Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

Toronto206

The 'final cut' of 5 is just an assumption from what I can tell, right?

Still though,

I'm good with either Sockeyes or Sea Lions. Evergreens has really grown on me as well in the past year or so.

Emeralds sounds good, but I get a real WNBA vibe from it. 

Rainiers just doesn't roll off the tongue well enough to be a team name, IMO.

Cougars is literally one of the most generic names in sports, along with Wildcats, Tigers and Bulldogs. Bad choice.

sig.png

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

The 'final cut' of 5 is just an assumption from what I can tell, right?

Still though,

I'm good with either Sockeyes or Sea Lions. Evergreens has really grown on me as well in the past year or so.

Emeralds sounds good, but I get a real WNBA vibe from it. 

Rainiers just doesn't roll off the tongue well enough to be a team name, IMO.

Cougars is literally one of the most generic names in sports, along with Wildcats, Tigers and Bulldogs. Bad choice.

I'd call it more of an "educated guess," but a guess all the same.

You say Rainiers is too clumsy to be a team name but it already was (and is still, but in Tacoma now)

6 hours ago, KittSmith_95 said:

4. Rainiers - I don't get the appeal. The name would be a :censored: to say, feels like it doesn't make sense, and I just can't think of any creative logos coming out of it. 

The original Seattle Rainiers' (and current Tacoma Rainiers') logo is the Rainier beer logo. Of course, Mount Rainier also makes a great logo IMO.

Tacoma-Rainiers-baseball-logo.gif

1 hour ago, TaylorMade said:

I'd call it more of an "educated guess," but a guess all the same.

You say Rainiers is too clumsy to be a team name but it already was (and is still, but in Tacoma now)

The original Seattle Rainiers' (and current Tacoma Rainiers') logo is the Rainier beer logo. Of course, Mount Rainier also makes a great logo IMO.

Tacoma-Rainiers-baseball-logo.gif

You see, I didn't know Rainiers referred to a mountain.... I thought the name was a play on the weather of Seattle (being rainy/stormy), thus me thinking the word was clumsy. 

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

4 hours ago, the admiral said:

Still keeping hope alive for the 'Greens but it does feel like they're really gonna roll with Sockeyes and go out there being a food fish.

I'm holding out hope that it can be good, if only because I have a fondness for the old Victoria Salmon Kings identity. 

1 hour ago, IceCap said:

I'm holding out hope that it can be good, if only because I have a fondness for the old Victoria Salmon Kings identity. 

Honestly, I expect them to put an emphasis on the historical aspect when it comes to the designs over trying to be exceptionally "unique-looking"; they've really been pushing the history of hockey in the city in marketing since getting a franchise, so any jersey design they'll go for would likely not be too wild.

I would not at all be shocked if, for instance, they took on a variant of the Metropolitans' colors (perhaps something like what the website currently uses) and had a similar logo to those old Cup-winning Mets somewhere in their set.

23 hours ago, king_mahalo said:

I'm not the biggest fan of the name "Seattle Rainiers" or taking the logo of the beer company as Tacoma's AAA team did, but I could REALLY get behind this uniform design. 

spacer.png

Um, that’s glorious. Setting a new standard for the term “Beer League.”

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

On 1/23/2020 at 1:19 AM, the admiral said:

Still keeping hope alive for the 'Greens but it does feel like they're really gonna roll with Sockeyes and go out there being a food fish.

Honestly didnt care for Evergreens at first, but seeing some of the concepts and stuff on the boards, there's serious potential there.     

sig.png

The Evergreens would be pretty cool.  I really like that concept.  Sockeyes I feel like is the most unique of the ideas, but I get why people wouldn't be excited about it.

This Sea Lions concept really caught my eye.

45365861484_d0e6216b22_h.jpg

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I was really hoping to hear the name at the All Star Break but it doesn't seem like that will happen now.

I'm not in love with anything at this point, I guess I'm just hoping the logo/uniforms look great and then the team name will feel right.

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

1 hour ago, lilgump said:

I was really hoping to hear the name at the All Star Break but it doesn't seem like that will happen now.

I'm not in love with anything at this point, I guess I'm just hoping the logo/uniforms look great and then the team name will feel right.

The Seattle Times' NHL beat writer last week wrote that March remains the most likely timeline, "but possibly late February."

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/hockey/nhl-seattle-mailbag-when-will-we-get-a-team-name-what-to-expect-in-the-expansion-draft/

Archived