2019 NCAA Football Thread

Tracy Jordan

20 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Wha...THAT's Gerry Bohanon?

His name to look ratio is more confusing than his throwing motion.

Now you know how I felt the first time I saw Gardner Minshew...

14 hours ago, dfwabel said:

That's the problem.  He will get millions regardless of his success or failure.

FSU is a job with a clear talent pool, but FSU is a bad job because of management and the boosters who still think they are management.

Let me put everyone up on game about this.  Simply put, the boosters are basically the only thing propping that program up right now. Florida State doesn't get very much outside funds, so it's a ginormous catch-22 situation--this by the way is why FSU also doesn't have all the "top-notch facilities" like other programs do (say, like, LSU's locker room--which by the way is one of the main reasons Jimbo dipped out on them). So basically, no boosters = no program.

The dysfunction is made worse by a near-clueless administration head, chiefly the university president who's also a career politician, and an AD with the aptitude of a cashew. Oh by the way, neither had experience in their respective roles prior to getting their current jobs. That said, they're really in a sucky situation knowing that they need the boosters' money or else, and as some of us down south folk say, "money talks, bull💩 walks"--and right now the entire program is running a country mile.

All of that is largely why this HCing search has become the clown show that it has--along with a healthy dose of ill-placed hubris. No one coach is going to suddenly solve this mess, and even should we turn things around on the field, that still won't solve the dysfunction on the administrative side; it'll just provide a nice veneer (much like the facade on Doak Campbell Stadium which also houses, or at least used to house, the administrative offices as well).

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

I'm also trying to start a bandwagon where we don't stop the clock after every incompletion. Who wants on?!

I'll gladly get onboard, though with this caveat: Let the clock stop after 1st downs in the final two minutes of the first half and the final five minutes of the game.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

10 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

I'm also trying to start a bandwagon where we don't stop the clock after every incompletion. Who wants on?!

No, because the ball has to go back to the LoS, players need to run back to the huddle ect, takes extra time when trying to set up the play. That rule is fine.

3 minutes ago, dont care said:

No, because the ball has to go back to the LoS, players need to run back to the huddle ect, takes extra time when trying to set up the play. That rule is fine.

The same could be said for a big play (run or pass) in general. That's why there's 40 seconds now. I'm dying on this hill, dammit!

3 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

The same could be said for a big run play. That's why there's 40 seconds now. I'm dying on this hill, dammit!

But typically the guys are following the runner still during the play. A few weeks ago you had guys on the chiefs racing eachother as they were running to the goal line. On an incomplete pass guys potentially have to get up from being hit or tripping and then having to run back to the huddle 50-60 yards away.

Honestly, I'm just so relieved that Bama is nowhere to be seen in the playoff this year. About damn time. And they even have 4 schools from 4 different conferences, like in any other level of college football. (I mean, even the CIS does this.)

Given the schools in contention, I guess I'll root for LSU. 

21 hours ago, Bucfan56 said:

He was great at Memphis and was probably the best coordinator ASU has had in a LONG time, so that’s actually a really good hire. Not sure how that’ll work out with their program, though. 

Either way, I wish him the best. 

Mike gets to face Sparky in his first game. That's Grrrreat!!!!

Two things about the bowl selections which intrigued me:

1. The Camellia, Gasparilla, Hawaii, Texas and Armed Forces bowls are all between former conference-mates.

2. The Cure Bowl selected Liberty...I find that ironic for reasons which board rules prohibit me from discussing here.

bYhYmxh.png

41 minutes ago, MBurmy said:

1. The Camellia, Gasparilla, Hawaii, and Armed Forces bowls are all between former conference-mates.

2. The Cure Bowl selected Liberty...I find that ironic for reasons which board rules prohibit me from discussing here.

I'm really glad Arkansas State isn't playing Liberty. It would have been a nice story for Blake Anderson and all that, but also Liberty can go die in a hole. Plus Hugh being a former A-State coach would have been annoying. That guy can suck it. I hope Georgia Southern routs them and never throws the football.

More hilarious is that Arkansas got an O-line coach to be their head coach. I'm assuming it's because Drink chose Mizzou over them, which is hilarious. I love college football.

1 hour ago, Red Wolf said:

I'm really glad Arkansas State isn't playing Liberty. It would have been a nice story for Blake Anderson and all that, but also Liberty can go die in a hole. Plus Hugh being a former A-State coach would have been annoying. That guy can suck it. I hope Georgia Southern routs them and never throws the football.

More hilarious is that Arkansas got an O-line coach to be their head coach. I'm assuming it's because Drink chose Mizzou over them, which is hilarious. I love college football.

LSU got a defensive line coach as their head coach.  Granted, Coach O had head coaching experience so I guess it's not the same at all.  I'm 100% for this hire.  He's easily one of the best offensive line coaches in college football and now he's not at Georgia anymore.

On another note, Florida at #9 is ridiculous.

IUe6Hvh.png

29 minutes ago, See Red said:

LSU got a defensive line coach as their head coach.  Granted, Coach O had head coaching experience so I guess it's not the same at all.  I'm 100% for this hire.  He's easily one of the best offensive line coaches in college football and now he's not at Georgia anymore.

On another note, Florida at #9 is ridiculous.

1. Nobody thought Coach O was a  good hire, but damn he's proven us wrong.

2. Don't take my joy away.

1 minute ago, Red Wolf said:

1. Nobody thought Coach O was a  good hire, but damn he's proven us wrong.

2. Don't take my joy away.

Yeah, I sure as hell didn't.  Like I said, he at least had experience as a head coach and should have been hired by USC when they fired Kiffin anyway, so it's not at all the same as Arkansas hiring what's his name.  But damn, I'm all for it.

IUe6Hvh.png

It's odd not seeing Alabama in the New Year's Six. Refreshing, but still odd. If they lose the Citrus Bowl, does that still make Michigan's season a complete disappointment? I know they lost to OSU again and finished with three losses, but it's still Nick Saban and Alabama... Tua or not.

16 hours ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

It's odd not seeing Alabama in the New Year's Six. Refreshing, but still odd. If they lose the Citrus Bowl, does that still make Michigan's season a complete disappointment? I know they lost to OSU again and finished with three losses, but it's still Nick Saban and Alabama... Tua or not.

Only if they lose as badly as they did to Florida last year. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

19 hours ago, MBurmy said:

1. The Camellia, Gasparilla, Hawaii, Texas and Armed Forces bowls are all between former conference-mates.

1. It's kind of fun to see old conference foes meeting each other in bowl games. It adds a little flavor to what are usually boring games.

2. It's not so much a political thing as it is that Liberty had a two year deal with the Cure Bowl to pick them if need be. The Flames will be starting a new deal next season with the ESPN created bowl games (that includes the new one in Myrtle Beach, SC).

Archived