XFL 2020 Season

ozzyman314

1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

If this league were serious about briging the total time of the game down to under three hours, it would have no overtime at all during the regular season.  A draw is a perfectly legitimate result in any game other than an elimination game. And in the playoffs just play an additional period of, let's say, ten minutes under normal scoring rules, with no gimmicks.

Also, in the interest of shortening the game time, the XFL should have adopted the AAF's no-kickoff policy.  (Maybe have a kickoff to open each half; but have no kickoff after a score.)

I agree completely with the bolded part.  I would be fine if the NFL eliminated overtime in the regular season.  Deciding whether to play for a win or a tie would add an interesting layer of strategy to games, particularly late in the season . . . and might lead to less reliance on tiebreakers to determine playoff berths and seeding.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of you weirdos, like me, may remember the 1-2-3-point conversion option from the 2001 XFL Playoffs. The double-forward pass intrigues me, as well. At least they're getting a little weird with it.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

32 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

Some of you weirdos, like me, may remember the 1-2-3-point conversion option from the 2001 XFL Playoffs. The double-forward pass intrigues me, as well. At least they're getting a little weird with it.

Those things I don't mind.  It's the OT rule that is going to be a bit weird for me but we'll see how it plays on TV

I think it has the potential to grow tiresome like the NHL shootout, but football has the advantage of overtime happening much less frequently, and with the multiple PAT options, probably a lower chance of coaches playing for a tie.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I'd like to see them mash together the 1-2-3-point conversions and the OT. You get five plays... score as many points as you can, based on the same yard lines and point values that you've already established during regulation.

The rule about defensive penalties in OT is going to cause controversy (assuming people care about the games).

The OT Shootout reminds me of FIFA 14 mobile which only True OGs remember.spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

Im an isles,rangers,devils,Sabres,Yankees,Mets,Braves,hawks,knicks,nets,bills,giants,falcons,and jets fan. So?

24 minutes ago, ltp74 said:

Does anyone else think the overtime would be better with only 3 rounds? 

Three rounds would make more sense.

My two cents on the new rules: It alright but kinda makes it own thing. Which is good. It may alienate the old school fans of the game. But newer fans may like it. For me I still need to watch and make my own opinions on it. I did that with "the league that should not be named" and it self destructed. But this time I'm taking my time and seeing how the XFL 2.0 goes down. 

My Alternative History Sports Stories:

CFL-USA - A Different Telling/StL Americans TL

I also am not sure what to think about the shootout OT rule, but I'm glad they're at least trying to innovate. And it's really the polar opposite of the NFL - rather than risking a team's offense never even getting to see the field, both teams are guaranteed to put the ball in their offense's hands. Also, it's going to be high excitement. It'd be like every OT play is a 4th down redzone attempt. Whether it works or not, who knows? But it's intriguing.

While I think two feet in for a catch makes more sense for football, the one foot in rule makes more sense for the XFL just because it does take more talent to get both feet in - and being a league that is naturally going to have some lower level talent playing, it makes sense to make the game more accessible for receivers.

The rule I don't really know if I like is that out of bounds and incomplete passes don't stop the clock, but then in overtime it's the reverse and the clock stops all the time. I get the reasoning for both rules, but it seems bizarre to me.

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

37 minutes ago, Maroon said:

I also am not sure what to think about the shootout OT rule, but I'm glad they're at least trying to innovate. And it's really the polar opposite of the NFL - rather than risking a team's offense never even getting to see the field, both teams are guaranteed to put the ball in their offense's hands. Also, it's going to be high excitement. It'd be like every OT play is a 4th down redzone attempt. Whether it works or not, who knows? But it's intriguing.

While I think two feet in for a catch makes more sense for football, the one foot in rule makes more sense for the XFL just because it does take more talent to get both feet in - and being a league that is naturally going to have some lower level talent playing, it makes sense to make the game more accessible for receivers.

The rule I don't really know if I like is that out of bounds and incomplete passes don't stop the clock, but then in overtime it's the reverse and the clock stops all the time. I get the reasoning for both rules, but it seems bizarre to me.

From what I was told about the XFL overtime, it's basically like a shoot out in the NHL or soccer except football.  I prefer the OT in college football than the NFL. 

On 1/8/2020 at 11:56 AM, Maroon said:

The CFL uses one foot in bounds and it works just fine and dandy there so I don't see any issues here.

I agree with you on the clock stoppage issue. I get they are trying to speed up the game but I'd at least like to see getting out of bounds stopping the clock the whole game...incomplete passes I can be okay with the clock still running.

I don't like most catch rules because of the simple fact that everywhere else on the field, they make a big deal about the "plane", and where the ball is in relation to that "plain" when a player goes down.  That seems to break down on the sidelines, since a guy can catch a ball that's clearly on the outside of that plane, as long as his feet are inside of it.  It's a totally different rule for the sidelines vs everywhere else.  At least keeping two feed in bounds reduces how far out of bounds a ball can be caught, since a receiver would have a little more range if he didn't need to worry about dragging the other foot.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

30 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

So I see. Honestly? Gambling might be the best way to get eyeballs on the league. Otherwise, who would care about watching training camp bodies play each other aside from the novelty factor?

Just giving you the facts.

But it is the XFL, so not many folks on this board care, but alt-football Stans

People bet PRE SEASON NFL games.

People bet on WWE matches.

No question starting with "how much of a degenerate gambler do you have to be to...." deserves an answer.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived