kolob

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ScubaSteve said:

I took it as a pretty big "We couldn't give less of a f*** about Nike's new uniform rules." messaging vibe from it

That, or a "Oh crap, this is due tomorrow??"

1 hour ago, kimball said:

I'm a little miffed that we didn't even get some B.S. Nike explanation about them. I see absolutely NO point to them.

Exactly! It goes beyond laziness and seems like actively trying to look that pointless. Especially with such a wealth of different looks in the Knicks' history to serve as fauxback inspiration.

50 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

Oh come on... The Iverson era Sixers jerseys weren't even close to the Steelers colors... And you forgot all about the red?

(apologies for the thread jack, but that quote just bothered me)

46 minutes ago, fnz said:

They also had a blue alternate (which didn't really fit the scheme at the time, but incorporated the original colors)

This jumped out to me as well. Seems totally personal than anything else. They look no more Steelers-y than the Flyers do every night, and while they probably never should have happened to begin with, they're now inextricably linked with the beloved Iverson era. The Rocky thing is cute, whatever, but a jersey in those colors but the current style seems like the sort of off-the-wall idea that alternates in general/Nike's system in particular ought to make good use of. Keep it very clearly alternate so it doesn't muddle the current, well resurrected brand, but also throw a bone to people who want it and sell tons of merch. Whatever.

11 minutes ago, BJ Sands said:

This article illustrates that Nike has some good ideas but how the teams must rein them in. One Rocky-themed uniform is fine. Three would’ve been way too much, and it’s good the Sixers held them back. 

Agree totally; just want to point out that the Pacers' merciless humping of the Hoosiers idea started under Adidas.

1 hour ago, mjd77 said:

I don't know what anyone sees in that Suns city jersey.  It just looks like a completely lazy effort to me.

It's not great by any means, it's just that seeing that black and vibrant orange trim brings me back to the 90s uniforms -- simply using those colors doesn't save it from being lackluster, but still an upgrade over their awful new designs from last year.

18 minutes ago, BJ Sands said:

This article illustrates that Nike has some good ideas but how the teams must rein them in. One Rocky-themed uniform is fine. Three would’ve been way too much, and it’s good the Sixers held them back. 

This was my biggest take away as well. There is so much banter about how outlandish and non-traditional Nike is with their designs, but you're seeing those designs because the teams are allowing it. They have a BIG say in how they look. 

You can really tell which teams are heavily involved in the process compared to those that are not -- and teams who are willing to take risks compared to those that aren't. Bottom line -- teams are in charge.

Now when it comes to when teams wear what jerseys, that's a whole different story.

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

With two other purple teams in the division, the Suns should relegate purple to a tertiary color (if not remove it altogether) and prominently feature orange and black. There isn’t another team in the league with those colors, and it works well for the Orioles, Giants, Bengals and Flyers, as well as Oklahoma State, Oregon State and Princeton.

13 minutes ago, Digby said:

It's not great by any means, it's just that seeing that black and vibrant orange trim brings me back to the 90s uniforms -- simply using those colors doesn't save it from being lackluster, but still an upgrade over their awful new designs from last year.

What if I told you it wasn't black, but dark purple trim? ?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

4 minutes ago, AndrewMLind said:

With two other purple teams in the division, the Suns should relegate purple to a tertiary color (if not remove it altogether) and prominently feature orange and black. There isn’t another team in the league with those colors, and it works well for the Orioles, Giants, Bengals and Flyers, as well as Oklahoma State, Oregon State and Princeton.

They kinda tried that a couple years ago and it sucked. Plus the Suns, Lakers, and Kings have worn purple in the same division for the last 25 years, and no one's really cared.

The Suns need purple. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

13 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

What if I told you it wasn't black, but dark purple trim? ?

Ha, the vibe remains nonetheless! Actually gradients would be right on the 90s throwback anyway. Look, I just think the main Suns set is indefensibly awful.

3 hours ago, kimball said:

I do like the double purple teamed up with the orange as well. I just wish they never switched to their current template. The modernized streaking sun is MUCH better and with double purple instead of black I think that would be perfection.

bledsoe_crop_exact.jpg

I loved the purple jerseys. My only gripe was the use of black on the collar and the weird Sun on the shorts. I wish they kept the Purple. The Burnt orange as the main accent on the Whites weren't good. Definitely needed to replace the black for purple. Such a shame. A few tweaks and these would be one of the best jersey sets in the league, but they had to go and change it. Now the Suns are not only a mess as a franchise, but also look like a mess in their overall identity.

1 hour ago, AndrewMLind said:

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

They kinda tried that a couple years ago and it sucked. Plus the Suns, Lakers, and Kings have worn purple in the same division for the last 25 years, and no one's really cared.

The Suns need purple. 

Yes, the Suns need purple.

And, the Suns did try that back in 2012-13 when they were late in getting their new logo (current) approved. The Suns wanted to go sans purple, but it didn't go over well with the fans. I believe this was part of the reason for the delay in the full roll out? 

Either way, they had that awkward one year (2012-13) where their court design was their 2013-14 logos. 

I'm surprised they haven't added purple yet to their main logo. 

4370_phoenix_suns-primary-2014.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

I mean, it’s going to look bad when you use various elements from two different identities.

But that said, the Suns’ current Statement jersey is my favorite look in thier identity (save for the PHX abbreviation). Use that as the base look, and then replace the purple jersey with an orange jersey and then have the home uniform be predominantly orange with black outlines and some purple accents here and there. 

3 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Oh come on... The Iverson era Sixers jerseys weren't even close to the Steelers colors... And you forgot all about the red?

(apologies for the thread jack, but that quote just bothered me)

When I read the article, it seemed that Nike was thinking of basing a uniform on the colors of Rocky’s trunks in Rocky II, which are much more in line withthe Steelers.

s-l300.jpg

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

The Blazers’ Earned set is viewable by changing up the url on LockerVision:

tENR7Bn.jpg

I’m not a huge fan of the single thin diagonal stripe, and I would’ve preferred a full color shorts logo, but otherwise I think these are pretty solid. Especially since they’ll only be worn a few times this season. Now I’m curious to see if their new City uniform will just be a black version of these. I kind of hope not; I’d prefer something a bit more inspired for the new City uniform, especially after last season’s nifty plaid themed uniform to honor Dr. Jack.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

4 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

tENR7Bn.jpg

I’m not a huge fan of the single thin diagonal stripe, and I would’ve preferred a full color shorts logo, but otherwise I think these are pretty solid. Especially since they’ll only be worn a few times this season. Now I’m curious to see if their new City uniform will just be a black version of these. 

That uniform is a super upgrade over this mess of a uniform even though I agree with the majority that the single stripe is disappointing.

17NIKMNBTBLZRSRDSAPT

shado_logo.gif

46 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

tENR7Bn.jpg

I’m not a huge fan of the single thin diagonal stripe, and I would’ve preferred a full color shorts logo, but otherwise I think these are pretty solid. Especially since they’ll only be worn a few times this season. Now I’m curious to see if their new City uniform will just be a black version of these. I kind of hope not; I’d prefer something a bit more inspired for the new City uniform, especially after last season’s nifty plaid themed uniform to honor Dr. Jack.

How do you it? Let's go hunting for other teams! 

13 minutes ago, kimball said:

How do you it? Let's go hunting for other teams! 

As an example, here’s the URL for the image of the Blazers’ Earned uniform:

https://lockervision.nba.com/assets/uniform/Portland Trail Blazers/POR_EE_1_1.jpg

The ‘EE’ in that URL stands for Earned Edition, so you can copy the URL of any of the uniform images on the LockerVision site and change out that part of the URL to ‘EE’ to try and access the images of the Earned sets, or ‘CE’ if you wanna try and find the City sets. If the images aren’t programmed into the site yet, you’ll just get an error message. Also, the numbers following the uniform edition part of the URL correspond to the tight and sock options. The first number is for the tights, while the second is for the socks. I’ve only checked a few teams so far and haven’t been able to find any of the other yet-to-be-released uniforms.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Archived