Las Vegas Raiders Brand Discussion

Ben in LA

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

The Raiders are an iconic brand in the NFL. They will leave their perfect identity alone. End of discussion. :P

Yup, I hope they leave it behind like the Browns had to. 

Now I'm not a fan of "reimagining" franchises, but I'd love nothing more thank see Mark Davis have to make a choice-

Move the team his family has had for decades to Vegas, but have to leave the brand and identity his father cultivated and created.

Or make an honest attempt to engage Oakland in stadium talks and abandon Las Vegas. 

The name and identity mean everything to him, take it from him like his family has taken the Raiders from Oakland's fans twice. 

Make him hurt the same way children are hurt in Oakland right now to lose heir team.

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

1 hour ago, tubby34 said:

Yup, I hope they leave it behind like the Browns had to. 

Now I'm not a fan of "reimagining" franchises, but I'd love nothing more thank see Mark Davis have to make a choice-

Move the team his family has had for decades to Vegas, but have to leave the brand and identity his father cultivated and created.

Or make an honest attempt to engage Oakland in stadium talks and abandon Las Vegas. 

The name and identity mean everything to him, take it from him like his family has taken the Raiders from Oakland's fans twice. 

Make him hurt the same way children are hurt in Oakland right now to lose heir team.

This absolutely will not happen. The appeal of the Raiders franchise is the RAIDERS brand. The silver and black, John Madden, Ken Stabler, Howie Long and the history of being renegades. All of that transcends the city where they play. Sorry to all the weeping kids in Oakland, but the name ain't staying.

Don't waste any of your time imagining this. Won't happen.

Whatever happened to the old "leave the identity in the city" rule the NFL foisted on the Browns move to Baltimore?  I know the Oilers rebranded after a few years because of it.  (Obviously the Rams were a different story with already having come form LA)

1 hour ago, BrianLion said:

Whatever happened to the old "leave the identity in the city" rule the NFL foisted on the Browns move to Baltimore?  I know the Oilers rebranded after a few years because of it.  (Obviously the Rams were a different story with already having come form LA)

There's never been any relocation name change rule. The Browns-Ravens thing was a deal made specially for the Cleveland Browns because the fans and city of Cleveland attempted to sue the NFL if the team moved. As a show of good faith, the NFL let them retain the name. The Oilers only changed because Oilers didn't really work in Tennessee. If I remember correctly, there was a movement to keep the identity overall but just change the team name to the Copperheads instead.

If there had been a rule, the Raiders, the Colts, and the Cardinals all would would have been required to change their names too. 

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

1 hour ago, BrianLion said:

There is no such rule.   The Oilers changed their name because they wanted a clean break (not to mention a desperate attempt to generate interest from their new, mostly apathetic home state).

There was no way the Raiders were going to be rebranding. First, the liklihood that Oakland will be getting a team (or even that the Bay Area will be getting a second team) is minimal. Combine that with the famous/infamous national image of the Raiders and this is the only thing that makes sense.  The NFL needs to have the Raiders.

I am waiting to start seeing an internet movement to have the LA Chargers become the Raiders and the LV Raiders become either the Chargers or a rebrand. Histories included, of course...but it's still the Davis family, so I doubt that would happen.

If Oakland ever does get a team, I suppose a Hornets/Bobcats/Pelicans/Hornets retroactive history swap could happen, provided the Raiders have totally new ownership by then.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

24 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

If Oakland ever does get a team, I suppose a Hornets/Bobcats/Pelicans/Hornets retroactive history swap could happen, provided the Raiders have totally new ownership by then.

No way.  It's far more likely that the Raiders serve out their lease in Las Vegas and move back to Oakland to take advantage of another ridiculous public handout.

1 minute ago, hawk36 said:

I think that should have been the NFLs Trump card regarding the move... Yes you can move to Las Vegas BUT you have to leave the name/brand in Oakland. That would have been a deal breaker and the Raiders would remain in Oakland where they belong. 

Why do we think the NFL wants that?

5 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Why do we think the NFL wants that?

Well they obviously didn't but they should have wanted it. They took quick money over long term stability and history. I feel this, along with the San Diego fiasco, may be the point in history where people will look back and point to if the NFL looses steam like MLB has done. 

31 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

I am waiting to start seeing an internet movement to have the LA Chargers become the Raiders and the LV Raiders become either the Chargers or a rebrand. Histories included, of course...but it's still the Davis family, so I doubt that would happen.

It really would make so much sense. But that's probably why it won't happen

2 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

Well they obviously didn't but they should have wanted it. They took quick money over long term stability. I feel this, along with the San Diego fiasco, may be the point in history where people will look back and point to if the NFL looses steam like MLB has done. 

Hopefully, another spring league pops up and actually shakes the NFL off its pedestal. :lol:

Just now, neo_prankster said:

Hopefully, another spring league pops up and actually shakes the NFL off its pedestal. :lol:

My guess is soccer will actually make the biggest inroads over the next 25 years. Not that they'd overtake the NFL by any stretch of the imagination but that the NFL will begin to stall and look much like MLB now. Still very popular but no where near the overwhelming majority that it once was. With soccer continuing to gain more of the shares. 

Serious question.

What is there about Oakland that makes it such a prize to have today as a market?  And the Raiders have been trying for a new stadium since the mid-2000s at least, so I'm not quite sure you can point to "bad faith negotiating."

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

42 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

Well they obviously didn't but they should have wanted it. They took quick money over long term stability and history. I feel this, along with the San Diego fiasco, may be the point in history where people will look back and point to if the NFL [loses] steam like MLB has done. 

While local fans in Oakland are justifiably angry, I think that what many people fail to realise is that the Raiders have many more fans outside Oakland than within Oakland.  This team has a national fanbase -- or, really, one that spans two countries, as the recent game in Mexico showed.

For the fans around the country who have rooted for the Raiders for their whole lives, the city where team plays its home games doesn't matter.  Of course, we could say that the gritty nature of Oakland was instrumental to the creation of the Raiders' image.  But, once that image became established and attracted fans nationwide, the team could have played in any city.

Furthermore, the Raiders' time in Los Angeles was pivotal -- they are probably still the most popular team in L.A.  And the use of their logos and colours by NWA cemented the team as part of L.A. culture and lore.  A measure of the Raiders' magnitude in that city is the fact that the L.A. Kings adopted their colours when they changed their uniforms upon Gretzky's arrival.  (A noteworthy effect of the Raiders' move to Las Vegas is that they will be only half as far as they currently are from their L.A. fans.)

Anyway, the point is that the Raiders transcend both Oakland and Los Angeles in a way that is unique amongst sports teams, even amongst the other big teams with continent-wide followings.  Consider that the Cowboys' identity derives its meaning from Dallas; likewise, the identities of the Celtics, Yankees, and Canadiens depend entirely on their hometowns.  But not so for the Raiders.  They alone do not need any particular home city in order to be the Raiders.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Archived