NHL changes 2019-20

BJ Sands

On 10/6/2019 at 4:50 AM, SFGiants58 said:

Honestly, just change the name. It’s not like the team has ever won anything of value as the Canucks. Unlike the Angels, Padres, Brewers, Marlins, and Orioles, this wasn’t a “traditional name” worthy of promoting to the majors. 

6 hours ago, uniformity said:

The Canucks name has been around since 1947. Its as traditional as it gets for a non original six team.

The Canucks won 6 Lester Patrick Cup championships in their 25 years in the Pacific Coast/Western Hockey League, including their final two seasons prior to joining the NHL 

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are we still on about the Canucks name change? Jesus. The uniform discussion was menial enough, this is just insipid. 

The Canucks have one of the better nicknames in pro sport, and absolutely NOBODY, at least nobody with a modicum of interest in the team, wants it changed. You can talk about how its hard to make a lasting logo with the name, but changing it is just cutting off your nose to spite your face. That's it. That's the end of discussion on the name. There is zero benefit in changing it. You can talk about the logos some more (but at this point, why would you want to?), but stop with the name change talk.

I don't get how anyone can think these uniforms are bad.  The team had one of the better uniforms during the Edge rollout even with the script on the front. 

I like how much cleaner they look without it and I particularly like how the white Stick and Rink stands out on the blue homes.  The lack of green on the main crest doesn't bother me in the slightest because the stripes contain enough of the colour to balance the uniform.  The numbers don't have any green so it's not as if all three colours need to be present everywhere.  This is a serious, traditional and beautiful uniform.  The road whites aren't as good but that's the case for most teams anyways.

8AonYIY.jpg

I know people on here are tired of hearing about the Canucks but it is the first season of a uniform change so I think we should be able to comment on their new look without it turning into a Johnny Canuck vs Orca flame-war.

3 hours ago, Morgo said:

I don't get how anyone can think these uniforms are bad.  The team had one of the better uniforms during the Edge rollout even with the script on the front. 

I like how much cleaner they look without it and I particularly like how the white Stick and Rink stands out on the blue homes.  

I like the new Stick-in-Rink as well on the blue uniforms.  However, not as much on the white uniform as it just does not stand out.  They should have gone with this updated version with white stick on blue rink on the white jerseys.  Keeping with the tradition of how the logo was treated with the 1970s uniforms.  The rink is white when on a blue jersey and blue when on the white jersey.  

4 hours ago, Morgo said:

I like how much cleaner they look without it and I particularly like how the white Stick and Rink stands out on the blue homes.  The lack of green on the main crest doesn't bother me in the slightest because the stripes contain enough of the colour to balance the uniform.  The numbers don't have any green so it's not as if all three colours need to be present everywhere.  This is a serious, traditional and beautiful uniform.  The road whites aren't as good but that's the case for most teams anyways.

8AonYIY.jpg

I know people on here are tired of hearing about the Canucks but it is the first season of a uniform change so I think we should be able to comment on their new look without it turning into a Johnny Canuck vs Orca flame-war.

Things I hate about this uniform.

1. The collar

2. Uh, i think that's it.

Honestly? While it is an improvement taking away the Vancouver script, the old canucks jerseys also looked really nice.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

"We can't put out a new design, look at how much of the old one we still have to sell" is a philosophy that will carry Eugene Melnyk through until he no longer owns the Sens.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Weird because the NHL100 sweater has been on sale for about $30-40 on most sites for a couple months now. And there's been absolutely no word from the team about alternates this year until they came out onto the ice today, they usually market them fairly well due to them being more popular than their regular set.

Wonder if there was something in the works that they scrapped at the last minute.

I honestly don't see a problem with the Sens reusing the centennial jersey.  It's not a horrible jersey.  There are far crappier designs.

Melnyk is cheap, a bad owner, and apparently a bad gambler, but I think them reusing the jersey might have more to do with them not knowing what they are doing with the brand more than anything and everything is kinda on hold until they decide which direction they are going.  It was all speculation, but there was talk of a new logo and jersey a couple of years ago.

It also has to do with the high amount of turnover in the front office. When Tom Anselmi was brought in as the President & CEO he seemed to be pushing them towards the =O=, putting it at centre ice, on the decal along the front plaza of the arena, and having it at the forefront of the website & other marketing material. This was seemingly dropped once he left the organization, and Aimee Deziel was brought in as the Chief Marketing Officer. She said they were assessing the current brand, and that we could expect a new look for the '20-'21 or '21-'22 season. She also left the front office this summer, so who knows if or when there will be any changes.

The NHL100 set is worth building a set around. It’s a great look while being semi-traditional, semi-modern for a franchise like the *new* Sens. It keeps the barber pole look, but also has the slimmed down look of a modern 🔥🔥🔥 franchise for the kids...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

43 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

The NHL100 set is worth building a set around. It’s a great look while being semi-traditional, semi-modern for a franchise like the *new* Sens. It keeps the barber pole look, but also has the slimmed down look of a modern 🔥🔥🔥 franchise for the kids...

Eh. I'd like to see them incorporate the gold in lieu of the silver, and maybe go for a black base with red striping rather than the inverse. Much like I have zero qualms with the Oilers going to orange full time, nearly half the Canadian teams wear red, along with a third of the NHL. I have no qualms with the Senators stepping and being the black team. Especially when you consider they wore black during their best looking years.

14 hours ago, Morgo said:

I don't get how anyone can think these uniforms are bad.

I thought you were taking a break. 

So um...yeah

On 10/7/2019 at 2:14 PM, officeglenn said:

Enough is enough -- as a moderator, I'm asking everyone in this thread to drop the subject of the Canucks' identity for now. If anything new comes up in the near future, keep the discussion limited to the new information that comes to light. It's headache-inducing to read the same arguments over and over again, especially when it's clear no one's mind is going to be changed.

11 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

The Canucks have never won anything and can't pick a logo. Just fold the franchise.

nYDhWob.png

Let it be written that on this day in this place the M-XII hereby declares Still MIGHTY a Post of the Day winner extraordinary and plenipotentiary. Etc., and so forth.

The Majestic XII have spoken. 

BB52Big.jpg

11 hours ago, M4One said:

I honestly don't see a problem with the Sens reusing the centennial jersey.  It's not a horrible jersey.  There are far crappier designs.

Like their home and roads.  The level of incompetence shown by them and the Flames is astounding.  Two of the worst Edge designs and they actually took the time to convert them over to the Adizero template.

Archived