NHL changes 2019-20

BJ Sands

9 hours ago, ColeJ said:

Dastard.... You think the Flames retros look like O6 dress up?

When you list off the schemes that use black, you see to assume I'm anti-black in hockey. I'm not. I just think it isn't NEEDED. It was better before it was added.

The Canes and Lightning look better when they use it. The Flames don't. Easy as that. Black outlines aren't fundamentally bad. The Flames just look better without them, and they don't need them. Please don't misunderstand my argument.

They aren't on O6 team, they shouldn't necessarily be held to that sort of design. The Flyers can look great using black, and so can the Flames. Black in itself is not the issue, it's how the team keeps using it that tends to be the problem. They use it as a secondary color and reduce yellow to a trim instead of going vice-versa; keeping yellow the secondary and making black the tertiary trim color. Keep red/yellow/white the main colors and you still get that pop, but the black also levels it out with a nice little bit of contrast, and that gives it a feel that I'm personally very fond of.

Black is at the very worst a sidegrade for the Flames when it's done properly, not an objective downgrade for me. Some looks do benefit from having a cooler color to tie the whole thing together with some contrasting colors; and while the retros pop heavily on modern cameras, I'd argue that thematically and balance-wise, black makes just as much sense to be a part of the Calgary Flames' colors as red or yellow and looks just as good when it's kept to an accent trim.

Too much dulls the look, yes, but too little also feels like a bit too much color all at once and, at least for me, it can be pretty hard to read the NOB at a glance on the retros if I don't have my glasses on or they're not close up to me at a glance. Having black in the NOB helps solve that issue. The red body and yellow trim on the retros can tend to bleed together if you're taking a quick glance; which is why, while I like the retros, I'm not so much a fan of them as the main set. Adding a small bit of black trim to an otherwise red-dominant set would look fine for me.

They work as occasional jerseys worn as special events...but as a main set in 2020, I don't think they're quite as great as others seem to think. They look awesome, don't get me wrong, but that's awesome the same way that the St. Louis 90's jersey is; as an event jersey, something put out on the ice for special nights. As a full time look, I don't think it quite holds up as well. But this is, admittedly, my own opinion.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Leak: Nashville Predators 2020 Winter Classic Uniform

November 2, 2019 - 14:14 PM

The Nashville Predators uniform was leaked early this morning via a pre-emptive banner reveal in Downtown Nashville. Twitter user @mcgreevyben spotted the new look and snapped a pic. Set for its official unveiling later today, we see a white jersey […]

Read More...

It’s helped by the fact that it’s supposed to look like something from the past. If if weren’t for the Dixie Flyers homage giving it meaning it’d be kinda weird looking. 

22 hours ago, ColeJ said:

At the risk of this turning into another Canucks thing where we can't talk about it because we've already talked about it

Black is the new Canucks.

--

I'm basically on the fence. I like the Flames with black, especially their 2004-07 set. Or that third jersey they used a few years ago, which would have made a good starting point for a new uniform minus the wordmark. Both colour schemes are befitting of a team named the Flames for similar reasons. But I also think ditching black would set them apart from the abundance of red and black teams we already have in the NHL.

I'm too lazy to dig it up, but a while back I did a concept replacing the black of the 2004-07 set with maroon. If I have the time I might do another one with that idea in mind.

The Preds jersey is nice. Pretty much what we all expected save for it being white instead of yellow.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

1 hour ago, monkeypower said:

The P touching (or even going below?) the blue line is weird, considering there's room at the top and the L's don't touch.

The 'y' touches the line on at least some of the old Dixie Flyers jerseys (on others it does not).  That's probably what they were going for.

BOEjjci.jpg

4 hours ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

They aren't on O6 team

So because they aren't an O6 team they can't wear a traditionally striped sweater? That's all sorts of crazy. 

I'm with @ColeJ on this this one. Yeah, the Lightning and 'Canes specifically mimicked O6 teams when they dropped black. That's got NOTHING to do with the Flames' retro set though. 

That set, in no way, no mimics an O6 team's look. It's VERY disingenuous to claim that it's "O6 dress up" because it skews towards the traditional. That's not what that term means and I'm regretful I used it back in the day because of how it's been abused by people who just don't like any traditional identity. 

As for the Flames' set it and of itself?

4 hours ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

Black is at the very worst a sidegrade for the Flames when it's done properly, not an objective downgrade for me.

I'm glad you finally quantified it as just your opinion. 

In my opinion? Black is entirely unnecessary. There has been one Flames uniform that used black in a way that I thought worked, and they ruined it with a stupid podium waist stripe. Since then, black has been the main culprit in the muddying of the Flames' identity. 

Those Iginla sets everyone loves? Too much black on the red sweaters. The Edge look they've had since? An utter travesty. 

The retro look is clean. The retro look is bright and intense. Like a uniform for a team named after fire should be. And finally? The retro look is unique.

This league has a glut of primarily red and black teams as-is. Blackhawks, Senators, Devils, Hurricanes. You can make arguments for each of those sets being red and black, but the Flames? No. Nada. They don't have to be, so they shouldn't. 

4 hours ago, seasaltvanilla said:

I rather like that the P touches. It's the sort of imperfection that old-timey, hand-lettered jerseys would have.

Exactly. Plus moving the script up would optically off-centre it so it probably needs to be placed where it is.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

8 hours ago, monkeypower said:

cut.jpg

The P touching (or even going below?) the blue line is weird, considering there's room at the top and the L's don't touch.

Great, but NHL screw that and it should be Yellow v Green matchup not White v Green.

4r2eer.png

Dallas Stars Tease Winter Classic Uniform, Announce Reveal Date

November 3, 2019 - 15:48 PM

The Dallas Stars teased their 2020 Winter Classic jersey last night, just a few hours after their opponent for the game – the Nashville Predators – unveiled theirs. What we see in the teaser video, posted to their social media […]

Read More...

Archived