Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

Toronto206

Just call them the Mighty Sockeyes of Seattle and they would be the most feared team in the league.  Or, maybe called them the Seattle Gods of Multi-Faiths and everyone would literally have to bow down to them. 

Or, we just come up with a solid name, logo, and colours and not worry about silly stuff like that.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Ice_Cap said:

Maybe not the best idea considering the Canucks have a Native-style logo of a sea creature.

Sure, but still doesn't mean they should get to own the style. Seattle hockey has embraced that style for years with the Totems and T-birds. I say do what best fits the region, regardless of what others are doing.

1 hour ago, hawk36 said:

Sure, but still doesn't mean they should get to own the style. Seattle hockey has embraced that style for years with the Totems and T-birds. I say do what best fits the region, regardless of what others are doing.

It seems like a really bad idea, from a branding perspective, to copy the aesthetics of your more established geographical rival. 

5 hours ago, mafiaman said:

Who is in charge of “endorsing” the logo?

Probably whatever tribe or tribes originated the art style you're going with.

I would still say it's a mistake though. The Seattle Whatevers are already setting themselves up as rivals to the Canucks. The Canucks, meanwhile, have had a Pacific Northwest Native art-inspired logo of a sea creature since 1998. It makes no sense for Seattle to try and design a similar logo.

29 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

So even though the native theme has been used in Seattle hockey for around 75 years, they are suppose to ignore it?

Vancouver's had that identity locked down for an entire generation. I don't know what else to tell you 🤷‍♂️

6 hours ago, hawk36 said:

So even though the native theme has been used in Seattle hockey for around 75 years, they are suppose to ignore it? Don’t be different just to be different. Be good, whatever that ends up being. 

I’m sure they aren’t being different just to be different. And what they come up with will be subjectively good. The point is don’t take design elements that are unique to your closest geographical rival. 

23 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

It seems like a really bad idea, from a branding perspective, to copy the aesthetics of your more established geographical rival. 

Vegas went with a medieval themed name and a shield logo even though they play in the same division as the Kings, and it doesn't seem to be an issue. 

On 12/28/2019 at 12:38 PM, Ice_Cap said:

Maybe not the best idea considering the Canucks have a Native-style logo of a sea creature.

Sorry but I disagree. If indeed NHLSeattle consulted with local Natives on a Native-styled crest, then all the power to them. It would be a fitting tribute to the old WHL Totems while having a crest that reflects the team name. As for the Canucks, their orca logo is a phony and pretentious version of Native art. The Canucks have far better options to choose from. 

Getting back on the topic of NHLSeattle, I was always hoping for the "Totems" name or at least, "Emeralds" because the NHL needs at another green team besides Dallas and Minnesota. However, if "Sockeyes" is chosen with branding elements chosen as tributes to Seattle's hockey history, I'm fully on board. It'll be a strong and first-class franchise.

29 minutes ago, VancouverFan69 said:

Sorry but I disagree. If indeed NHLSeattle consulted with local Natives on a Native-styled crest, then all the power to them. It would be a fitting tribute to the old WHL Totems while having a crest that reflects the team name. As for the Canucks, their orca logo is a phony and pretentious version of Native art. The Canucks have far better options to choose from. 

Getting back on the topic of NHLSeattle, I was always hoping for the "Totems" name or at least, "Emeralds" because the NHL needs at another green team besides Dallas and Minnesota. However, if "Sockeyes" is chosen with branding elements chosen as tributes to Seattle's hockey history, I'm fully on board. It'll be a strong and first-class franchise.

We. Are. Not. Having. A. Canucks. Logo. Discussion.

I merely stated a fact, that the Canucks have a native-inspired logo. This was not an invitation to restart this debate.

26 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

We. Are. Not. Having. A. Canucks. Logo. Discussion.

I merely stated a fact, that the Canucks have a native-inspired logo. This was not an invitation to restart this debate.

Never meant to start one. I was only responding to the topic of Native art comparison between NHLSeattle and the Canucks which you stated. And as you could see, I changed the subject to the main discussion at hand regarding what NHLSeattle will do.

Sorry for any misunderstanding.🙂

Archived