NFL changes 2019

FightingGoldenDevil

2 minutes ago, Gupti said:

The only way that they’d be having the same problems that the Rams has is if they planned on unveiling brand new uniforms within the next couple of years (thus not wanting to trigger the five year rule too soon). 

Which is an exciting thought, frankly.

What I mean is that it's like the Rams in that they can make a switch to an existing jersey in their set, but if they want to change the road jersey to match, that would be considered an actual redesign.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aesthetically, I prefer the navy to the powder, but the fans preferred the reverse and it's pretty much always a good idea to go with fan preference. Nice work Chargers. But please, continue going to hell.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

From the Chargers website in an article about the switch:

spacer.png

It looks like they could wear the yellow mask when on road (w/white) and using royal(?)/navy for the navy alt. I'm assuming Color Rush stays the same. But it could just be their overall helmet choices. 

1 hour ago, WBeltz said:

spacer.png

They will wear the yellow mask when on road (w/white) and using royal(?)/navy for the navy alt. I'm assuming Color Rush stays the same.

As nice as the gold mask looks over the light blue, I think it'll look out of place with the white and navy.  They should just get rid of the navy pants altogether.

2 hours ago, WBeltz said:

spacer.png

They will wear the yellow mask when on road (w/white) and using royal(?)/navy for the navy alt. I'm assuming Color Rush stays the same.

..Why don’t they swap out the navy pants for powder blue...? Please never wear that all navy look. The color rush is great, but all navy is gross.

16 minutes ago, Froob said:

..Why don’t they swap out the navy pants for powder blue...? Please never wear that all navy look. The color rush is great, but all navy is gross.

I'm guessing because the powder blue pants would look weird with the current white jersey? 

I really hope they don't try powder blue with navy pants. That would be a disaster.

Problem with the powder blues.everyone and their mother wants them. Great! Did you know the Chargers were one of the worst teams in the NFL while wearing the powder blues and they had a huge, huge drug problem? That would be like the Falcons going back to their early 70s uniforms when they were horrible because the fans wanted red. How about thee Steelers with white pants circa 60s and 71-71? Another horrible team. Would the Steelers go back to those? Powder blues should be burned. They represent a bad time in Chargers history (and I know, a good time as well). Ditch them.

Dammit, are the navy pants reallly still in the rotation? I was almost more excited about those potentially being gone than anything. They’ve got a good argument for my least favorite pair of pants in the league, honestly.

20 minutes ago, NYC Cosmos said:

Problem with the powder blues.everyone and their mother wants them. Great! Did you know the Chargers were one of the worst teams in the NFL while wearing the powder blues and they had a huge, huge drug problem? That would be like the Falcons going back to their early 70s uniforms when they were horrible because the fans wanted red. How about thee Steelers with white pants circa 60s and 71-71? Another horrible team. Would the Steelers go back to those? Powder blues should be burned. They represent a bad time in Chargers history (and I know, a good time as well). Ditch them.

Who cares?

29 minutes ago, NYC Cosmos said:

I'm gonna go burn all my Vikings jerseys then. Too many bad memories /s

S8eR5Rf.png

Q2XFfoc.jpg

10 minutes ago, Gupti said:

Dammit, are the navy pants reallly still in the rotation? I was almost more excited about those potentially being gone than anything. They’ve got a good argument for my least favorite pair of pants in the league, honestly.

Who cares?

Well, if I was a team owner, I would not want to g back to a uniform that represented a bad time in history. Hence I doubt the Steelers would ever consider white pants or the yellow shoulder/yoke they wore in the 60s. That's why.

2 minutes ago, NYC Cosmos said:

Well, if I was a team owner, I would not want to g back to a uniform that represented a bad time in history. Hence I doubt the Steelers would ever consider white pants or the yellow shoulder/yoke they wore in the 60s. That's why.

Well...the Steelers weren't scared of the white pants...

spacer.png

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

3 minutes ago, NYC Cosmos said:

I don't think it should be about how a team did under that aesthetic. Always dress your best. Wear a suit to your wedding even if you have bad memories while wearing a suit

S8eR5Rf.png

Q2XFfoc.jpg

1 hour ago, NYC Cosmos said:

All around absurd and non-sensical post..

I guess they do listen..

There’s perhaps no one better equipped to answer that question than Paul Lukas. The sports world’s foremost expert on all things uniform related, he’s authored the popular “Uni Watch” site and column for the past 20 years.

So, what does he think of the decision to designate the powders as the primary home uniform?

“Love it,” he said. “The classics are classic for a reason! (It’s a) unique color combo, great design. Was always one of the best designs — was never broke, should never have been ‘fixed.’”

This jives with what Lukas said years back when doing a deep-dive on the Bolts’ uniforms in general. 

“The Chargers get a lot of credit for the powder blue, which other teams do use,” Lukas explained. “For the Chargers, it is always called powder blue. It isn’t called baby blue, sky blue or Carolina blue, even though they are basically the same thing and other teams wear those colors…. Even though it may not be a unique color to the Chargers, the term seems to be unique to them. So for whatever reason, and maybe because it has been 50 years, but the term has been associated with the Chargers, and therefore seems like a stronger part of their identity. If other teams use it, well, they are just copying the Chargers or the Chargers got there first. It doesn’t resonate the same way (for other teams). When these other teams wear it like the Panthers or the Titans, nobody has ever said, ‘That’s one of the best uniforms ever.’ While with the Chargers, you always hear, ‘That’s one of the best uniforms ever.’”

In addition, the team will go full time with the gold facemask, wearing it whenever they don the powder, white or royal blue jersey. A true uniform aficionado, Lukas is actually more excited about the facemask change.

“Love it even more!” he said. “It goes really well with the shoulder bolts. Excellent decision.”

Another reason he’s a big fan of it is because the Chargers were pioneers when it comes to colored facemasks.

“The Chargers were the first team to wear a colored facemask, which is to say something other than grey or white,” Lukas also said back in 2015. “It was in 1974, and they wore a gold facemask with their blue helmet. That really ushered in a new era of helmet design because suddenly, the facemask was something that could be played around with as a secondary color or a complementary color. The helmet shell and decal with the logo didn’t just have to stand for themselves. They could play off the facemask, and you could integrate the facemask as part of the design…instead of having it be an add on that was just neutral. Now you see the Packers with a green facemask or the Patriots with a red face mask and so on. All of that started with the Chargers.”

https://www.chargers.com/news/why-everyone-loves-the-powder-blues

I don't like the away still being navy-dominant. Seeing the uniforms next to each other makes the powder blues look like they're still the alternate.

Just rebrand, while keeping powder blue primary.

Archived