AHL/ECHL/Minor/Junior League Hockey Changes

Dante_X

Danbury returns to the Federal Hockey League with the Hat Tricks. Not a bad identity for a low level minor league. Danbury is known as Hat City for its hat making history and ties. A great tie in to hockey with the name.

spacer.png

• Like 7

Signature intentionally left blank

Free the Trashers!

In all seriousness, an inspired choice of both name and emblem.  Wish I'd thought of it.

• Like 1

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

• 2 weeks later...

This feels wasted on the FHL. Their average identity lasts just over a year and a half, plus this'll be the third identity for the city. It's fantastic for that level, and I need to look at some merch. I just hate that it'll most likely be gone in three years.

• Like 1

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

I like that they chose a rabbit as well.  Hat - Magician - Trick - Pulling Rabbit out of Hat....

Took me a minute to make that connection, but it's very well thought out.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

17 minutes ago, LMU said:

One of the rare occasions that such a generic, cliché name could be morphed into something pretty brilliant. 

Oddly enough, this is the first time I've seen Hat Tricks used as a team name in spite of it's cliche-ness.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

1 minute ago, pianoknight said:

I like that they chose a rabbit as well.  Hat - Magician - Trick - Pulling Rabbit out of Hat....

Took me a minute to make that connection, but it's very well thought out.

It's actually clever and well executed, instead of a Brandiosesque, ham-fisted attempt at being clever. 

Just now, Discrimihater said:

Oddly enough, this is the first time I've seen Hat Tricks used as a team name in spite of it's cliche-ness.

First time I've seen it for a "proper" team. Lots of beer league use.

• Like 2

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

The CHL Memorial Cup is happening right now.  The host, Halifax Moosehead, wore a special, memorial jersey for the opener.  Too bad they completed the look with socks that don't wrap all the way around, just like their opponents on the night, the Prince Albert Raiders.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, M4One said:

The CHL Memorial Cup is happening right now.  The host, Halifax Moosehead, wore a special, memorial jersey for the opener.  Too bad they completed the look with socks that don't wrap all the way around, just like their opponents on the night, the Prince Albert Raiders.

spacer.png

I appreciate what they are trying to do with the commemorative jersey every year, but I am not a really big fan of the host team wearing the one-off uniforms every year.  Memorial Cup games are of special significance to a major junior franchise.  Tough for a team to get there.  Yet the host will play a game in a one-off uniform.  Would rather see them wear their regular uniforms and even a regular third alright during the tournament.

This year was especially strange as the Mooseheads were wearing blue and white.  Really different from  their usual colour scheme.  Didn't look like the Mooseheads out there in one of the more important games in their season.

On April 25, 2019 at 1:13 PM, philcar1994 said:

I got you

Uniform unveil is next week

33820382858_1dfbd10a45_b.jpg

Hot garbage.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

4 hours ago, Wade Heidt said:

I appreciate what they are trying to do with the commemorative jersey every year, but I am not a really big fan of the host team wearing the one-off uniforms every year.  Memorial Cup games are of special significance to a major junior franchise.  Tough for a team to get there.  Yet the host will play a game in a one-off uniform.  Would rather see them wear their regular uniforms and even a regular third alright during the tournament.

This year was especially strange as the Mooseheads were wearing blue and white.  Really different from  their usual colour scheme.  Didn't look like the Mooseheads out there in one of the more important games in their season.

Do they only wear them in their opening game? As an Tri-City Americans fan, I've never seen them host a Memorial Cup, much less play in one so I'm genuinely curious. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

12 hours ago, Wade Heidt said:

It does seem like past teams had a jersey that was more in line with their regular colours.  But, it wasn't like the blue and white was completely random, though.  The jerseys are also auctioned off and all proceeds go to help veterans, so I'm okay for 1 game out of min. 3, them not looking like how they regularly do.

From the Moosehead website.

The Theme Jersey was designed by the Halifax Mooseheads in conjunction with the Canadian Hockey League.  The jersey pays tribute to the Nova Scotia Highlanders (NS Highrs) by proudly displaying their hat badge as our front crest. The NS Highrs are one of only two units from the Maritime provinces that took part in the Landing at Normandy on D-Day in 1944 during World War II. This year marks the 75thanniversary of that event.

2 hours ago, M4One said:

It does seem like past teams had a jersey that was more in line with their regular colours.  But, it wasn't like the blue and white was completely random, though.  The jerseys are also auctioned off and all proceeds go to help veterans, so I'm okay for 1 game out of min. 3, them not looking like how they regularly do.

From the Moosehead website.

The Theme Jersey was designed by the Halifax Mooseheads in conjunction with the Canadian Hockey League.  The jersey pays tribute to the Nova Scotia Highlanders (NS Highrs) by proudly displaying their hat badge as our front crest. The NS Highrs are one of only two units from the Maritime provinces that took part in the Landing at Normandy on D-Day in 1944 during World War II. This year marks the 75thanniversary of that event.

Further to the sock striping not wrapping all the way around on the Mooseheads uniform, not sure why, but the it was the same way with the Regina Pats commemorative uniform last year.

spacer.png

The Prince Albert Raiders' sock striping one of the few relics remaining from Reebok Edge uniforms.  I would fully expect ( and really hope) to see the Raiders get redesign for their uniform striping next year with the change to CCM QuickLite uniforms.

The striping not being on the back of the socks could also be a manufacturing thing. The Jr. A team I did colour for, and a couple others in that league, had no sock striping on the back because it’s a different material. No idea why it’s a different material, but it is.

If you look at Hebig (#41) in that picture above, you can see what I’m talking about because you can see the back of his shinpads through the back of the sock.

8 hours ago, Wade Heidt said:

The Prince Albert Raiders' sock striping one of the few relics remaining from Reebok Edge uniforms.  I would fully expect ( and really hope) to see the Raiders get redesign for their uniform striping next year with the change to CCM QuickLite uniforms.

PA changed to their current set in 2013, well after other teams had started to figure out and fix their Edge missteps. (The CHL switched to Edge for the 09-10 season, two years after the NHL)

This leads me to believe the entire set was a choice, not a relic of the past.

I’ve posted on the boards before about PA’s set looking like it’s from the original NHL Edge rollout, despite the jerseys being unveiled six years later. It’s got issues that had already been fixed by other teams.

IbjBaeE.png

9 hours ago, Wade Heidt said:

Further to the sock striping not wrapping all the way around on the Mooseheads uniform, not sure why, but the it was the same way with the Regina Pats commemorative uniform last year.

spacer.png

I can say from personal experience of designing sublimated hockey uniforms, many times the back of the socks is left blank (NO design wrapping around) for printing and sewing, just so they dont have issue with the design not lining up when stitched together.

4 minutes ago, philcar1994 said:

Erie Otters unveiled new home and away uniforms for next year. New updated Otter logo with "ERIE" spelled out in the helmets, new shoulder patch also. I assume the gold jersey is now the Alternate.

46968139575_09f5f3ec96_b.jpg

Really glad they brought the otter logo back. The script alone just doesn't work, but I can deal with it on the gold jersey. The keystone logo is a nice touch too. Maybe that will make an appearance on the alternate in the future.