NHL changes 2019-20

BJ Sands

On 7/6/2020 at 8:39 PM, Morgan33 said:

"We have one good uniform so lets not use it in the playoffs"

- The Carolina Hurricanes.

Their home uniform is the only half-decent uniform the Hurricanes have left. ( I'm talking about their main three jerseys, not the Whalers throwback.)

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Morgan33 said:

I just don't get Calgary.  They finally have contemporary versions of both 89' jerseys and still opt for the clownsuits

Perhaps this is the swan song for their home and away jerseys before changing to the retros. At least that's what I'm hoping for. I wonder if they tried to get permission to wear their throwbacks home and away for the playoffs.

49 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Perhaps this is the swan song for their home and away jerseys before changing to the retros. At least that's what I'm hoping for. I wonder if they tried to get permission to wear their throwbacks home and away for the playoffs.

That would be my suspicion - that they're waiting until next season to break them out full time. There's something about this awkward period that we're figuring out as we go that makes me think it wouldn't be a great time to unveil them as their new sets going forward. I'd hold off on it if I were in charge. But let's also keep in mind that this is the play-in round...it's not even playoffs yet, technically.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Something I've always wondered about the Flames current home and away jerseys: why do they include the Alberta flag and the Canadian flag as shoulder patches? Does anyone know why that's the case? 

2 hours ago, 1insaneguy said:

Something I've always wondered about the Flames current home and away jerseys: why do they include the Alberta flag and the Canadian flag as shoulder patches? Does anyone know why that's the case? 

Because teams often make bad design decisions and take forever to fix them. They thought they were showing off their provincial and national pride or something when in reality, it just looked contrived. 

2 hours ago, 1insaneguy said:

Because they were too lazy/uninspired to replace Blasty with a proper secondary logo.

On 8/3/2020 at 4:29 AM, 1insaneguy said:

The Flames are one of those teams that doesn't really need a shoulder patch, which I guess is part of the appeal of their throwback/thirds 

Yeah, shoulder patches for the sake of shoulder patches is dumb. I like how Detroit, Rangers, Calgary throwbacks, etc don't have them - because you don't need them. Teams who have a lot going on already absolutely don't need to include shoulder patches as well, but they all do it seems. The Canucks were the worst culprits when they had the Vancouver script, and it just added to the clutter. San Jose back in the early 2010s with all their numbers and pants logos and striping - of course they needed shoulder patches too. It's so dumb and gratuitous. Show some restraint. And especially don't have two different shoulder patches. I can't stand it.

On 8/2/2020 at 4:29 PM, 1insaneguy said:

The Flames are one of those teams that doesn't really need a shoulder patch, which I guess is part of the appeal of their throwback/thirds 

I dunno, I subscribe to the #BringBackBlasty campaign, myself. Calgary is a town known for rodeos and the Stampede, so a horse secondary works rather well for them.

1 hour ago, Ridleylash said:

I dunno, I subscribe to the #BringBackBlasty campaign, myself. Calgary is a town known for rodeos and the Stampede, so a horse secondary works rather well for them.

Jerseys never suffer from not having shoulder patches. Of course they can work very well, but they aren't necessary.

1 hour ago, Bmac said:

"Shoulder patches for the sake of shoulder patches" is how we end up with redundancy like this:

C3OevD3UkAElcoc.jpg

ENiHQYCX0AEk7BG.jpg

There is absolutely no reason to have the primary logo appear as the crest AND shoulder patches.

Those pictures are from...30 years ago...

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The shoulder logo from their "Calgary" alternates would have been an easy replacement for the flags.

NL4Np9y.png

Maybe an unpopular opinion but I think the Flames look better with black as one of their colours, though the retro away they brought back this season is gorgeous. The current home/away are an abomination but the black C is far superior than the white one.

4 hours ago, Cujo said:

thornton_050116.jpg

Oof.

Bonus: Same logo even appears on the helmet

The Sharks are the worst for this. Not to mention they have about 7 versions of their logo so of course they're going to justify at least one of them by using it as a shoulder patch even though it almost looks identical to their primary logo. 

On 8/4/2020 at 12:45 AM, Delicate Genius said:

The shoulder logo from their "Calgary" alternates would have been an easy replacement for the flags.

NL4Np9y.png

Maybe an unpopular opinion but I think the Flames look better with black as one of their colours, though the retro away they brought back this season is gorgeous. The current home/away are an abomination but the black C is far superior than the white one.

Adapt the 2003-07 uniforms to a modern template and replace Blasty with that patch and you've got the best look the Flames have ever had. The retros are overrated and the colors bleed together without black trim, the pedestal uniforms are awful and the Edge/Adidas jerseys are the worst they've ever looked.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

On 8/4/2020 at 3:45 AM, Delicate Genius said:

NL4Np9y.png

I don't think the Flames need black in their uniforms any more than the Kansas City Chiefs do, but if they insist on having black this logo should be on the shoulders. It actually manages to incorporate the major elements of the provincial flag into the team's overall brand, instead of just lazily slapping the flag itself on the jersey.

spacer.png

I feel it's only a matter of time before Blasty comes back as the team's secondary, honestly. It's by far the most popular of the secondary options the Flames have, and it really does make sense with Calgary's history with the Stampede. We already know they're making the logo more prominent anyways, putting it on the jersey just makes sense.

Archived