Rare NBA Getty Images, Google & Internet Find

I don't know that a picture like this is particularly "rare", as you can find a few outdoor game pictures through google, but at the very least it's something that's only happened four times in NBA history.

The Suns hosted an outdoor game at Indian Wells Tennis Garden in Indian Wells, California in 2008, 2009, and 2011. This was my favorite picture, from the 2009 game vs. the Warriors:

IMG_5948.JPG

And here is a picture of the stadium:

IMG_5949.JPG

• Like 8

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

I really dug those old Warriors uniforms.  I know they were a total departure from their heritage, but the color scheme and design was loud and fun.  

• Like 4
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

On 3/25/2017 at 11:35 PM, kimball said:

And, here are some of the road jerseys ...

51439614.jpg52286401.jpg98485787.jpg482401414.jpg

At some point, they ditched the awkward side panels on the jersey from that last road uniform you posted:

s7DQMD4.jpg

I still think that's the best that the Bulls have ever looked on the road.

As for the script "Chicago," it looks like that had its own share of inconsistencies.

7hCwVbH.jpg

dTDts9x.jpg

Weirdly, the version that the NBA uses for its "Hardwood Classics" line doesn't seem to match any script that the Bulls ever actually wore:

WhLWAco.jpg

In a vacuum, it's a pretty nice brush script, but it's like they didn't even try for historical accuracy.

(On a side note, I remember seeing a "Bulls" version of this script in an Adidas catalog a few years ago - I'll see if I can find a picture of it.)

• Like 1

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

On 3/17/2017 at 7:45 PM, MadmanLA said:

general-view-of-the-boston-garden-during

Tip-off of the final NBA playoff game ever at Boston Garden in 1995, game four of the Celtics' first-round series against the eventual Eastern champ Magic.

Whatsup with the scoreboard not being centered with the court? Was that a normal thing at the Boston Garden? 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, JerseyJosh said:

Whatsup with the scoreboard not being centered with the court? Was that a normal thing at the Boston Garden? 

Seemed to be pretty normal throughout the life of that scoreboard, which was installed in 1975; the original scoreboard was situated in the same spot.

Remember too with many of it architectural flaws, the Garden had also a smaller-than-regulation NHL rink (191 ft. by 83 ft.), and it looked like with the hockey configuration, the scoreboard sat maybe a third of the way between center ice and the penalty box.

general-view-of-the-boston-garden-as-tak

• Like 2

4 hours ago, chrispw12 said:

I haven't been able to find any pictures but on YouTube I've seen clips of the Sonics playing a few games at the Kingdome in 1992-93 against the Bulls and Celtics 

Yeah, I've looked for those games as well. Including a few they played in the Tacoma Dome around that season.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

5 hours ago, chrispw12 said:

I haven't been able to find any pictures but on YouTube I've seen clips of the Sonics playing a few games at the Kingdome in 1992-93 against the Bulls and Celtics 

I do wonder why they played in the Kingdome? But, it looks like they played against the Bulls in late November in both 1991 and 1992 in the Kingdome. I'm assuming this might be to accommodate the bigger crowd with the Bulls' popularity?

• Like 1

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

10 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I don't know that a picture like this is particularly "rare", as you can find a few outdoor game pictures through google, but at the very least it's something that's only happened four times in NBA history.

The Suns hosted an outdoor game at Indian Wells Tennis Garden in Indian Wells, California in 2008, 2009, and 2011. This was my favorite picture, from the 2009 game vs. the Warriors:

IMG_5948.JPG

IMG_5949.JPG

Here are some more good pictures

nba-topper.jpg

nbaoutdoor_inline.jpg

• Like 3

AwvgSX4.png

23 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

IMG_5948.JPG

IMG_5949.JPG

Very nice.  The Nets should play some games at the Forest Hills Tennis Stadium.

• Like 2

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

3 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Very nice.  The Nets should play some games at the Forest Hills Tennis Stadium.

Arthur Ashe Stadium would be a fun place too since it has a retractable roof. 

• Like 3

kimball banner.png

2 hours ago, kimball said:

Arthur Ashe Stadium would be a fun place too since it has a retractable roof. 

I actually didn't know this till today, but the Liberty hosted a game at Arthur Ashe a few years back. Looks awesome.

IMG_5960.JPG.a94a4afee830950d625069fc36cb8494.JPG

I'm really digging more and more the idea of outdoor games. I know there's a lot of intricacies and things that need to go perfectly for that kind of thing to work, but it's something that'd be really cool annually in the right places (Tennis arenas would obviously be ideal). I wonder also if some football stadiums could be used with seating configurations similar to how modern Final Fours have done. Could be tricky, but maybe it'd work?

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

1 hour ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I actually didn't know this till today, but the Liberty hosted a game at Arthur Ashe a few years back. Looks awesome.

IMG_5960.JPG.a94a4afee830950d625069fc36cb8494.JPG

I'm really digging more and more the idea of outdoor games. I know there's a lot of intricacies and things that need to go perfectly for that kind of thing to work, but it's something that'd be really cool annually in the right places (Tennis arenas would obviously be ideal). I wonder also if some football stadiums could be used with seating configurations similar to how modern Final Fours have done. Could be tricky, but maybe it'd work?

I think it could work. But, it's all about timing and location. It'd have to be either preseason or around November and in places like Phoenix, Miami or low-precipitation locations. 

• Like 1

kimball banner.png

5 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

Another weird Preseason location, this time with the Sonics returning to the Tacoma Dome in 2000.

oct-2000-patrick-ewing-of-the-seattle-su

That looks like an old Sacramento Kings court. I'll have to do a little research, but does anyone have a full picture of the court?

kimball banner.png

Here's an amazing one I've had saved for a couple years, I don't know exactly where it's from but from the backaround it might be All-Star Week 2003 in Atlanta. They are wearing those infamous Nike fashion throwbacks.

iDcLwTu.jpg

EDIT: Found another good one.

former-atlanta-hawk-dominique-wilkins-ta

• Like 8

bSLCtu2.png

15 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

Here's an amazing one I've had saved for a couple years, I don't know exactly where it's from but from the backaround it might be All-Star Week 2003 in Atlanta. They are wearing those infamous Nike fashion throwbacks.

iDcLwTu.jpg

EDIT: Found another good one.

former-atlanta-hawk-dominique-wilkins-ta

I was obsessed with those Nike Rewind jerseys in junior high! I never knew they were worn for anything like this. Neat find!

1 hour ago, Gobbi said:

I was obsessed with those Nike Rewind jerseys in junior high! I never knew they were worn for anything like this. Neat find!

Same here.  I have a Shaq one that I made into one with my name and number (since it is a stitched Swingman).  I loved those jerseys.

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png