MLB Changes 2020

kimball

1 hour ago, TheOatsMustFlow said:

No, it was definitely Authentic. It was in with all of the other new authentic styles, priced at $300whatever+.

Was there any jerseys in the store that exemplified replica prices?   Or was it all in that range?  I might not be able to ever buy a baseball jersey again if that is going to be the price. 

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Dodgeryaqui8016 said:

Was there any jerseys in the store that exemplified replica prices?   Or was it all in that range?  I might not be able to ever buy a baseball jersey again if that is going to be the price. 

I presume Fanatics will offer a replica jersey along the lines of the breakaway jersey in the NHL.  Maybe not now, but i could see something in the next few months.

23 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Of course.  But there are different ways to make that money back. 

Just as an example, the Atlanta Falcons and Atlanta United have realized that they can make more profit on concessions by slashing the price.  People are more than making up for the lower price point by buying more at the concession stand.

mercedes-benz-stadium-bs9*750xx4928-2772

It was so successful that they did it again.

fb-pricedrops2019*750xx.jpg

So you can increase profits by jacking up the price and making more on a single transaction, or through volume sales at a lower price point.  MLB and Nike have clearly chosen the former path, and I'm not sure that's sustainable for either merchandise sales or the sport as a whole.

I know I'd buy more at the concession stand if the prices were cheaper.  At Marlins park, the new food is all around $14 for the main food (not including a drink).  They did introduce the "3o5" menu that has a few items like hot dogs and popcorn at lower prices, but they still have the other things at high prices.  That said, it's all much better than your typical ballpark food after the Jeter revamp of the park.

Both misleading and at the same time brilliant with the reduced concession prizes are that they're also in reduced sizes. So in the past I used to buy my kid one big pretzel for $6 and I'd split it with him, now I can buy him one smaller pretzel for $3 but if I want some I'd have to buy two $3 pretzels so in the end I'm still paying $6. 

It's great that we have cheaper price options but the smaller sizes mean we often end up spending the same. It's an illusion and it's brilliant.

24 minutes ago, axiom20xx said:

oh no...I was so excited to see the first Padres ST uniforms in the new colors 

What did they look like? Were they unveiled publicly and I missed it?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

6 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

I presume Fanatics will offer a replica jersey along the lines of the breakaway jersey in the NHL.  Maybe not now, but i could see something in the next few months.

I also wouldn't be shocked if there was no change from previous years replicas to this year. Fanatics owns Majestic, so I dont see them reinventing everything just because. Slapping their logo(or no logo, in the case of NHL breakaway) yes, changing it all nah.

I also dont know what the MLB contract with nike stipulates in regards to replica production rights.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

In this one if you swipe to the 2nd picture the two prospects on the left are wearing what looks like the front of a new Marlins cap, it's the same fish as last years ST/BP cap but there's a different design on the inside of it, almost like if the fish is made of broken glass? But based on that Phillies pic above could this be a Marlins logo inside of the fish shape? Such a weird design if so...

11 hours ago, TheOatsMustFlow said:

No, it was definitely Authentic. It was in with all of the other new authentic styles, priced at $300whatever+.

$300? For a just blank alternate?

Nike is gone insane, definitely.
(Meanwhile in Nike Headquarters..)

paid pay day GIF

It’s just a joke, but I’m now tired of many overpriced baseball jerseys.

FyVfBOy.png

Sc4Eo24.png

27 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

In this one if you swipe to the 2nd picture the two prospects on the left are wearing what looks like the front of a new Marlins cap, it's the same fish as last years ST/BP cap but there's a different design on the inside of it, almost like if the fish is made of broken glass? But based on that Phillies pic above could this be a Marlins logo inside of the fish shape? Such a weird design if so...

They look horribly made. Super high crown, bills that are tough to curve a little bit...ugh.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

6 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Which would be $38.78 today, taking in mind inflation, which is pretty close to the current Authentic Cap Price of $39.99. So basically, there wasn't a price change, just economics taking it's hold.

da0Lbhs.png

6 hours ago, Bmac said:

ST caps feature cap logos containing secondary logos within. For example, the crown logo within the KC on the cap for the Royals. New material as well, as seen above. Supposed to be available for retail in February.

Actually, to be more specific, it looks like it's a secondary logo on the outside with a primary logo or wordmark on the inside... based on the two leaks caught in this thread. 

Archived