2019 NFL Off-Season Thread

Kramerica Industries

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, AustinFomBoston said:

Is Goodell trying to lay the Groundwork to get a team in Canada again?

There's only one option in Toronto and yet public money is far from a lock and won't be as "abundant" as in the USA.

Not to get overtly political get a "mod edit", the Bills' lease has an opt-out in 2020 but the end of the lease basically coincides with the end of Andrew Cuomo's 3rd term as governor after the 2022 season. While NY has no term limits, the Bills are as much of a state issue as it is for Erie County.  A county whose population has declined in each of the last four censuses. 

5 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

NFL should NOT start before Labor Day, or it’d need a bye week on LD weekend.  That it rig the schedule so all the games are in land-locked places or where the population doesn’t migrate on that weekend. 

18 games is too much. I think 16 might even be too much, but we’re conditioned to the numbers that correspond to it (9-7, 8-8, 10-6, etc). 

I dont know the right number, but I’d assume that you could quantify how much each game contributes to injuries, so you could actually state the benefit of playing one or two fewer games. 

I mean the NFL has games around Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's right? I'd say those holidays require more traveling than Labor Day. 

Selfishly I'm just thinking of something to get football to start earlier. After the NHL and NBA finish, the summer has nothing but baseball until Sept. XFL would have been smart to start in May or June, but that's a whole other discussion.

3 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

I mean the NFL has games around Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's right? I'd say those holidays require more traveling than Labor Day. 

Selfishly I'm just thinking of something to get football to start earlier. After the NHL and NBA finish, the summer has nothing but baseball until Sept. XFL would have been smart to start in May or June, but that's a whole other discussion.

Thanksgiving travel works both directions. Labor Day only one. I’ve read estimates that phila- at least the center city area - loses 40% or more of its population during memorial and Labor Day weekend due to people’s shore houses in jersey or mountain cabins in the poconos. I don’t think that’s unique. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

Leave Labor Day for NCAA football and the US Open tennis.

While this cache story is from 2011, moving into 2019, NFL stadiums like Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Charlotte, Tampa, and eventually Inglewood will make more money from Labor Day NCAA games as opposed to hosting a general home game.

4 hours ago, Red Comet said:

Because Goodell is the mouthpiece for the owners and they have a new city to shake down now that this current spate of relocations is over. Buffalo is on the menu and they love their Bills. They'd agree to almost anything to save their team. Goodell's logic, anyway.

What would that new city be?  London? San Antonio? Toronto? make nice with St. Louis or San Diego?  There's really no clear cut relocation city now that LA has been filled. 

3 hours ago, dfwabel said:

While NY has no term limits, the Bills are as much of a state issue as it is for Erie County.  A county whose population has declined in each of the last four censuses. 

Not to brag, but the Census Bureau estimates we've gained 679 people since the 2010 census. 

23 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

I'd say go with 2 preseason games and 18 regular season games. Have week 1 be the last week of August.

The first and fourth preseason games always seem somewhat pointless. Only drawback is that a lot of guys are going to be cut without getting a proper opportunity. This is where the need for a secondary league AAF/XFL is important. 

I think you'll see the expected starters do in Week 2 what they do in Week 1 so that more of the bench gets a chance to be seen. The most hurt however would be those 3rd and 4th tier players that will only be seen on special teams and mop up duty because that new rookie they drafted number 1 might need more reps to understand the playbook. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

I shudder at the thought. He's a great guy, a good QB; but no way is worth the money that guys like Wentz and Wilson are getting.

I mean, a few years ago he was 1 Rodger BS Hail Mary from making the NFC Championship, and had a great run this past year. 

Not saying he deserves that kind of money, but he may be getting it sooner than you think. 

1 hour ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

I shudder at the thought. He's a great guy, a good QB; but no way is worth the money that guys like Wentz and Wilson are getting.

Is Wentz worth the money Wentz is getting?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

13 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

I think they're overvaluing him. It's easy to forget Foles was the one that guided them through the playoff the past 2 year (and winning the teams first Super Bowl in the process)

Outside of 1 MVP caliber season (that was cut short because of injury) Wentz really hasn't proven that much, plus he's coming off 2 bad injuries in back to back season (where he hadn't finished either of them)

22 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Talent wise I feel he obviously is it's just matter of him staying healthy. 

I also think the other QBs that have deals coming form that class in Goff and Dak are as well though I can see the argument against Dak, but I'm pretty sure he's getting one like that anyways. 

uig7aiht8jnpl1szbi57zzlsh.gif4jzjfvwxifvemelyh9xjbnyr4.gifefvfv5b5g1zgpsf56gb04lthx.gif594153172016.gif

Kershaw is GOD! Kershaw is LIFE! Kershaw is ALL!

I need to see a heck of a lot more out of Goff, especially under pressure, before I'm cool with not committing to another rookie once his deal is up.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

9 hours ago, DG_Now said:

Tough one.  It's a gamble, and one I wouldn't have made until after the season (he still had two seasons remaining on his original deal.)

I believe that he's an elite QB when he's healthy.  Top 5, probably top 3.  He showed flashes as a rookie that started right away, then was MVP through 13 games in '17 (and got them home-field, which helped Foles immensely), and then even though it seemed like he sucked last year, his numbers were really good.  He has more weapons right now than ever before, so this should be another great year... but who knows.

He's been injured every single season.  Ribs during preseason '16, knee '17, back '18, plus injuries in college.  That's why I'd have waited to see how this year went.  If he's great, then he gets even more than what he got.  If he's hurt again, then his value might be less - even if he becomes a FA (though we've seen how teams get dumb for guys like Sam Bradford who haven't had even close to as good a season as Wentz had two years ago.)

It's a gamble, but one they felt they had to make, and I'll give this front office (though they just lost their top talent evaluator) the benefit of the doubt.  They've earned it since bringing back the old GM after the Chip Kelly fiasco.  I do wish he'd tone it down with the jesus and god stuff.  Maybe he should ask his god why he keeps getting injured.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived