Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

Toronto206

3 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

Just fold the franchise at this point.

Take away the franchise, give the expansion slot to Quebecor. Then, we won't have to play the identity game, because we damn well know what we'll get! 

th?id=OIP.LOBTd98gbIXV0OX88H1mGAHaG2%26p

I don't think this is a Jets situation. The Igloo has to come back.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Take away the franchise, give the expansion slot to Quebecor. Then, we won't have to play the identity game, because we damn well know what we'll get! 

I don't think this is a Jets situation. The Igloo has to come back.

We all know the NHL would rather keep a financially struggling team in South Florida then admit that the Panthers would be better off in Québec. 😛

15 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

Just fold the franchise at this point.

If that gives Seattle an empty state-of-the-art arena open and ready for an NBA tenant? By all means, absolutely.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I mean, I was just making a joke. This whole wait or pushback or whatever you want to call this eventual release of their identity hasn't bothered me.

And this thread has turned dumb trying to read the (Starbucks) tea leaves on why the team doesn't have a name yet.

IbjBaeE.png

4 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Instead they're doing a great job of being mostly silent and showing no presence in the city.

Even the Dragons sold sweatshirts downtown; why can't I buy an NHL Seattle hat anywhere?

You really want a hat that just says "NHL Seattle"?

32 minutes ago, Commish2 said:

Sockeyes is copyrighted and NHL is avoiding those issues. 

I severely doubt they'd be against dealing with a small-name author to get the name they want. Vegas had the excuse of both an OHL team and the literal Army to force them to add a prefix to the name "Knights". Seattle Sockeyes would have...a little-known romance novelist who has already expressed she'd be willing to play ball with the NHL team on the name.

That...doesn't seem like a massive obstacle to me, for a company with as much money as the NHL has.

18 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

You really want a hat that just says "NHL Seattle"?

I don't, but if I were a sports organization looking to break through in a crowded marketplace and build excitement, I would put in some effort.

The NHL Seattle logo is pretty nice, TBH:

NHL-Seattle-logo-e1561477304912.jpg

Sports fans like buying stuff. They're leaving money on the table not selling that logo.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

17 minutes ago, IceCap said:

I really like that shade of red. That wordmark too. I hope both are included in the final package. The red just might be, but I'm not too hopeful on the wordmark being carried over.

I think the red probably will, given they've kept using it through various site updates. Wouldn't be surprised if they used the red/seafoam/black scheme from the RMNB leak but with a Sockeyes identity, feels like it'd fit that a hell of a lot better then it would "Kraken".

3 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

I'm a Colorado guy, but this was so regrettable. Americans just don't understand the shared sense of national identity and pride Canadians have. I live in Seattle, and I see it all the time. The Mariners' best attendance of all visiting teams? Not the Yankees. Not the Red Sox. It's the Toronto Blue Jay's, every year and by a wide margin. Their fans come down, they're all over downtown dressed in Blue Jay's gear (this year plenty of Raptors stuff mixed in too). 3,000 miles away, but still. Always there. I admire and envy that.

But, as Patrick Roy and the Avalanche raced to the Stanley Cup their first year in Denver, it wouldda been impossible not to appreciate the cruel humor of the following conspicuous sign at an Avs' game: "HEY QUEBEC! YOU CAN HAVE THE NUGGETS!"

wS7MJ6T.png

I am sure the author will be fine with a percentage and the free advertising.  I get it, you’re going to argue about Kraken or Krakens there is always 30% of people that will disagree.  It is all opinions anyways.  I am telling you in my belief it will be Kraken(s).  You can dig up polls when this started that say “Metropolitans” was the name.   

I guess we will all see.  

1 hour ago, Maroon&Gold said:

The author that has the trademark says she's fine with the team using the name 

"Try not to have a good time ... This is supposed to be educational."

- Charles Schulz

viks.jpg

11 minutes ago, Commish2 said:

I am sure the author will be fine with a percentage and the free advertising.  I get it, you’re going to argue about Kraken or Krakens there is always 30% of people that will disagree.  It is all opinions anyways.  I am telling you in my belief it will be Kraken(s).  You can dig up polls when this started that say “Metropolitans” was the name.   

I guess we will all see.  

I'd prefer 'Metros' to 'Kraken' or 'Sockeyes.'

wS7MJ6T.png

49 minutes ago, IceCap said:

I really like that shade of red. That wordmark too. I hope both are included in the final package. The red just might be, but I'm not too hopeful on the wordmark being carried over.

Combine it with green and yellow and we have a winner.  Salmon version of the late 90s Sonics.  (Which was a cool set but wrong for the Sonics.  But could be right for the NHL team!  Sonics Metropolitans color mashup.)

10 minutes ago, chakfu said:

Combine it with green and yellow and we have a winner.  Salmon version of the late 90s Sonics.  (Which was a cool set but wrong for the Sonics.  But could be right for the NHL team!  Sonics Metropolitans color mashup.)

NHL Seattle seems to be leaning intro the Metropolitans stuff even if they won't or can't use the name. So the website's colours of salmon red, seafoam green, and black seem fitting almost. Like a modernized update of the Metros' red, green, and white colour scheme.

I have no idea if they're going to carry that over to the final design, but the connection between the NHL Seattle site and the Metros' old colours seemed obvious to me.

9 minutes ago, IceCap said:

NHL Seattle seems to be leaning intro the Metropolitans stuff even if they won't or can't use the name. So the website's colours of salmon red, seafoam green, and black seem fitting almost. Like a modernized update of the Metros' red, green, and white colour scheme.

I have no idea if they're going to carry that over to the final design, but the connection between the NHL Seattle site and the Metros' old colours seemed obvious to me.

To be fair, that's what most people associate with Seattle and the NHL. Nobody except people who are very into hockey know anything about the Thunderbirds or the Totems, so emphasizing that connection to build a brand before the brand is a smart idea.

It's also a fair assumption that it's a purposefully generic color scheme with no meaning and all us sports logo nerds are reading too far into it.

6 hours ago, Commish2 said:

Really because every poll that is given people dismiss the result, the result shows that Kraken wins the poll either by large numbers or small.  So glean from it what you will.

Maybe that's because it is the most popular choice. Maybe because it is the most popular choice among people who respond to polls. Maybe it's the most popular among a guerrilla group of fans of other teams trying to nudge toward a name they want to poke fun at.

It's where I sit.

2 hours ago, BroncoBuff said:

I'm a Colorado guy, but this was so regrettable. Americans just don't understand the shared sense of national identity and pride Canadians have. I live in Seattle, and I see it all the time. The Mariners' best attendance of all visiting teams? Not the Yankees. Not the Red Sox. It's the Toronto Blue Jay's, every year and by a wide margin. Their fans come down, they're all over downtown dressed in Blue Jay's gear (this year plenty of Raptors stuff mixed in too). 3,000 miles away, but still. Always there. I admire and envy that.

But, as Patrick Roy and the Avalanche raced to the Stanley Cup their first year in Denver, it wouldda been impossible not to appreciate the cruel humor of the following conspicuous sign at an Avs' game: "HEY QUEBEC! YOU CAN HAVE THE NUGGETS!"

I think that's got more to do with there only being 1 Canadian team to cheer for more than anything else.  Same thing with the Raptors during their championship run.  You are not going to get that same national support in the NHL.  The Leafs might have fans coast to coast, but it's not like the whole of Canada is going to be behind them.

Geography also plays a part since it's not like a lot of Yankees/Red Sox fans are going to make a cross country road trip.  Vancouver to Seattle is only a couple of hours.

Archived