Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

Toronto206

1 hour ago, Mingjai said:
2 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Hahahahahahahahaha.

Seriously - nothing in MLS is among the most heated of anything in American Sports. In no particular order, there would be rivalries from NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, NCAA Football, NCAA Basketball before you would get to MLS or any league not listed above.

Just because it's new or soccer doesn't mean it's not heated...

That is true!  There has been more violence lately at NYCFC - Red Bull games than at Yankee-Met games. (To be clear: this is not good, and it is nothing to brag about. It is cited here only to underscore the point that some MLS rivalries are very heated indeed.)

The Sounders-Timbers rivalry is more intense than that between NYCFC and the Red Bulls; however, it is much better behaved.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

That is true!  There has been more violence lately at NYCFC - Red Bull games than at Yankee-Met games. (To be clear: this is not good, and it is nothing to brag about. It is cited here only to underscore the point that some MLS rivalries are very heated indeed.)

The Sounders-Timbers rivalry is more intense than that between NYCFC and the Red Bulls; however, it is much better behaved.

In a similar vein to Red Bulls - NYCFC, the Galaxy - LAFC rivalry is only six meetings old and already it is very heated.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

3 hours ago, Mingjai said:

In a similar vein to Red Bulls - NYCFC, the Galaxy - LAFC rivalry is only six meetings old and already it is very heated.

Duke North Carolina 

Ohio St Michigan 

Boston Los Angeles

Montreal Toronto

Boston New York

Chicago Green Bay

I'm not even trying hard and the more heated rivalries are there. Note that I didn't use leagues or nicknames and I bet most people know what matchups I mean.

It's where I sit.

On 1/6/2020 at 6:19 PM, hawk36 said:

Arguably one of the most heated rivalries in American sports is the Sounders/Timbers.

Oh, it's arguable, all right.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Yes, rivalries with teams that don't exist yet tend to rank pretty low. I can see it heating up, though it'll be hard to pass Calgary and Edmonton on Vancouver's :censored:list.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 1/6/2020 at 7:27 PM, hawk36 said:

Just saying you shouldn't eliminate a style that's been synonymous with hockey in the region just because a rival uses a similar style.

What if said rival is also in the same region? The idea of a Pacific Northwest Native-styled hockey team is spoken for in the NHL. That's my point. Seattle was late to the party, Vancouver swooped in and made it their own. Sorry 🤷‍♂️

On 1/9/2020 at 3:03 PM, Ice_Cap said:

What if said rival is also in the same region? The idea of a Pacific Northwest Native-styled hockey team is spoken for in the NHL. That's my point. Seattle was late to the party, Vancouver swooped in and made it their own. Sorry 🤷‍♂️

I wouldn't go that far.  The Canuck primary is essentially the notch at the top of the Jets' logo in that it's an ad for the (now renamed) ownership group. Plus, it's dated and has been recolored (unsuccessfully) to the point that it needs to be taken behind the barn already.  Comparing it to other examples of Native-style art shows that calling the style Native is very, VERY generous.  If Seattle fully owns it there shouldn't be an issue.

5mTIXI3.jpg

M8mC0jd.jpg

VmWIn6B.png

The Canucks' logo is inspired by Native art, but it is not designed like it. The intent is there, but it's very much a sports logo first, Native-influenced second. Which, to be fair, I think works for the Canucks; they've owned the look so long I think it's perfectly fine for it to be their thing. 

It also doesn't hurt that the Orca is arguably where the team's had the most success; iconic Canucks like the Sedin twins and the West Coast Express line wore it, as do the current up-and-coming playoff contenders. They've won 7 division titles with the Orca, compared to 3 without it, and both President's Trophy wins have been under it. They were one win away from the Cup in 2011 with the orca, too, just like the Skate and '94.

The only thing the Skate has more of then the Orca is conference titles, which...well, when you're stuck in the West at the same time as powerhouses like Detroit and Colorado in the late 90's in addition to perennial playoff contenders like the Blues, conference championship is a hard thing to attain. 😛

Fwiw, until I moved to the region, I didn't know the Canucks or Seahawks logos were inspired by native tradition. If Seattle NHL were more overt about it, it would be more overt.

However, knowing the local climate, I think there's a zero percent chance they do an overt Native logo. The politics are just too complex here.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

2 hours ago, DG_Now said:

Fwiw, until I moved to the region, I didn't know the Canucks or Seahawks logos were inspired by native tradition. If Seattle NHL were more overt about it, it would be more overt.

However, knowing the local climate, I think there's a zero percent chance they do an overt Native logo. The politics are just too complex here.

I would disagree in that if they did it right, in conjunction with the Duwamish (for example), it would show how progressive they are. That's something Seattle would definitely embrace and champion. They could hold it over the heads of all other teams that don't have the direct connection and approval. 

11 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

I would disagree in that if they did it right, in conjunction with the Duwamish (for example), it would show how progressive they are. That's something Seattle would definitely embrace and champion. They could hold it over the heads of all other teams that don't have the direct connection and approval. 

But what about the Suquamish? Or Nisqually? Or Snoqualmie? I don't disagree that NHL could do a good job with the Duwamish tribe. But I would think getting all local tribes (and what is "local"?) would be very difficult.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

15 hours ago, DG_Now said:

But what about the Suquamish? Or Nisqually? Or Snoqualmie? I don't disagree that NHL could do a good job with the Duwamish tribe. But I would think getting all local tribes (and what is "local"?) would be very difficult.

I just think IF they want to go the native themed route, they must have an agreement with at least one of the tribes in the region. I only said Duwamish since Chief Seattle was their chief. I guess he was also the Suquamish chief, so that would work. Any tribe would be great but I think one associated with Chief Seattle would be the best case scenario. Again, if they decide to go that route. 

14 minutes ago, charger77 said:

We are getting the team name this weekend, right? Are we getting any logos/uniforms?

According to this article, we may know the name by next month but March is pretty likely...

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/hockey/

nhl-seattle-mailbag-when-will-we-get-a-team-name-what-to-expect-in-the-expansion-draft/

Archived