Miami Marlins 2019 Rebrand

SilverBullet1929

4 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Yes.  And somehow problems like this or the Browns’ orange-on-brown still get through. 

I’d have to imagine that some teams just don’t care and go with what they wanted in the first place... Cause there’s no way that some of these teams would have a dark jersey with dark numbers and letters pass on a visibility test. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

I think they get so used to how it looks they can't see things from an outside prospective.  I've done that at work with websites before.

Yeah, I think that’s more likely.  Confirmation bias is a real thing.  Like how you can proofread your own post and miss errors, your eye sees what you meant to type instead of what you actually typed. 

I expect those color tests were more about “yeah, I think those designs we already love will work fine” rather than an objective evaluation. 

Sadly I don't think the visibility tests are done for the broadcasts/through the camera lenses. Instead these tests are done in a boardroom or on the field. 

Naked eye visibility for say an umpire is vastly different than what we see on TV. Same with broadcasters. I haven't heard a single announcer complain about the Marlins black jerseys. To the naked eye, and in person, there are minimal issues. Through the camera and broadcasted out, it's obviously a mess. 

I see it a lot with basketball court designs. They are designed with the in person crowd in mind 90% of the time, and they may think about the TV viewer 10% of the time. A lot of under the basketball baseline text designs get cut off on TV screens. Designers don't think of the outside viewing audience often. 

They probably did field test the black jersey and knew it was illegible. My guess is that they overlooked that part because they figured that the overall design was something that could be worn clubbing in South Beach (or so they wished). As in, they seemed to sacrifice what is practical for what could be deemed "fashionable" as street wear. Obviously something unconventional or conveying some kind of Miami flare is what they were attempting here. Whether or not they actually achieved that is debatable.

They also probably didn't place their focus group in a field test/ballpark situation, either, so there's that. I'd give anything to hear what went down during those deliberations.

6 minutes ago, MattMill said:

Sadly I don't think the visibility tests are done for the broadcasts/through the camera lenses. Instead these tests are done in a boardroom or on the field. 

Naked eye visibility for say an umpire is vastly different than what we see on TV. Same with broadcasters. I haven't heard a single announcer complain about the Marlins black jerseys. To the naked eye, and in person, there are minimal issues. Through the camera and broadcasted out, it's obviously a mess. 

I see it a lot with basketball court designs. They are designed with the in person crowd in mind 90% of the time, and they may think about the TV viewer 10% of the time. A lot of under the basketball baseline text designs get cut off on TV screens. Designers don't think of the outside viewing audience often. 

I get the impression they don't work too well to the naked eye either unless you're standing only a few feet away from them.

1 hour ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

"It should be fine, we're only wearing them two days a week, but we'll sell a ton."

This could be.  But they could have easily made it a BP jersey and sold the same amount.  Not to belabor a point that I’m alone on but I went to a Saturday game, sat in left field and could read the SS and 3B jerseys just fine. 

8 hours ago, mmajeski06 said:

My wife got this hat at the game yesterday - saw it on a few people (mostly women) as well. I don't hate the look and it was popular:

IMG-0536.jpg

The team store has tons of stuff you don’t see online.  A lot of “Miami” type things. There’s no shortage of opportunities for them to sell that image.  When the branding first rolled out a lot of people wanted the uniforms to have the colors you see in this photo.  It’s not stopping them from using it in merchandise 

Maybe that was the point. Have the blander stuff on the field so you can sell everything else as fashion caps or jerseys. Similarl to what the Brewers do with the ball-in-glove. 

16 hours ago, MattMill said:

Sounds like you haven't been to a game, then.  The jerseys are completely illegible from the seats.  You can barely make out the (giant) NUMBERS on the back from some angles.  If you're up close with good lighting, they're fine.  But anything at a distance or in poor lighting, it just looks black.

On a sidenote, they're doing a '97 throwback weekend from July 26-28.

Screenshot_20190701-163221_Instagram.jpg

And I just noticed that I think Loria got the "toothpaste"/abstract Marlin design on the previous logo from the tail of the "S" in Marlins (the part under the "MA" but flipped upside down).

8 hours ago, Marlins93 said:

That advertisement gives me chills whenever I see it!

They showed the promo at one point during the game on Sunday and it actually got a bit of a cheer from the crowd. Pretty notable considering it was uniform related and the place was majority Philly fans. 

Is that Miami Heat 2020 Vice jersey leak legit? Because if it is then it looks like it's the Heat copying the Marlins blue when I was told on here last year that the Marlins stole the Heat's colors.

So let me see if I get this right...

Heat use teal and pink.

Marlins rebrand to light blue and red.

Heat then create a light blue jersey.

Who copied who now? 

1 hour ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Is that Miami Heat 2020 Vice jersey leak legit? Because if it is then it looks like it's the Heat copying the Marlins blue when I was told on here last year that the Marlins stole the Heat's colors.

Heat use teal and pink.

Who copied who now? 

They've used black, pink and white uniforms already in this color scheme, blue seemed like the next logical choice, so I wouldn't really say they "copied" the Marlins. Besides, they used these colors before the Marlins switched.

1 hour ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Heat use teal and pink.

Who copied who now? 

Marlins copied the Heat.

Next question.

Archived