XFL 2023 Logos, Names and Uniforms

The Golden One

These all really suck.

As I expected.

This league will be lucky to make it to a 2nd season. 

I just can’t fathom how people got paid to make these decisions.  It drives me absolutely insane.   I’d freaking do it for free just so they wouldn’t look so ridiculous and fail.

I’m boarding a plane.  Looking forward to getting home so I can waste hours of my life telling people I don’t know on this message board professionals don’t read how bad these are and why.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GDAWG said:

Houston from the other side:

May be an image of football

There's just too much going on here.  I get it...it's supposed to be the Texas flag.  The numbers are too much along with how unusual the paint scheme is on the lid.   And it almost looks like the helmet has a white cap on top of a red shell from this side.  What a trainwreck.

So we have energy-drink logos, logos with colors no where on the home uniform, gradients, cracks, oil spillage, camo, everything but the kitchen sink.  And these monstrosities still suck.  They went for too much "cutesy" bull:censored: when less would have been more, and then dumbed down previously good uniforms.  It amazing one group did so much damage.

• Like 1

There's way too many patterns that don't work and most of the gradients are idiotic, but a few of these teams look better than their previous reincarnation, while most are downgrades. I think it says a lot about how ugly many of XFL 2020’s uniforms were that these don’t feel much worse, even though all but 3 are pretty bad. I'm sure there's details I haven't noticed that I'm not taking into account, but from what I can tell based on short glances, it could be a lot worse.

To rank them from favorite to least favorite:

1. Seattle. No monochrome is a win and I surprisingly love the pattern they use. It's shimmery without being too overbearing and produces a really nice scale effect. The gradients in the number outlines don't bother me here, the subtlety of green-to-navy helps a lot. I'd have preferred a navy facemark but otherwise this is a huge upgrade from their previous iteration. No monochrome is also a huge win here. Very nice uniform in my book. 8/10

2. Arlington. I honestly quite like this set. The powder blue color is gorgeous and there’s enough large chunks of black that I don’t mind the monochrome that much. The inline font is pretty sharp. I’d love to see how a black jersey looks with the powder blue pants and helmet. The logo and name are still atrocious and the alternate logo should be the primary, but otherwise I like this one. 7/10

3. DC. Nothing too different here. Marble texture is weird but not noticeable enough to be offensive. White pants and swapping primary and secondary logos would be great. 6/10

4. St. Louis. The first big downgrade. The previous iteration had - in my opinion - by far the best set in the league, excellent color balance, and a badass helmet. This is incredibly plain and boring, but the least offensive of the remaining teams. 5/10

5 San Antonio. What in the world is that helmet? I know it’s supposed to be bull horns, but it doesn’t look anything like them. Way too low and far back on the helmet. The uniforms aren’t that bad, but I really don’t like grey and yellow as a color scheme and nothing here is very good. 4/10

6. Las Vegas. Incredibly boring and needlessly edgy, but it’s so plain that it’s not worth getting mad about. Logo and wordmark are atrocious though. 4/10

7. Orlando. These colors are fine in theory but look awful in practice. The lime and silver shouldn’t touch at all and the numbers should be silver. Too much lime all around and the patterns in the stripes don’t need to be there at all. 3/10

8. Houston. Ugh. This is one of the worst uniforms I’ve laid eyes on. The stupid number and stripe gradients are horrible, the white shoulder yoke looks incredibly dumb, and the helmet doesn’t even remotely match. 2/10

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

Arlington’s helmet logo touching the stripe is driving me nuts.

Also, the terrible attempt at presumably what I interpret as a “modern” Oilers away uniform.

Horrible execution everywhere.

EDIT: Looks like the logo and stripe aren’t touching. Either way, the whole thing sucks

OK, revisiting this after the initial horror.   Trying not to be 100% negative.  Looking at the details as more images come out, there are some interesting elements that with better execution could look really good.  So, here are five elements which (if done a bit better) could be a good look and 5 mortal sins the XFL has committed with this round of uniforms:

INTRIGUING ELEMENTS

1.  I actually am pretty impressed with some of the textured elements. The oil slick Houston pant stripe, the snakeskin pattern on the black numbers for Las Vegas, the dragon scales on the Seattle pant stripe.  They overdo it by repeating the motif too much in the uniform, creating things like navy numbers on a navy Houston jersey, or snakeskin on numbers, sleeves and pants (too much), and the Seattle helmet stripe is too much.  But, in small doses like just in 1 stripe or just in the numbers, this can work well.

2. The use of transitional color not on the numbers themselves, but on the piping/outline around them.  They do this with Seattle very well, a bit less successful with San Antonio.   I am very much against colored numbers on a dark jersey, prefering the crispness of a white number, but I like the idea of having the outline shift from one team color to another (green to blue on Seattle), as long as neither of the colors is the color of the jersey itself.  I could see this working particularly when teams have 3 main colors.

3. Other than DC, all the teams have pant stripes.  That is a good thing.  Not all look great, but the era of plain pants we are seeing in the NCAA and even some NFL Teams (Manders, I am looking at you) is not a good trend.  

4. Only DC has sleeve stripes, and that just feels like a trend, moving towards shoulder or sleeve colors instead, just seems so necessary with the new cuts of the jerseys.  And where they did shoulder stripes, they avoided the mid-shoulder cutoff like the Colts and Patriots have, which look so awkward. You have to extend them down further on the front and back to at least try to show some semblance of "underarm".    I am excluding whatever overalls-styled stripe the Renegades are trying for here.  That is just fugly. 

5. I like the idea that teams could have a light jersey set that is not necessarily white.  San Antonio using yellow is an idea that should work for either LA team in the NFL.  Not as sold on St. Louis's grey, mostly because grey and gold are tough when materials on the uniforms are dull/matte and the helmet is glossy or metallic.

KINDER NO BUENO

1. Unitards.  Vegas in particular is over the top.  Black helmet, black facemask, black jersey with black striping, black pants with black textured stripe, black socks.  It's just not a good look.  I guess "the kids" like it, and I am just an old man who likes white socks with stripes, pants with stripes, contrasting helmet, jersey, pants, socks, etc.  But if so, I can only say what I think.

2. Trying too hard to be edgy:  Whether it is Arlington's overalls, Houston's helmet, Seattle's chrome helmet with weird fractile attempt at dragon scales, or Houston's unecessary yoke, there is just  a lot of trying too hard to do something different for the sake of being different.

3. Some of the number fonts just do not work.  I like what they are doing with DC, and even Houston's and Seattle's work for me, but the Arlington one is just bad, especially on the white jersey, and some of the fonts just don't seem to mesh with the rest of the look.

4. Overemphasized chest logos.  When you have the team name on the front of they jersey, having large league and brand logos as well just makes it look messy, like a Mexican soccer league kit with 17 sponsors on it.  Houston is particularly bad with this since their use of a yoke just makes it so much more obvious that they are making space for those logos with cutouts. 

5. Whatever Arlington's helmet is trying to do.  I am just not sold on the huge, wide stripe thing.  Add to that the all white logo awkwardly placed beneath it.  It is easy to complain about Houston's ludicrous Texas flag concept, but Arlington's helmet may be even worse.  I remember Indiana U. did a similar thing and it really did not work for them either.   I get that the new helmets, with all the cutouts and holes in them make life difficult for using standard decals, but this is not the answer. 

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Massively awful.

That's pretty much all there is to say.

Except for maybe this... everything the USFL got right with the uniforms, these idiots got wrong.

Some of the uniform choices made by Under Armour and the XFL here remind of when Nike tries showing off what each part of their soccer uniform looks like. 

2022 U.S. Soccer jerseys released - Stars and Stripes FCXFL's Houston Roughnecks uniforms revealed for 2023 season

We already can see where the seams are, just build a football jersey. And I feel like the Houston wordmark is on the wrong jersey. 

The San Antonio Brahmas reveal uniforms for the 2023 XFL season | WOAIThe San Antonio Brahmas reveal uniforms for the 2023 XFL season | WOAI

This a good looking jersey with that shoulder insert, but add something there. They did it with Seattle, why not take that collar design and place it on the shoulder loops? If that gold jersey is available, that's probably the one I'd get between the two options. I like their helmet design as well. It reminds me of the California Bulls from an HBO series with a  former NFL running back even though they aren't using a similar design.

San Antonio Brahmas unveil jerseys for first XFL season

California Bulls Mini Helmet - HBO 1st and 10 | eBay

Arlington Renegades, DFW's XFL team, has released its uniforms | wfaa.com

Arlington reminds me of a Virginia Tech knockoff, rather than a professional team. The light blue jerseys should have been the away option with a black version as the home uniform. And use the now secondary logo! That primary doesn't look like an AR, it just looks like a R that is part of a bigger logo. 

Guardians quarterback Deondre Francois models the team's new home uniforms for the 2023 season. It's part of a deal between the XFL and Under Armour, which will be the exclusive provider of all on-field uniforms, including jerseys, base layer, sideline and training apparel, for all XFL teams.XFL, Orlando Guardians debut home and away uniforms

Orlando's aways don't match the pants, and the grey sleeves aren't a good look on either jersey.

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png