NHL changes 2019-20

BJ Sands

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Morgan33 said:

The shoulder patch looks really unremarkable on it too.  Never should have gotten rid of the footprint.

Ech, disagree on that. I always found the footprint real cheesy. Plus it made no real sense after they retired Howler, since then it was just a random ape foot on a team that had no real ape connection. The C makes more sense now, since it's the state's logo in Avs colors; it doesn't rely on a retired mascot for context.

1 minute ago, TerrorDog13 said:

I thought the footprint gave some type of life to the name avalanche. The rounded "C" logo to me is cheesy and its very close to Calgary putting the province and country flags on their shoulders. From a distance some could say it looks like targets. 

The Avs putting the C on their shoulders makes a lot more sense than the Flames putting the Alberta flag on their shoulders. They are the Colorado Avalanche after all, and they also recolored the C, unlike the Alberta flag, which clashes terribly with the Flames' jerseys.

@noe38concepts (Instagram - Twitter)

spacer.png

14 minutes ago, TerrorDog13 said:

I thought the footprint gave some type of life to the name avalanche. The rounded "C" logo to me is cheesy and its very close to Calgary putting the province and country flags on their shoulders. From a distance some could say it looks like targets. 

It also has nothing to do with the team anymore, though. Howler, the mascot that logo was tied to, has been retired for like two decades at this point. They've moved away from that imagery, so the foot logo is essentially a relic of a mascot that isn't even a thing anymore. The C is a more state-focused icon, which doesn't have as much risk of becoming superannuated.

That, and having the State Flag C as the Avs' secondary is a nice callback to the Rockies, which helps tie the two Colorado-based NHL teams together in spirit.

4 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Ech, disagree on that. I always found the footprint real cheesy. Plus it made no real sense after they retired Howler, since then it was just a random ape foot on a team that had no real ape connection. The C makes more sense now, since it's the state's logo in Avs colors; it doesn't rely on a retired mascot for context.

The logo isn't a foot, it's a footprint.  That's why it's mostly silver as to mimic the sparkle of snow.  I think it's a whimsical and clever way of representing Colorado's topography. 

LwGkqyv.jpgI5SwNcv.png

The footprint certainly could belong to Howler but that was never specifically stated by the team.

3 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

That, and having the State Flag C as the Avs' secondary is a nice callback to the Rockies, which helps tie the two Colorado-based NHL teams together in spirit.

There's no need to connect those two teams, especially considering the Avalanche defeated the team the Rockies became to win their second Stanley Cup.

14 minutes ago, Morgan33 said:

The logo isn't a foot, it's a footprint.  That's why it's mostly silver as to mimic the sparkle of snow.  I think it's a whimsical and clever way of representing Colorado's topography. 

LwGkqyv.jpgI5SwNcv.png

Why is there hair on the foot if it's a print? 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I'm not convinced that it's a print, considering the team's mascot...was a big, hairy ape-like creature that would clearly have a foot pretty much exactly like the one in the logo. Seems more likely that it just being the foot of Howler, or just Bigfoot in general, was the intent rather than a footprint in the snow kinda deal.

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

Why is there hair on the foot if it's a print? 

Artistic license.  Without the added hair it would just resemble a human foot.  By the same token I could ask why an actual foot would be sparkly silver.

1 hour ago, Ridleylash said:

I'm not convinced that it's a print, considering the team's mascot...was a big, hairy ape-like creature that would clearly have a foot pretty much exactly like the one in the logo. Seems more likely that it just being the foot of Howler, or just Bigfoot in general, was the intent rather than a footprint in the snow kinda deal.

Well, I definitely remember reading somewhere that it was footprint and that's how it looks to me when I see it embroidered on the jersey itself.  The silver representing snow is backed up by how it's used on the main logo.

HJFhGA9.png

Moreover, they're the Avalanche.  Seems more likely they'd base a secondary logo off snow than a creature's foot.

9 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

It also has nothing to do with the team anymore, though. Howler, the mascot that logo was tied to, has been retired for like two decades at this point. They've moved away from that imagery, so the foot logo is essentially a relic of a mascot that isn't even a thing anymore. The C is a more state-focused icon, which doesn't have as much risk of becoming superannuated.

I'm not saying they should use the foot anymore, but at least it complimented the logo. The C emblem just looks bland and doesn't look like a supporting logo to the primary.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

3 minutes ago, Bayne said:

I'm not saying they should use the foot anymore, but at least it complimented the logo. The C emblem just looks bland and doesn't look like a supporting logo to the primary.

I mean, the Avs' logo is pretty outdated anyways, IMO; I'd be fine with replacing it with the Rockies fauxback logo full time.

13 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

It's not hair. It's the creases on the bottom of the foot, which transferred into the snow.

All the bushy lines around the foot are creases?

Also, crease lines on feet don’t transfer to snow prints. 

5 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

All the bushy lines around the foot are creases?

Also, crease lines on feet don’t transfer to snow prints. 

Ahh - I thought you meant on the bottom of the foot. I never thought of that jagged outline as hair - most creatures don't have that sort of hair hanging over the  edge of their feet. If it's a snowprint, then that stuff is just Artistic license 🙂

It's where I sit.

4 hours ago, Morgan33 said:

Artistic license.  Without the added hair it would just resemble a human foot.  By the same token I could ask why an actual foot would be sparkly silver.

“We used artistic license to make this footprint look more like the bottom of a Yeti foot”

We already had this conversation five years ago. 

47 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

“We used artistic license to make this footprint look more like the bottom of a Yeti foot”

We already had this conversation five years ago. 

Sorry - I wasn't in that conversation 😁

It's where I sit.

1 hour ago, Ridleylash said:

I mean, the Avs' logo is pretty outdated anyways, IMO; I'd be fine with replacing it with the Rockies fauxback logo full time.

I don’t think I’d go that far. Doing something that simplifies the current design to burgundy/slate blue/white, while also using a state flag-inspired logo on the shoulders would be best.

spacer.png

(Not this design, as it’s far too busy for me)

Heck, a simplified Stadium Series design might be an OK starting point.

spacer.png

You can even swap slate for powder!
spacer.png

Archived