute team, but is the US Army's elite parachute team (the Army equivalent of the Air Force's Thunderbirds or the Navy's Blue Angels). Imagine a former Navy guy, despite warnings from the Navy, starting a franchise called the Seattle Blue Angels using a blue and gold color scheme...

Screen-Shot-2018-01-10-at-20.05.34-.png

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

4 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

This is exactly how I feel. Las Vegas Knights should have been their name from the start. So maybe a lawsuit would be a blessing in disguise.

I don't see how any team can claim ownership of "Knights". It would be like the University of Miami suing the Carolina Hurricanes. 

The feeling I get is that the trademark law in Canada is a bit different. 

I agree that Knights is a pretty ubiquitous name especially in terms of sports teams, and the VGK don't really look anything like the London Knights, you just dont see crossover team names between the CHL and NHL too often unless like the Rangers, they have a historical precedent to be there. 

9 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Nope.  Just going off what was on the front page about Army officially opposing the trademark.  Honestly have no idea whether Army has a case or not since I don't really feel the logos are similar, though it is pretty clear Foley has based the name and look of the team off of West Point.

If Army wins, then I'm thinking it might not be as simple as changing the name to Sand Knights or something like that since they are also saying the logo is similar.  If Vegas is forced to not only change their name, but also their logo, you would think that all that Vegas Golden Knights gear would become collector's items and maybe have some sort of value down the road

Question to the Americans.  Is the Army's parachute team being called the Golden Knights a well known thing?  

Archived