NFL changes 2019

FightingGoldenDevil

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, KRZYBDGRZ said:

It just needs a lighter brown, and some white.

7 hours ago, 8BW14 said:

spacer.png

If it ain’t broke...

It doesn't need any white. White numbers at the most, but all that white in the sleeve stripes is just ugly and pointless. The orange and brown together itself is gorgeous, just like the sleeves on the white version of this.

The brown face mask is solid too. The white face mask is just plain and boring. Gray masks only need to appear in throwbacks.

1 hour ago, daveindc said:

It doesn't need any white. White numbers at the most, but all that white in the sleeve stripes is just ugly and pointless. The orange and brown together itself is gorgeous, just like the sleeves on the white version of this.

The brown face mask is solid too. The white face mask is just plain and boring. Gray masks only need to appear in throwbacks.

Except it does. The only thing separating the brown and orange is saturation. When the two are together, you generally get a blurry, nasty mess. Once again, the reason the color rush set is so beloved is that it doesn't have the awful pants stripe wordmark and gaudy drop shadow. The lesser of two evils is still evil.

White is a very necessary part of their color scheme, but smaller doses of it (e.g., thinner white stripes compared to the orange) would be better. 

If you want to do the "uber-clean" gimmick (and yes, it is a gimmick/fad that's a reaction to the over-designed aesthetic of a few years ago), brown/white would be the way to go. I love how we were raving about how a successful Jags team would earn their dull set universal acclaim, only to see them implode the following season. Funny how that works. 

59 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Except it does. The only thing separating the brown and orange is saturation. When the two are together, you generally get a blurry, nasty mess. Once again, the reason the color rush set is so beloved is that it doesn't have the awful pants stripe wordmark and gaudy drop shadow. The lesser of two evils is still evil.

White is a very necessary part of their color scheme, but smaller doses of it (e.g., thinner white stripes compared to the orange) would be better. 

If you want to do the "uber-clean" gimmick (and yes, it is a gimmick/fad that's a reaction to the over-designed aesthetic of a few years ago), brown/white would be the way to go. I love how we were raving about how a successful Jags team would earn their dull set universal acclaim, only to see them implode the following season. Funny how that works. 

So what you're saying is all these stripes here are a "blurry, nasty mess"?

PITTSBURGH - OCTOBER 17:  Colt McCoy #12 of the Cleveland Browns hands the ball off to Peyton Hillis #40 during the game against the Pittsburgh Steelers on October 17, 2010 at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.  (Photo by Jared Wickerham/Getty Image

Cleveland Browns v Jacksonville Jaguars : News Photo

I don't buy that. I don't look at those stripes and say "Man, they really need to throw some white stripes in there."  I don't look at the brown mask and say it needs to be white. Even the brown and orange are together on the helmet. Do you want to change that too?

The Browns' Color Rush is beloved because it's simple and smooth. The way the orange pops off the brown is gorgeous. Throwing white in there where it's not needed just takes away from it. Like I said, I would only go with white numbers.

18 minutes ago, daveindc said:

PITTSBURGH - OCTOBER 17:  Colt McCoy #12 of the Cleveland Browns hands the ball off to Peyton Hillis #40 during the game against the Pittsburgh Steelers on October 17, 2010 at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.  (Photo by Jared Wickerham/Getty Image

I don't buy that. I don't look at those stripes and say "Man, they really need to throw some white stripes in there."  I don't look at the brown mask and say it needs to be white. Even the brown and orange are together on the helmet. Do you want to change that too?

The Browns' Color Rush is beloved because it's simple and smooth. The way the orange pops off the brown is gorgeous. Throwing white in there where it's not needed just takes away from it. Like I said, I would only go with white numbers.

Uses a white jersey as an example

But in all seriousness, the white is very crucial as @SFGiants58 said, if you look at the current home uniforms not the one without the white, the orange radiates off the brown violently, even on the current one without the white, the orange clashes so much with the brown. The white calms it all down. A whole set without white would be the worst mistake the browns could make. This isn’t a team like Los Angeles where blue and yellow compliment each other and contrast well enough to pull off a no white look. The orange and brown don’t mesh like that. They can look good in certain stripes yes. But orange numbers on a brown jersey? It’s ugly and it doesn’t work at all. 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

22 minutes ago, daveindc said:

The Browns' Color Rush is beloved because it's simple and smooth. 

The Browns’ Color Rush is beloved because it’s the least worst jersey they have right now.  

That doesn’t mean Cleveland fans actually prefer it to any other Browns uniform in history.

22 minutes ago, daveindc said:

(LEARN TO USE THE RESIZE IMAGE FUNCTION, NOBODY WANTS TO LOOK AT GINORMOUS IMAGE SPAM)

Bolded 1: Hardly. It's different because it's on a white background and because the orange isn't the current orange.

I'm game for any facemask color and I don't want the helmet stripe to change at all (remember, white stripe in between two brown ones). 

Bolded 2: This looks dingy and ugly. It needs white:

68511427-16b9-4531-928d-0cd3a10d7c05-USATSI_11287637.jpg?crop=3730,2098,x0,y19&width=3200&height=1680&fit=bounds

Also, a smaller stripe design (three thin white stripes with two big orange stripes in between them) would benefit it. Neutrals wouldn't take away from the design, but would add something to it.

This "clean" fad is exceptionally annoying, even more so than the over-designed fad.

25 minutes ago, daveindc said:

Show the brown jerseys that complimented these and you'll see how important white is to this color scheme. Orange numbers on brown jerseys are near impossible to see from distance when players are standing still, let alone once play starts. Even with the white up shadow of the primaries it's still difficult. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

15 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Bolded 1: Hardly. It's different because it's on a white background and because the orange isn't the current orange.

I'm game for any facemask color and I don't want the helmet stripe to change at all (remember, white stripe in between two brown ones). 

Bolded 2: This looks dingy and ugly. It needs white:

68511427-16b9-4531-928d-0cd3a10d7c05-USATSI_11287637.jpg?crop=3730,2098,x0,y19&width=3200&height=1680&fit=bounds

Also, a smaller stripe design (three thin white stripes with two big orange stripes in between them) would benefit it. Neutrals wouldn't take away from the design, but would add something to it.

This "clean" fad is exceptionally annoying, even more so than the over-designed fad.

White numbers, sure, but everything else is fine. The uniform on the left here is perfect:

browns_by_adam_hatfield_design_dd411xi-p

13 minutes ago, daveindc said:

browns_by_adam_hatfield_design_dd411xi-p

I disagree. These remind me of why I hate the Giants away jerseys. The Giants have blue everywhere except on that jersey and it looks like they just borrowed the Mississippi Rebels jerseys that were there when Eli played, minus the blue trim. The sleeves still need white, similar to how it's set on the orange jerseys. IT looks even more jarring on the white jerseys which need some orange on the sleeves.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

Uses a white jersey as an example

3 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

But the focus in those pics is on the interaction between the brown and orange in the stripes, which has no white in-between. What does the white jersey have to do with the stripes?

1 hour ago, BellaSpurs said:

Can the browns pull a rams and bring back a throwback full time? It’s not like the helmets any different besides the shade of orange

But it's the Browns' Color Rush that's popular, not the throwbacks like the Rams. It's the Color Rush Browns fans want the team to continue wearing. That's why we're talking about them in the first place.

4 hours ago, Gothamite said:

The Browns’ Color Rush is beloved because it’s the least worst jersey they have right now.  

That doesn’t mean Cleveland fans actually prefer it to any other Browns uniform in history.

As a Browns fans I can say browns fans love it because it's a great uniform. Full stop. 

Yes the current set sucks. But browns fans weren't exactly clamoring to keep the old set before the change either. And there's not a lot of nostalgia for the previous  unis either. If anything the 80s style gets the most nostalgia but only a select group of fans. And that certainly more remembering the winning teams than it was anything to do with uniform aesthetics. 

There's a reason EVERY team in the NFL uses white/gold/silver for their numbers on their colored jerseys.. it's the only thing that works.

Colored numbers on colored jerseys are 100% impractical.. they're miserable for coaches, broadcasters, athletic trainers, spotters, fans who follow more than just the ball, and anyone trying to break down film.. they're not functional, which defeats the purpose of them existing in the first place.

They're simply NOT great uniforms full stop.. they're trash.. they were designed to be worn once or twice a season as a gimmick.. Browns fans like them because they got excited for new uniforms a few years back, only to have their hopes shattered with overdesigned garbage, so the Color Rush uniforms were welcomed as a return to a simple, traditional look, not because they're actually decent uniforms.  Just better than the horrible uniforms they wear on a more regular basis..

Seeing those McCoy photos kind of makes me think white isn't necessary. I think with very minor changes (obviously the socks and facemask would need to be unified) this could just be the next Browns set. It would satisfy people who love the Color Rush, as well as those wanting a return to the traditional look:

spacer.png

3 hours ago, WavePunter said:

There's a reason EVERY team in the NFL uses white/gold/silver for their numbers on their colored jerseys.. it's the only thing that works.

Colored numbers on colored jerseys are 100% impractical.. they're miserable for coaches, broadcasters, athletic trainers, spotters, fans who follow more than just the ball, and anyone trying to break down film.. they're not functional, which defeats the purpose of them existing in the first place.

They're simply NOT great uniforms full stop.. they're trash.. they were designed to be worn once or twice a season as a gimmick.. Browns fans like them because they got excited for new uniforms a few years back, only to have their hopes shattered with overdesigned garbage, so the Color Rush uniforms were welcomed as a return to a simple, traditional look, not because they're actually decent uniforms.  Just better than the horrible uniforms they wear on a more regular basis..

Interesting you have your finger on the pulse of the fanbase. 

Maybe as an outsider, you don't like the uniforms. Hell, there's been talk of outside influence trying to do anything to even move away from brown and orange. Gray, wine, etc. 

Fans weren't happy with Holmgren's attempt at throwbacks. And certainly didn't like this latest set. The only positive was seeing that brown facemasks actually look better than the white or the grey. 

And yes, the color rush are simple. Adding a third color doesn't suddenly make them simpler. Fans like brown and orange. Whatever shade of which is the current (most would welcome a return to 80s and early 90s colors before the move). The color rush is exactly what most fans wanted out of a jersey. Brown and orange. 

Someone said numbers are only white, silver and yellow (not gold), but orange in the right shade is not much different. It is a highly contrasting color. 

If Raiders can have dull silver on black, orange on a dark brown is entirely acceptable. 

Archived