XFL 2023 Logos, Names and Uniforms

The Golden One

I can't help but feel disappointment, even after giving the new set a bit to grow on me.

Renegades- That's clearly a D, and I don't understand how this logo looks like it does. Had they just kept the last version, the bandana cowboy, then this would have been fine. Instead they bothered to make a whole new logo, but the logo is an R, but also a D... and also a Confederate flag homage? REALLY?

Defenders- I mean it's fine... but it's a huge step down from the last one.

Roughnecks- They did what they had to do. I don't blame them for this one. They were only going to get away with ripping off the Oilers for so long.

Guardians- I don't like it. Sorry.  I get why they moved out of Tampa, but giving the Tampa Bay Vipers' colours to the Orlando team, but also the Guardians' identity... it's a mess. Why couldn't Orlando have just kept the Vipers name too?

Brahmas- It's the Rock. I get it. I wouldn't even mind the ego stroke if the logo was any good. But it sucks.

Sea Dragons- Why the change from Dragons to Sea Dragons? Easier to trademark? Eh... it's fine. Still amazed that UAB hasn't sued them over it.

Battlehawks- It's pretty much unchanged from the last go-around. Which is fine! I wish the Renegades, Defenders, and Vipers-turned-Guardians had it so good.

Vipers- It looks like a discount sportswear brand. Add in the generic red/black colour scheme and my saltiness over Vegas getting the Vipers name... nothing works here for me.

I get that the XFL 3.0 was gonna recycle as much as they could from the XFL 2.0, and that's fine. In some cases I wish they reused more! But most of the changes to existing identities were downgrades, and the new stuff underwhelms. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, IceCap said:

I can't help but feel disappointment, even after giving the new set a bit to grow on me.

Renegades- That's clearly a D, and I don't understand how this logo looks like it does. Had they just kept the last version, the bandana cowboy, then this would have been fine. Instead they bothered to make a whole new logo, but the logo is an R, but also a D... and also a Confederate flag homage? REALLY?

What am I missing here?  No-one else has said anything like that and in 2022, no-one with any sense would try to brand that either. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

I will say, though, that I like the Vegas logo a whole lot more now that the fang aspect has been pointed out to me.  I feel dumb not noticing that earlier, but I suppose the Tampa attempt at a snake's head was in my head.

There was an alternate snake head Vipers logo for Tampa Bay.  It wasnt used much.

tampa_bay_vipers_2020-presa.png

• Like 6

1 hour ago, walkerws said:

You're not wrong.... There's been a bunch of different flags flown in Texas.  That slide is definitely cringy at best. 🤦‍♂️

There's been a bunch of different flags flown in Texas, yeah.

But only one of them comes to mind when I think "rebellion" and "diagonal line" 😬

• Like 12
  • Dislike 1

On 11/5/2022 at 1:31 PM, ManillaToad said:

Texas rebelled away from like 5 different countries. Their current flag is a symbol of rebelling against Mexico lol

The 1824 flag is what Texians flew during the Texas Revolution, not the Lone Star flag. The Lone Star flag replaced it when Texas won independence.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 11/5/2022 at 3:48 PM, IceCap said:

There's been a bunch of different flags flown in Texas, yeah.

But only one of them comes to mind when I think "rebellion" and "diagonal line" 😬

Crazy to think someone would use that as part of their marketing in 2022.

• Like 3

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

35 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

Crazy to think someone would use that as part of their marketing in 2022.

Especially from a project the Rock is involved in. He's a PR robot. He- or the people who run his Twitter- should know better. 

• Like 4

I look at the Arlington Renegades' new primary logo and I see nothing more egregious than a jumbled mess. There's a stylized A, a stylized R, a diagonal line that serves as both the stem of the A and the leg of the R, a couple of additional diagonal lines created by negative space within the logo, and a curved line that could serve to define the bowl of either a stylized R or a stylized D, the latter a nod to the team's old Dallas place name.

As for an homage to the Confederate Battle Flag/"Stainless Banner", there isn't a star to be glimpsed and a diagonal line isn't the crossed diagonals of the Confederate flag's saltire. Further, I'm not about to put any stock in the Renegades' slide presentation that claims,  "The diagonal line cutting through the R is an homage to the flags of rebellion flown throughout Texas' history." The members of this community are normally quick to deride such marketing-speak for the meaningless blather that it all too often is, yet we're going to accept at face value the notion that a modern professional sports franchise would base its visual identity upon one of the most divisive symbols in American history?         

• Like 6