XFL 2023 Logos, Names and Uniforms

The Golden One

Time to grade these logos (In alphabetical order)

ARLINGTON- What the hell is this? I’ve been questioning why they would even go with this. The masked bandit as the secondary saves it. Grade D-

DC- This one is decent. I feel like they could have gone with the secondary as their primary and vice versa. Grade C

HOUSTON- Best of a bad bunch. Just a slight tweak but it works. Grade A-

ORLANDO- So it took me a while to realize that it’s not black but a low saturation greenish-grey. Overall the name nor the colors works for me. Grade D

SAN ANTONIO- This one is interesting. The B looks like an R and I am still puzzled why Rock put in a team based on his WWE nickname. Grade B-

SEATTLE- Adding “SEA” to the name is unnecessary. And the logo looks too cartoonish. Grade C-

ST LOUIS- A clone of the 2020 version. What else do I have to say. Grade B

VEGAS- Just another monogram. And I still don’t get the weird line. Grade C-

OVERALL- They replaced a great set with this. For that they get an F

Took a couple days for me to finally digest the branding and all I can say is the first two XFLs were better.

ARLINGTON- Just call them Dallas. We all know Arlington is Dallas

DC- I keep looking at this one and it still keeps screaming Denver Spurs recreation with the star in the D.

HOUSTON- Chopped off the top of the oil derrick to get around the Oilers infringements. Overall still good, if not the best of the league.

ORLANDO- Name just doesnt fit with Orlando. Also reminds me of  the AFL San Jose Sabercats

SAN ANTONIO- this one gives me Mooterus PTSD.  Should have kept the Wildcats name in the league instead.

SEATTLE- Not bad. Adding Sea to the name is unnecessary. Third best logo in the league.

ST LOUIS- Nothing really changed other than the wordmark but still solid. Second best logo.

VEGAS- If describing what I see in the league logos was a Rorschach test, Id say San Antonio and Vegas look like vaginas, and for being a gay man thats two too many that I want to see.

OVERALL- For a league that wants to be professional this all looks very high schoolish.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

Signature intentionally left blank

We did a survey on my Facebook page as the community voted the Houston Roughnecks as the best logo for 2023. They also voted the Roughnecks #1 in 2020. Here were the results for this year, the closer to 10.00, the better the score:

1. Houston Roughnecks 7.03
  2. St. Louis Battlehawks 6.97
  3. Arlington Renegades 6.22
  4. DC Defenders 6.10
  5. San Antonio Brahmas 6.03
  6. Seattle Sea Dragons 5.85
  7. Orlando Guardians 5.30
  8. Las Vegas Vipers  4.93

spacer.png

Interesting reveal. Think some people are being a little overly critical in the thread to be honest.

The DC set looks good and I think the DC-star mark is a solid and recognizable football logo which is better than their City's NFL team, in my opinion. 

Guardians logo is ok but not for an Orlando team.

I never liked the Vipers logo so that logo is a slight upgrade to me.

Seattle is a pretty good set I think. The colors were pretty well done as well for a relatively non-conventional palette.

Renegades. I mean, yeah the hate is warranted here. Looks like a scratched Overwatch League team (old primary logo included).

St. Louis looks about the same and I didn't mind it the first time around. 

Brahmas? Another esports-esque logo (maybe that was their play? Get the yungins involved?). Not good. I'll at least commend them for trying something completely new. For some reason I keep thinking of the Brahmin from Fallout, though.

Roughnecks is a good logo through and through. Not much to criticize here to be honest.

All in all, Seattle, STL, DC, and Houston look solid enough in my opinion. The other half of the league does look a little rough though. 

• Like 3

On 10/31/2022 at 10:55 AM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Oh, hell yeah on that San Antonio letter logo!  That has to be on the helmet.

Oh...   I think you hit on something here.  The Renegades have this crappy primary and the old great logo that people keep saying they hope is staying on the helmet.  The Defenders and Sea Dragons have logos that are aimed in one direction and have the classic Baltimore Ravens issue of how you display it on both sides of a helmet.

What if Rock or whoever is going into this is going in with a thought process less like the NFL's brand to these identities.  The NFL almost exclusively uses the helmet logo for the primary.  Compare with, say, MLB, where for much of their history there is a complex primary logo and a simple logo on the cap/uniform.  Could whoever mandated this identity set may have asked for a primary and a helmet logo.  Thus Arlington makes up some crappy placeholder to keep the bandit on their helmets.

I think that every single one of those "secondary logos" in that set is the helmet logo.  They're largely symmetrical and weighty, often replacing logos that are more complex or slight.  Houston's primary is a good helmet logo, but they're trying to avoid looking like the Oilers.  I'm sure the Battlehawks will remain with the wings on their helmet, but you can't show that off as a logo really, so they throw out a simple monogram tertiary logo.  The only one that breaks this really is the San Antonio logo, but I can see them going with the B on one side and number on the other, or perhaps just one logo like the Steelers.

• Like 3

spacer.png

spacer.png

40 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Oh...   I think you hit on something here.  The Renegades have this crappy primary and the old great logo that people keep saying they hope is staying on the helmet.  The Defenders and Sea Dragons have logos that are aimed in one direction and have the classic Baltimore Ravens issue of how you display it on both sides of a helmet.

It won't be a big issue with Seattle if they give them a similar helmet treatment that they did with the 2020 version, in which the dragon flowed up from the bottom of the helmet. If that's the case, you wouldn't see the "S" shape. 

spacer.png

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

It won't be a big issue with Seattle if they give them a similar helmet treatment that they did with the 2020 version, in which the drag flowed up from the bottom of the helmet. If that's the case, you wouldn't see the "S" shape. 

spacer.png

I think cutting off the logo, like UAB does would have looked better on the helmet.

UAB and VICIS announce partnership to deliver safer football helmets - News  | UAB

• Dislike 2

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Was there any threats with UAB as there was with the Oilers and Astros?  Although they may be trying to avoid any further trouble.

Of course, you've got the Battlehawks and the Eagles, but I feel like wings are common.  Like the classic wolverine striping, where it's been done so much that no one can own it.  Or, I may be wrong and they might switch to the STL.

spacer.png

spacer.png

32 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Was there any threats with UAB as there was with the Oilers and Astros?  Although they may be trying to avoid any further trouble.

Of course, you've got the Battlehawks and the Eagles, but I feel like wings are common.  Like the classic wolverine striping, where it's been done so much that no one can own it.  Or, I may be wrong and they might switch to the STL.

I recall the intellectual property dispute over the Roughnecks' logo looking too derivative to the Oilers oil derrick logo, but I don't recall there ever being an issue with the Astros and the XFL. 

1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

I recall the intellectual property dispute over the Roughnecks' logo looking too derivative to the Oilers oil derrick logo, but I don't recall there ever being an issue with the Astros and the XFL. 

Huh.  Thought someone said something about the Astros.  There's been years and plenty of other concerns in the meantime.

As for the helmet thing, just a theory, but It seems to make sense looking at the primary/secondary logos in that set of images.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I quite like a lot of what we have here. I think the league did a good job. I don’t think there is a bad apple in the bunch honestly. I like the colors, and I’m glad we have some returning, albeit, modified identities from 2020. I think the biggest outlier here is Arlington.

I think I see what’s going on there. I see A/R with the A in the negative space. I also see a D (for Dallas) being crossed out. It’s cheeky, and petty. I dig it. The logo as a whole is a downgrade from the bandit, but I do like how it stands out amongst the set. Feels different from everything else. I think the designers did a good job avoiding making the logos look like they came from the same house.

My home team is the Brahmas and I think they smoked it. Big fan of this new take on the Bull skull. I dig the lightning bolt horns. Kind of a call back to the Thunderbolts from 2001 with the B in the middle. Love the dark gray and yellow too. I hope the primary jersey is yellow, but I think they’ll be tempted to go gray with yellow pants. Ahh well.

Im in the minority but I also love the guardians. The name doesn’t bother me. We’ve seen it a million times…a team relocates and keeps the name/logos even if it doesn’t make sense. I like what they’ve done here though. Turned the NY gargoyle into a Florida Panther, and gave it kick ass colors. You can still see the roots of the team, but the change is substantial enough that it feels new.

• Like 1