North American Pro Soccer 2019

Gothamite

22 hours ago, Wade Heidt said:

Disappointed no Canadian owners/cities stepping up to try and be one of the MLS expansions teams.

I think cities like Edmonton and Ottawa have the potential to be successful MLS markets.

Doubt we're going to see any more Canadian MLS teams at this point. Now that we have CPL starting up, that's the future of pro-soccer in Canada in the non-mls markets. CSA and Concacaf are unlikely to sanction any more teams into another countries top division. 

Edit: I'm not saying this is good or bad, I think it's just the way it is. There was a big stink about those governing bodies more or less trying to force Ottawa Fury to join the CPL for this coming season. I expect they will eventually anyways. Need to get a team in Quebec somewhere as well, and a team on mainland BC. 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking forward to the Timbers match in Cincinnati this Sunday. Can't wait to see the environment even though I'll be watching on tv and not there live. Timbers continue their 12 match road schedule to start the season as Providence Park is being expanded.

5 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

This is where i get confused, theyre building an 18k seater in lauderdale and a 20-30k seater in Miami?

Whats the point?  Build one and play there.  A USL squad so close to an MLS squad doesnt need 18k.

They can scarcely get one stadium going for what seems like the past 10 years, and now they're going to do 2 in 4? What an absolute waste of money. They say that they won't just rent a university's venue because it doesn't feel like the right "fit," but that seems like very shaky logic. The excitement of a new club should be able to carry them through a couple years in a less-than-ideal venue. It made no difference for Atlanta, which got stuck at Georgia Tech's rather small stadium for most of the first year. I'd really like this franchise to be a success, but this is very bizarre. 

PJU85JF.png

I honestly think they want to build Ft. Lauderdale a stadium on the old Lockhart site because that might be their only stadium. And one say in the future after years of never getting the new stadium built, just quietly stay there permanently. 

50 minutes ago, Wings said:

Looking forward to the Timbers match in Cincinnati this Sunday. Can't wait to see the environment even though I'll be watching on tv and not there live. Timbers continue their 12 match road schedule to start the season as Providence Park is being expanded.

Which is such a gift. DC made the playoffs on the back of finishing the back end of their season at Audi Field. As a Sounders fan, I'm scared of late-season Timbers.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

51 minutes ago, Sykotyk said:

I honestly think they want to build Ft. Lauderdale a stadium on the old Lockhart site because that might be their only stadium. And one say in the future after years of never getting the new stadium built, just quietly stay there permanently. 

Ah, yes, the “we’ll only be at Yankee Stadium for two years” model.

ExJworW.png

27 minutes ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Ah, yes, the “we’ll only be at Yankee Stadium for two years” model.

The thing with Miami is that Beckham was basically guaranteed a team long before the league became profitable expanding. And the longer they go without starting the more valuable that unrealized team becomes. Honestly, Ft. Lauderdale isn't a bad spot. It's just not what Beckham wanted. 

As for NYCFC, the league just wanted the Yankees and Manchester City to invest. This is like a Revolution situation. The owner controls the venue so being in a horrible soccer venue isn't an issue. 

3 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Is there any chance at all that Miami never sees the light of day in MLS?

MLS will probably green light Ft. Lauderdale and the they'll try to press some flesh to get the team inside Miami proper. They've been willing to bend over backwards for owners when they think it will help them out in the long term so I can't see them pulling a team from the most recognizable name they have. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

11 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

Are we sure that Inter Miami is a future MLS franchise and not just a maker of sweet lids?

It might be the next Terry Gillium movie. At this rate his original Don Quixote movie will premiere before Inter Miami.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I'll always be convinced that the MLS group in Miami was profoundly unlucky to try to get rolling right when people were getting woke to how much the Marlins screwed the city. Can't imagine a worse time to try to work out a stadium deal than in the wake of that mess. 

The hope of Inter Miami becoming successful is going to depend heavily on the demographics of Miami-Dade, and Ft. Lauderdale isn't exactly Miami part 2 in that regard. This isn't going to be an "if you build it, they will come" situation. 

PJU85JF.png

With the Chicago draw and now this loss to Montreal, it looks like the Orlando City we all know and love is back and at it again.

Hey Dwyer, you apparently ”score when you want!”, so please want to score more. We know you got one today, but was it so hard to not want two (or even three) more?

ExJworW.png

Welcome to MLS Cincinnati! Nippert Stadium looks awesome and people have shown up! It's awesome. The pitch quality seems to be garbage for some reason, but the brick aesthetic of the football stadium kind of makes up for it; I hope the new FCC stadium keeps that look.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

On 3/16/2019 at 5:15 PM, Magic Dynasty said:

With the Chicago draw and now this loss to Montreal, it looks like the Orlando City we all know and love is back and at it again.

Hey Dwyer, you apparently ”score when you want!”, so please want to score more. We know you got one today, but was it so hard to not want two (or even three) more?

Has there ever been a KC scorer leave and still play at as high a level? Since I started following them they always get a few good years out of guys and then they leave and are seemingly never the same. Bunbury, Sapong, Kamara, and now Dwyer. We could almost include Zusi in that group even though he's still there just because he's moved back into the defense even though SKC uses defenders in the offense a lot.

EDIT: On the one hand I'm impressed by the Cincy crowd, but on the other hand I'm unimpressed. They were pulling in full houses for USL games, there should be people standing on top of the stadium for MLS. Very disappointing.

Portland might be bad this year. I know they're starting off with what, 12 games on the road? So they'll have a chance to make it up like DCU did last season, but they don't look good at all right now.

Amazing home opener for FC Cincinnati. Great first MLS win and a clean sheet to boot. @DG_Now is right. That turf looked awful though. Its a new surface that is supposed to be up to par with the other turf surfaces in the league but it looked like there was way to much fill. Granted it was the first game played on it so hopefully they will correct it when Philly comes to town in a couple weeks.

Signature intentionally left blank

7 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

EDIT: On the one hand I'm impressed by the Cincy crowd, but on the other hand I'm unimpressed. They were pulling in full houses for USL games, there should be people standing on top of the stadium for MLS. Very disappointing.

They didn't have the entire seating open for USL games. Tarped over the corners up high. Only a few friendlies and Open Cup games did they open it up all the way. This was the largest crowd they can fit this season.  

Incredible game! Very UnCincinnati to have a sporting event with so much buzz that actually rises to the occasion and exceeds expectations. I think that's why you saw so much exuberance in the stands. People were actually rewarded for buying a sports ticket and any holdouts still left in this city were won over yesterday. This team is different. If you would've told me 3 years ago that Cincinnati would A. be in MLS and B. selling out Nippert Stadium for games I would've bet all my money against it. 

The Bengals and Reds should be taking notes and be worried. 

15 hours ago, DG_Now said:

Welcome to MLS Cincinnati! Nippert Stadium looks awesome and people have shown up! It's awesome. The pitch quality seems to be garbage for some reason, but the brick aesthetic of the football stadium kind of makes up for it; I hope the new FCC stadium keeps that look.

This is a brand new surface and they said the turf would take a few months to even out, but it did look really bad. I hope nobody gets injured on it before that happens.

Nippert Stadium rules. It's really too bad they can't just play there forever because it's a great venue and kind of already perfect for soccer. I went to see Ohio U play there last fall and it's awesome how it's smashed right into the heart of campus. Aside from the big modern pressbox and suites it feels like you've gone back in time. I hope that when they move to the new stadium it doesn't upset whatever ingredient in this lightning-in-a-bottle cocktail is making this magic work. 

The new stadium as far as I know will be a giant spaceship dropped into OTR. It'll look cool, but it won't match the neighborhood at all . 

14 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

I can't tell if you're joking. You expected them to have more people in the stadium than tickets sold? 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived