Old school --lower case, non-caps in branding

B-Rich

A while back on this board, I noticed an old 1970s nameplate for the San Diego Padres, and what struck me for the first time was that the name plate (same as was on the jersey back in the day) was actually in ALL lowercase letters:

5d6cd7b5f8ece1b9feec52cf57e2b4bc.gif 

This goes against standard English language procedure for teams, and even standard sports team logoing, which is (traditionally and today) either "caps as first letter"  OR "all caps". 

When I became to think about it, I noticed that this was a bit of trend for sports teams in the  60s/70s, much like teal/aqua/ turquoise/jade was a color trend for teams in the late 80s/90s. Like that color trend, I think this lower case trend was a refection of things outside of sports design... teal really came into its own as a  color at that time in terms of clothing, CARS, even things as simple as patterns on paper cups and such.  I can remember back in the 60s/70s, in advertising and display and marketing, the "lower case" deal was a very real "hip" thing as well.

When I really started looking into it, though, it amazed me how many examples of this trend I could find from that era:

logo_bullets77-78.gif EXPOS_LOGO.png s-l400.jpg

858736dfedeeab4721d0e27b66daf0ab.gif  Wheels%2074%20Helmet%20x.jpg  hwl?set=sku%5B20967200%5D,c%5B2%5D,w%5B4

10cef83b97279811cade98b519aaa70b--angel-   DenverDynamos.png  philadelphia_phillies_1970-1975.png

Probably the last "new" example of this I could find chronologically was the USFL Chicago Blitz, which played from 1983-84:

Chicago_Blitz_helmet_1984.png

Any other examples anyone can think of, or any thoughts? 

It is what it is.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This thread reminds me - the mothership's WFL Detroit Wheels logo needs some major fixes. It's in navy and orange with the wheel off-center.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I wonder, do the Suns fit in this category? It certainly has the look of those kinds of wordmarks, although 1) only applying to “suns” and not the city name, and 2) I’ve never been quite sure if the “s”s were intended to be read as uppercase or lowercase: 

487_phoenix-suns-secondary-1969.gif

5328.gif

In any case, I honestly have always liked the look of all-lowercase wordmarks. There’s just a certain “coolness” to it. Great thread idea!

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

38 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

You forgot my favorite. 

69591_01.jpgs-l1600.jpg

Good call. 

First appeared in 1961; probably the first instance of the lower-case deal.... interesting in that it went away in 1975 only to came back in 2000....

It is what it is.

2 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I wonder, do the Suns fit in this category? It certainly has the look of those kinds of wordmarks, although 1) only applying to “suns” and not the city name, and 2) I’ve never been quite sure if the “s”s were intended to be read as uppercase or lowercase: 

487_phoenix-suns-secondary-1969.gif

5328.gif

In any case, I honestly have always liked the look of all-lowercase wordmarks. There’s just a certain “coolness” to it. Great thread idea!

Suns only went with “lower case” so that the word would look the same upside down. Cool feature. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Good call on the ABA, except for one.

1 hour ago, Discogod said:

5990.gif

I don't think this one qualifies.  The "N" is clearly upper case, even if that particular font uses a lower case-ish style.  

If the initial letters were the same size as the rest, then maybe it would fit.

I never thought of the Phillies "P" as lower-case, but clearly in the wordmark, it is. 

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived