Lakers Officially Unveil New Uniforms for 2018-19

TJSC

17 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

In a vacuum, I actually don't think the purple uniform looks bad, even with the black side panels. But it just doesn't look like the Lakers to me. They should have just had it match the other 2 uniforms.

I'd like to stick that purple jersey in a vacuum and leave it there. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they felt like they just had to use black somewhere they should have put it on the white jersey. Leave the purple and gold jerseys alone.

Are there any changes to the logo?

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

21 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

In a vacuum, I actually don't think the purple uniform looks bad, even with the black side panels. But it just doesn't look like the Lakers to me. They should have just had it match the other 2 uniforms.

My thoughts exactly.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

17 minutes ago, colortv said:

Where did you read the black panel is honor a player? 

I think he's thinking it's the jersey to honor Magic -- which will be their designated City Jersey.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

33 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

See: Bengals, Cardinals, Niners, etc.

If by niners you speak of the half assed attempt at bringing back the classic look, then I'd agree. Though nike didn't even fix that and made it worse by dropping one of the 3 stripes.

And yes there had been a few looks that were bad but that was inevitable. Instead of fixing and learning from those mistakes Nike went even further out there with Sea, TB, Jax, ...etc.

I don't get why Nike has to be so obtuse about the Lakers' Statement Edition situation. Nike doesn't have to treat the purples like some kind of bold, fashion-type uniform just because they have become the de-facto alternates as a result of the Sunday whites moving to Association status. Exceptions, such as grandfathering in the gold home jerseys, have been made for the Lakers in the past to protect one of the most storied brands in all of sports. There's no reason to treat the Lakers like they're OKC, and have the Statement uniform be trendy (if it were the '90s) and expendable.

Oh well, now I can't wait for the next Statement Edition jersey to be unveiled in two years, so I guess Nike's system of planned obsolescence is already working on me. I just can't believe they imposed it upon the Lakers, of all teams.

30 minutes ago, Survival79 said:

If they felt like they just had to use black somewhere they should have put it on the white jersey. Leave the purple and gold jerseys alone.

Doesn't seem like it. The logos on the Lakers' social media accounts are still the same ones. Personally I think that the logo is a classic and there's nothing really much to improve on it besides minor fixes. I'd rather keep the logo the same than to see a botched "modernization" of it. 

The black side panels on the purple jersey make no senses whatsoever.  Hard to believe that the Lakers could look bad.  However, it probably doesn't matter too much since they will probably wear them a handful of times, judging by how things went last year, new jersey or not.  Now there is a legit reason to wear the yellow jersey for every single game.

41 minutes ago, SuperNerdToTheRescue said:

I don't get why Nike has to be so obtuse about the Lakers' Statement Edition situation. Nike doesn't have to treat the purples like some kind of bold, fashion-type uniform just because they have become the de-facto alternates as a result of the Sunday whites moving to Association status. Exceptions, such as grandfathering in the gold home jerseys, have been made for the Lakers in the past to protect one of the most storied brands in all of sports. There's no reason to treat the Lakers like they're OKC, and have the Statement uniform be trendy (if it were the '90s) and expendable.

Oh well, now I can't wait for the next Statement Edition jersey to be unveiled in two years, so I guess Nike's system of planned obsolescence is already working on me. I just can't believe they imposed it upon the Lakers, of all teams.

In the end, this is on the Lakers. If they didn't want black on the purple jersey, it wouldn't be there.

1 hour ago, Survival79 said:

That's what I want to know. It was stated somewhere the primary logo would be tweaked a bit. As iconic as it is, it really could stand for a clean-up a bit.

I'm happy Nike at least didn't touch the iconic block font (which the Lakers have used since at least the 60s, IIRC) and didn't replace it with some new custom font. It's actually a fairly standard varsity block font, and similar to what the Cowboys used to use, except for differences in the 6 and 9.

I still don't know what that black stripe might mean, general design suggets that it could be related with Kobe a.k.a "Black Mamba", but Lakers only said something like "We add black stripe, because there is no stripes on other jerseys.". I like Icon jersey except collar, Association jerseys is also not bad, but it should be threated like a third  not home.

4r2eer.png

Archived