2019 NCAA Football Thread

Tracy Jordan

48 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

If #1, tOSU would also choose where they would prefer to play.

And if they have the choice, I think they'd still play OU/Utah in Atlanta since it is a drive on 71 to Cincinnati to I-75 as opposed to a flight

Maybe, but I've made that drive, and it sucks. I'm guessing most folks will fly where ever the game is.

For what it's worth, tOSU has been to the Fiesta Bowl more than any other bowl (other than the Rose, obviously).  In 8 appearances they are 5 and 3, which includes the 2002 National Championship, and the fans love it there. The last time they were there, I had friends headed to the game calling it "home away from home"... right before Clemson blasted the Buckeyes in 2016.

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

Clay Helton about to get millions in "parting gifts"

USC better make sure the replacement is signed before they hand him his Christmas jam of the month card and big money buyout. I actually hope it's Franklin that takes the job if the drop Helton. Mainly because he can recruit and Penn State is Ohio State's hardest game every year.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

7 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

USC better make sure the replacement is signed before they hand him his Christmas jam of the month card and big money buyout. I actually hope it's Franklin that takes the job if the drop Helton. Mainly because he can recruit and Penn State is Ohio State's hardest game every year.

Do they really have to "recruit"? Kedon Slovis was the #26 pro passer QB of his class and is the DEAL!

Remember, Kliff Kingsbury was to be their OC before taking the Cardinals gig.  They gots to retain Graham Harrell

On 12/1/2019 at 2:10 PM, dfwabel said:

Do they really have to "recruit"? Kedon Slovis was the #26 pro passer QB of his class and is the DEAL!

Remember, Kliff Kingsbury was to be their OC before taking the Cardinals gig.  They gots to retain Graham Harrell

If he's not there to recruit his coaches really need to be ready to. USC went through 4 QBs this year, and 3 in one game. Don't want to do that every year. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, KRZYBDGRZ said:

Why is Florida #7? Hopefully this will change for the playoff rank.

Probably bowl placement. I can see them moving up in front of wherever they deposit Alabama, but 7th is probably the furthest I can see them go if they aren't in consideration for the playoffs. I'd expect Oklajoma and Baylor to somehow move up in front of them and possibly even see Oklahoma in front of Georgia if the committee is trying to say that the Big 12 champ has a shot at making the playoffs if Georgia loses. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Chris Peterson out at Washington.

As an alum, that playoff season was exciting. Too bad he could never fly that high again.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

8 hours ago, KRZYBDGRZ said:

They have one of the best SOS's and SOR's in the country with their two losses coming to top 4 teams in games in which they were very competitive and were dealing with injuries to two future first round pass rushers -- they both missed the LSU game and Greenard played through a high-ankle sprain vs UGA and likely would've sat vs anybody else.

IUe6Hvh.png

On 12/2/2019 at 11:46 AM, KRZYBDGRZ said:

I guess you could argue Baylor should be at No. 7 instead (I wouldn't), but among their fellow 2-loss teams, play process of elimination and they have the clear best resume. Remember that Florida has a win over Auburn and their two losses are to top-four teams. Compare that to the others:

• Florida has the Auburn win that Alabama and Oregon don't
  • Wisconsin (Illinois) and Notre Dame (Michigan) have awful losses
  • Minnesota has a loss to that Wisconsin team; Penn State has a loss to that Minnesota team

I know people like to jump on how the SEC schools are the highest-ranked 1-, 2- and 3-loss teams, but each of them is a very fair ranking, IMO.

6fQjS3M.png

8 hours ago, crashcarson15 said:

I guess you could argue Baylor should be at No. 7 instead (I wouldn't), but among their fellow 2-loss teams, play process of elimination and they have the clear best resume. Remember that Florida has a win over Auburn and their two losses are to top-four teams. Compare that to the others:

• Florida has the Auburn win that Alabama and Oregon don't
  • Wisconsin (Illinois) and Notre Dame (Michigan) have awful losses
  • Minnesota has a loss to that Wisconsin team; Penn State has a loss to that Minnesota team

I know people like to jump on how the SEC schools are the highest-ranked 1-, 2- and 3-loss teams, but each of them is a very fair ranking, IMO.

Yeah, I'm biased but I think Florida's pretty fairly ranked.  Looks like they're heading to the Orange Bowl vs probably Virginia based on current projections since they jumped Penn State and possibly the Sugar Bowl if Georgia beats LSU.  Wisconsin slots into the Rose Bowl but we'll see if they drop after they probably lose to Ohio State again.

It's a minor miracle by Dan Mullen, though, considering the offensive line is barely even passable (they don't even try to establish the run anymore) and they've been dealt with a ton of key injuries.

Also, the Florida State coaching search looks to be close to a Tennessee-level coaching search but they've managed to keep everything secret.  It appears (and this is speculation) they've struck out on all of their top targets.  Pretty sure the president said they'd have it wrapped up by the end of the month.  Yesterday there was a ton of speculation that they'd reached an agreement with someone when they painted the field (presumably for a photo shoot) and set up a stage in the Champions Club (for the rumored announcement).  Shortly after that it came out that Matt Campbell is staying at ISU and the stage has since been taken down, with the announcement that nothing should be expected before the weekend.

Current speculation is that it will eventually be Mike Norvell of Memphis.

IUe6Hvh.png

10 hours ago, Wings said:

FCS school Jacksonville University is eliminating it's football program. They were a member of the non-scholarship Pioneer League. 

I'm older than Jacksonville football, so this doesn't really feel like a big loss. It's a small private school of about 4,200 that started a football program in a major city after the NFL arrived in the city. Maybe they thought it would get them back to relevancy like that time they were in the NCAA Basketball Championship back in 1970 when basketball was technically a sport. Maybe they realized that I'm only going to watch them give up 20+ point leads on ESPN+, like they did to Western Carolina recently, via basketball.

5. Utah, 6. Oklahoma, and 7. Baylor is why the CFP committee is bull :censored:.  They are 100% setting the Big XII winner up to jump Utah but there's no drama if Oklahoma beats Baylor and is already ahead of Utah heading into next week.

edit: 

IUe6Hvh.png

2 minutes ago, See Red said:

5. Utah, 6. Oklahoma, and 7. Baylor is why the CFP committee is bull :censored:.  They are 100% setting the Big XII winner up to jump Utah but there's no drama if Oklahoma beats Baylor and is already ahead of Utah heading into next week.

Wrestling stopped taking cues from real sports and now real sports take cues from wrestling.

10 hours ago, See Red said:

Since OU's athletic director is on the committee, we've already started hearing the word "résumé" used a lot by Oregon AD and committee chair.

From the post-show media call (italics by me):

Q. What specifically is the difference right now in the minds of the committee between Utah and Oklahoma?
ROB MULLENS: We spent considerable time on it, more time than anywhere else on the board. There was plenty of debate.

Obviously when you look at Oklahoma's résumé , they have the win against the No. 7 team on the road, without a key wide receiver. They also beat Oklahoma State.

When we look at Utah, we see a season-long balance of very consistent play on both sides of the ball. Very dominant wins. Their only loss is on a Friday night on the road at a No. 22 ranked team when a key player on offense missed the majority of the game.

Q. Those were all bullet points. What factors from that that has Utah still one spot ahead?
ROB MULLENS: That's exactly the discussion. Those are the factors. You just line them up, then we put a vote on what members see, how they feel those teams line up.

Q. Were there any revotes between the Utah and Oklahoma debate?
ROB MULLENS: I'm trying to think. We voted yesterday. Spent considerable time on it. Revisited it again today. I don't think we had a revote. I think we spent considerable time discussing it again, but I don't think we revoted.

Q. What in particular did the debate surround?
ROB MULLENS: Just what we've talked about here: looking at their complete résumés.

Obviously Oklahoma has the win over Baylor and Oklahoma State.

When you watch Utah, very balanced, very consistent performance. They've dominated the majority of their schedule. Top two or three defense. Experienced quarterback. Only loss on the road without a key offensive player.

Q. How much does the stretch run factor in? How much does that weigh? I know you look at everything, but does that stretch run, the final three, four games, does that weigh more in at the end? Is it hard to ignore?
ROB MULLENS: I wouldn't say it gets any more weight. It depends on who you're playing, how you're performing. We look at the whole résumé .

Of course, we're watching the games down the stretch. It does matter who and how.

35 minutes ago, Wings said:

I think Oregon wins this sending the Big 12 winner to the playoff, unless Georgia beats LSU or chaos reigns in the ACC & Big Ten. 

I think the Buckeyes are safe either way. Even if Oklahoma and Georgia win, Ohio State's loss is much better than Oklahoma's. It would affect their matchup, sure, but I don't think there's much to worry about there.

spacer.png

Archived