NHL changes 2019-20

BJ Sands

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once Calgary goes full retro, it won't even be a Top 5 home uniform in Canada.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

38 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

Gonna have to agree with this statement. It is a look that works for them, but saying top 10 in the whole league is the cause of some rose-tinted glasses. My opinion on the Canucks identity has gone down dramatically because of this thread. Worse part is that it isn’t due to the flaws being pointed out, but instead I connect the team to pages and pages of ongoing opinions and bickering now. 

52 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

Perhaps, but for now its better than Calgary's, Winnipeg's and Ottawa's IMO. I dont care that much for Edmonton's current homes either (too much bright orange) ...and Toronto, while a classic look, is still a bit drab to me compared to the crispness of the Canucks' blue and green. So Id say they're safely in the top 10 and probably top 4 in Canada. IMHO.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

19 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

It also has to do with the high amount of turnover in the front office. When Tom Anselmi was brought in as the President & CEO he seemed to be pushing them towards the =O=, putting it at centre ice, on the decal along the front plaza of the arena, and having it at the forefront of the website & other marketing material. This was seemingly dropped once he left the organization, and Aimee Deziel was brought in as the Chief Marketing Officer. She said they were assessing the current brand, and that we could expect a new look for the '20-'21 or '21-'22 season. She also left the front office this summer, so who knows if or when there will be any changes.

FWIW there's a poster on the Sens HFBoards that claims to have a reliable source within the organization, saying that the team will go back to a black jersey with a modified 2D centurion logo for next season. He claims it will look something along the lines of these (minus the heritage sweater):

spacer.png

I can't really attest to how reliable this person or his source is, but he's trusted on the board so I think it's worth noting. There has been a lot of turnover but I wouldn't suspect that the CMO leaving would push a redesign that's (supposedly) already in progress too far back.

It's a nice sweater, but I wouldn't put Vancouver's in the Top 10. It is amazing how much it's improved by removing the arched vancouver, like we've all been saying since it first debuted. Only took them 12 years to do something they should've done on day one. The new outline treatment on the shoulder patch is an improvement as well. 

The reason I wouldn't put it in the top ten is the logo still looks like it belongs on a different jersey. It's predominantly navy blue and white, with no green and minimal amounts of the royal blue that is the base color of the jersey.

Solution: 

spacer.png

PvO6ZWJ.png

^ If there was a way that logo could be configured where the blue and green don't touch, I'd be all for it.

3 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

Calgary's retros are overrated.  They need a striping configuration that matches and a little bit of black for contrast.  What they had from 2004-2007 is a vastly superior look even if it was a little black-heavy.

2 hours ago, TorinK92 said:

FWIW there's a poster on the Sens HFBoards that claims to have a reliable source within the organization, saying that the team will go back to a black jersey with a modified 2D centurion logo for next season. He claims it will look something along the lines of these (minus the heritage sweater):

spacer.png

I can't really attest to how reliable this person or his source is, but he's trusted on the board so I think it's worth noting. There has been a lot of turnover but I wouldn't suspect that the CMO leaving would push a redesign that's (supposedly) already in progress too far back.

This concept has been around for years, and is literally just a recoloured Tampa template, so I would take that claim with a BIG grain of salt.

The funny thing is that when the concept first started making the rounds I saw so many casual fans saying stuff like "yess, the original jerseys need to come back", even though these aren't the original templates. I get that people like us might have more of an eye for detail than the average sports fan, but how do you not remember that the old look had 2 thin red stripes high on the sleeves behind the numbers?

I'll be pumped about any change that makes black the primary home colour again, and the 2D logo is miles better than the current one, but this would be the laziest way to rebrand.

14 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

This concept has been around for years, and is literally just a recoloured Tampa template, so I would take that claim with a BIG grain of salt.

Yeah I should note that this concept is not exactly what the jersey is rumoured to look like, but just one of the closest comparables. The guy also said that if he had to pick a template that it most closely resembles, it would be Nashville's. He never actually saw the design either, just claims to have been given description of it.

The big takeaways were black primary and the 2D logo. I'll still believe it when I see it.

6 hours ago, Morgo said:

^ If there was a way that logo could be configured where the blue and green don't touch, I'd be all for it.

Calgary's retros are overrated.  They need a striping configuration that matches and a little bit of black for contrast.  What they had from 2004-2007 is a vastly superior look even if it was a little black-heavy.

I probably agree with this. I like their retros but I think after seeing them for a while I would be yearning for a bit of contrast in them.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

6 hours ago, Morgo said:

I can be pretty compulsive about maintaining the separation of two colors on a uniform if they don't touch anywhere else. However, I don'think there's an elegant way to do it in this logo. I think sometimes it's okay if the logo breaks the rules of the rest of the uniform. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

On 10/10/2019 at 12:15 PM, WSU151 said:

He's wearing two different versions in those photos. The awful version looks like a miscut. 

Anyway,

Stadium Series logo unveiled:

Umm... it looks way too busy for me.

I prefer the old text and logos. it's very bold and really fits the Stadium Series event.

4189__nhl_stadium_series-primary-2016.pn7125__nhl_stadium_series-primary-2016.pn5724__nhl_stadium_series-primary-2017.pn

FyVfBOy.png

Sc4Eo24.png

17 hours ago, Bayne said:

Top 10 home uniform in the league, just saying.

Best colours in the league ;).

3 hours ago, McCarthy said:

I can be pretty compulsive about maintaining the separation of two colors on a uniform if they don't touch anywhere else. However, I don'think there's an elegant way to do it in this logo. I think sometimes it's okay if the logo breaks the rules of the rest of the uniform. 

Perhaps you're right.  If the main crest was the only instance of blue and green touching it could result in a neat effect.  I'd love to see how your concept looks embroidered on the current jerseys.

11 hours ago, Morgo said:

YES! Thank you!

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Archived