North American Pro Soccer 2019

Gothamite

Atlanta seems to be having the same troubles that Toronto FC had in their title defense last season. Atlanta's currently last place in the East. There's plenty of time to recover, but they look bad so far.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw the highlights of the rainy Columbus/Atlanta game on the MLS youtube channel. Ref blew the final whistle right at the 90:00 mark. No stoppage time. All the players from both teams immediately ran to the locker rooms. One of those things that's probably only funny to me.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

26 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

Saw the highlights of the rainy Columbus/Atlanta game on the MLS youtube channel. Ref blew the final whistle right at the 90:00 mark. No stoppage time. All the players from both teams immediately ran to the locker rooms. One of those things that's probably only funny to me.

"All right everyone, let's GTFO." It's the right call.

I was at a Sounders game last year Seattle won 5-0 over LA Galaxy. They definitely scored in the second half, but referee Mark Geiger called it right at 90. And bless him for doing so.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

8 hours ago, Dilbert said:

Meanwhile Cincinnati was a constant downpour and we had 3 minutes of stoppage time. The nearly 26,000 were soaked.

Did Cincy get lightening? Apparently Atlanta players and coaches wanted to postpone the match but Columbus wanted to keep going. The MLS changed their rules 2 years ago. They couldn't just abandon the game, hey had to play 90 minutes. Previously it could be abandoned after 75 minutes and Columbus awarded the win. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

We didnt have lightning it was about 40 miles south of us. At times though it was raining sideways as our announcers said. The field didnt look too bad as its turf and has good drainage. We did have the wind pick up in the second half and about a 15 degree temperature drop during the match.

Signature intentionally left blank

Looked :censored:ing miserable on Saturday night and a friend of mine who was at the game confirmed. Twas not the finest night to be outside. Thank god it wasn't like that for the first home game. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Inter Milan and MLS look to be in a trademark battle.

Historic Serie A soccer club Inter Milan filed a trademark application to register the work mark “INTER” for use in a variety of classes, including those that cover everything from soccer balls to pet feeding and drinking bowls. MLS, which is a single-entity entity wherein each team is owned by the league while also being operated by investor-operators, has decided to file a trademark opposition against Inter Milan’s application.

MLS’ position is that the use of “INTER” is merely descriptive of Inter Milan and its goods and services, relying on the grounds laid by examining attorneys. The term “INTER” is short for “international” and “INTER” is commonly used to describe soccer teams, states the opposition.

“Because of the widespread use of the term ‘INTER’ in soccer, the relevant consumers do not associate the term ‘INTER’ with one soccer team; ‘INTER’ by itself is not a source indicator in connection with goods and services associated with soccer,” states the opposition filing. “‘INTER’ has not become distinctive as used on or in connection with the applicant’s goods and services in the United States.”

Ultimately, the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board will need to determine whether any one soccer team can claim exclusive rights to the term “INTER,” which is effectively the victory Inter Milan would achieve should its mark be registered. The arguments made by MLS are convincing, since so many teams around the world use the “INTER” phrase within their full names and some have even disclaimed the word from their trademark registrations in the past as being inherently descriptive.

“MLS will be damaged by the registration sought by Applicant because such a registration would prevent registration of the term ‘INTER’ with other wording upon a showing of acquired distinctiveness in connection with a soccer team,” states the opposition.

It serves as a major battle between an iconic soccer franchise and a very up-and-coming soccer league. I believe that the MLS is the favorite to prevail if this opposition makes its way to a final adjudication.

LAFC/DC United will be on national Fox this weekend following Bayern Munich vs. Borussia Dortmund.

The only downside is the game is in DC; Audi Field is great, but the atmosphere at Banc of California is probably the best in the league right now.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

6 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Just tell Beckham to go fuçk himself and cancel the expansion. I know that they can’t do that, but it’d be so satisfying.

Or tell him to move his team to Sacramento. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Chicago City FC is a really stupid name, but worth it if the fire can actually get out of the worst stadium situation in MLS.

1 minute ago, DG_Now said:

Chicago City FC is a really stupid name, but worth it if the fire can actually get out of the worst stadium situation in MLS.

I could definitely see backlash against dropping the Fire name because of the importance of who & what it represents. 

Glad they are getting out of Bridgeview but wish they were able to get the Sting name. In tens years time this league is gonna be nothing but Uniteds, Citys, SCs and FCs.

2 minutes ago, Wings said:

I could definitely see backlash against dropping the Fire name because of the importance of who & what it represents. 

If I could remember right from a while back part of the deal the team made with Bridgeview lease was if they were to move and play anywhere else they couldnt use the Fire name. It stays with any team that uses Bridgeview.

8 minutes ago, Dilbert said:

If I could remember right from a while back part of the deal the team made with Bridgeview lease was if they were to move and play anywhere else they couldnt use the Fire name. It stays with any team that uses Bridgeview.

I'm sure the team and MLS could force the issue though. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived