Las Vegas Raiders Brand Discussion

Ben in LA

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

I don't know about that. The Raiders brand has been largely unchanged even by minor tweaks in the last 50 years. Given they're already tweaking the fanbase by screwing over their Oakland contingent, again, it seems likely they'd want to minimize any further disruption by messing with the branding and such that is one of the few things that actually unifies their "Raider Nation" since it's clearly not geography or winning that unifies them.

Again, this is an overstatement of the effect. Moving to Vegas will change branding strategies way more than a subtle logo cleanup, which wouldn't alter branding strategies at all (less a more profitable presence in the throwback market). There is little substance to theories that tweaking the logo will spark fannibalism (you know, fan cannibalism)

The only objectively valid argument is tradition, which, again, is packing up and moving to Gimmick City.

I'm still struggling with the Miami Dolphins as "luxury brand" by way of turning their logo into an abstract smudge. I don't deny that the stadium looks nice now and people give you handjobs in the skyboxes or whatever, but I'm not seeing how the logo has anything to do with that. If any Miami-area team has repositioned itself as a luxury brand, I would say it's the Panthers, with darker and muted colors, a logo that looks like a hood ornament on a sports car, and an arena far from The Ethnics.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

5 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

well, if you find your way to Miami next season, i'll see if i can hook you up with a stadium tour. then you can decide for yourself :)

i'll just address this point because i think i can round everything back to this. if this were to happen to the Packers, they should not change their identity but they should absolutely change their marketing/branding strategy. when you can't rely on wins to support the franchise, there just HAS to be some other thing. value/sales/desire will all go down; so how to you counter it?

never would i say throw out all the history. but what they give to fans has to be of value and for them specifically, that's probably a gameday experience in a historical outdoor stadium. and they'll use that "Titletown" brand to separate them from everyone else. 

for Miami, it's a different situation and a different approach. the team wore throwback unis twice this year, they haven't done away with everything. but there is a focus on being entertaining to fans, and valuable to sponsorships that will survive any downturn in team performance. this approach i would not recommend for the Packers and not needed for the Raiders, but i think what is being built upon in Miami is right for Miami. the luxury sports brand is how they're building that "thing" thats greater than wins. Green Bay and the Raiders already have it

Brandon,

I know this was directed at Goth, and it's a long shot, but if I make it that way, I'd love to take you up on it as well! As a lifelong dolphins fan and uniform/logo/design nut, it'd be a bucket-list-worthy experience!

What he's describing about the Dolphins is very similar to the direction the Eagles went to in early '00s when the new stadium opened.  They stopped being a "team" of "players", and became a "brand".

It's kinda like how WWE isn't a "wrestling" company with "athletes", it's a "sports entertainment" company with "superstars".  The Eagles have made their brand among the most consistent in all of sports both on field and how their marks are used off field.  The only dilution would be the black uniforms, and even that is still consistent with their graphical identity.

Their whole thing (similar to what BMA said) is about the experience, and consistency from the top down.  I remember all the ridiculous trainings I went through when I was an usher in the stadium - everything from "they're not fans, they are guests" to the way to position the little book when speaking to someone, even if you don't even need to use it.  

This went as far as to release DVDs about what it means to be an Eagles fan, which were pretty much just brainwashing videos to get you acclimated to their whole brand speak.

The point is that in this day and age where prices are what they are, wins and losses aren't enough (unless you're the Patriots).  When the team sucks, it will get hard to draw people, and I don't blame them one bit.  There needs to be something bigger now to keep people engaged.  Make people feel like they're a part of something bigger than the game.

Not saying I agree with all that, but that's the trend now.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

55 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

What he's describing about the Dolphins is very similar to the direction the Eagles went to in early '00s when the new stadium opened.  They stopped being a "team" of "players", and became a "brand".

It's kinda like how WWE isn't a "wrestling" company with "athletes", it's a "sports entertainment" company with "superstars".  The Eagles have made their brand among the most consistent in all of sports both on field and how their marks are used off field.  The only dilution would be the black uniforms, and even that is still consistent with their graphical identity.

Their whole thing (similar to what BMA said) is about the experience, and consistency from the top down.  I remember all the ridiculous trainings I went through when I was an usher in the stadium - everything from "they're not fans, they are guests" to the way to position the little book when speaking to someone, even if you don't even need to use it.  

This went as far as to release DVDs about what it means to be an Eagles fan, which were pretty much just brainwashing videos to get you acclimated to their whole brand speak.

The point is that in this day and age where prices are what they are, wins and losses aren't enough (unless you're the Patriots).  When the team sucks, it will get hard to draw people, and I don't blame them one bit.  There needs to be something bigger now to keep people engaged.  Make people feel like they're a part of something bigger than the game.

Not saying I agree with all that, but that's the trend now.

it's spot on, though :)

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

The Raiders are a famous brand with fans worldwide, and that's what Vegas is getting if they keep the name. The Las Vegas Nighthawks or whatever are nothing but a new team in a small and transient market.

Mark Davis and the NFL know this.

49 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

Las Vegas Raiders or Vegas Raiders, it just sounds so wrong. They need to repackage, even though I would miss the Oakland Raiders brand.

Don't worry -- some people will continue to call them that.

A cousin of mine used to live in L.A.  I remember that, in 1984 or 1985, my mother was reading aloud a letter that she had received from this cousin.  In the letter, my cousin wrote that she had "attended a couple of Oakland Raiders games".  This is from someone who was living in Los Angeles.

So I have no doubt that the Las Vegas Raiders will have their share of fans who are that clueless, especially given that a good portion of their crowd will be made up of goofball tourists from who knows where.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

3 hours ago, wences said:

To be clear: why a rebrand? If the Raiders get the deal, they won't arrive Las Vegas before 2019 (because they will haven't NFL Stadium in Nevada before).

If the NFL makes them play TWO lame duck seasons in Oakland before moving they're insane.  If they can stick the Chargers in a 30K seat soccer stadium, they can let the Raiders play at Sam Boyd Stadium (40K expanded) for the time being. 

19 minutes ago, BrianLion said:

If the NFL makes them play TWO lame duck seasons in Oakland before moving they're insane.  If they can stick the Chargers in a 30K seat soccer stadium, they can let the Raiders play at Sam Boyd Stadium (40K expanded) for the time being. 

Could it be a heat issue?  I am not sure how long it stays super-hot, but would the LV Raiders have to spend the first couple of seasons playing their first few games on the road?  I went to a Labor Day weekend UNLV game.  It started at 8:00 (too late for the NFL's TV schedule), which was after sundown.  And it was still miserably hot.  

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

1 hour ago, OnWis97 said:

Could it be a heat issue?  I am not sure how long it stays super-hot, but would the LV Raiders have to spend the first couple of seasons playing their first few games on the road?  I went to a Labor Day weekend UNLV game.  It started at 8:00 (too late for the NFL's TV schedule), which was after sundown.  And it was still miserably hot.  

It could be. I mean the average high in the day time in September would be in the mid-90's. But then again during the evenings it's cooler so that's easy to schedule around with Thursday, Monday and Sunday night games and away games. And it does cool off quickly in October when the average high is down to 80 degrees. I mean if UNLV can do it on Saturday I don't see why the Raiders can't do it on Sunday.

Another thing to consider regarding lame duck years in OAK is the A's. They seem to want to build on the Coliseum site, and the Raiders parking there for two years could effectively :censored: block the beginning of their project. I wonder if they'd provide a necessary incentive to get Davis and the Raiders out of town sooner.

Archived