2019-20 NBA Thread of Threads

buzzcut

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tuesday's game was canceled, and the next LAC game is Monday; why isn't Kawhi playing tonight?

Clippers are going to lose to the Kings, and it's a game they might want back if they end up falling behind the Jazz and Nuggets.

I don't get it.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

9 hours ago, dfwabel said:

This year's All-Star Game will use a modified "Elam Ending", a target score to be determined after 3 quarter, like summertime TBT uses.  The leading team, or either team if game is tied, will have to score 24 points to win. Yep, 24 is to honor Kobe. 

Nonsense, 4Q should also start with 0-0 results with 24 points as a target to make a rivalies with a little bit of Defence. In other way you will still have a :censored:ty game (Anyone else watching this?) with happy shooting without any indication of D, especially if one team blowout another after three quarters. Good try NBA, but go back to desk and rethink this.

BTW, They should also go back to first incarnation of Skills Challenge.

4r2eer.png

I feel the roster should be expanded for the all star game so every team gets represented. Right now only half the teams have someone in it. Or if anything have it to wear they are represented during the other contests like 3 point contest, dunk contest, skills challenge ect. At the end of the day it’s just a pick up scrimmage so if booker can get on the court for a few minutes it’s really not hurting the other guys who would be in regardless. It’s not “taking the significance out of making the all star game” because it wasn’t significant to begin with especially when trae young can make the starters despite his team performing better without him.

54 minutes ago, Digby said:

I like an Elan ending idea but I can’t make sense of the rest of that.

I think the Elam rule could wind up being the best rule change to happen to basketball since the invention of the shot clock. The rule effectively eliminates late minute hacking and endless timeouts, while preserving all the drama of a potentially close game.

I love the fact that the NBA is at least experimenting with the rule change, and my hope is they adopt it ASAP.

On 1/30/2020 at 8:47 AM, Digby said:

And yet the next time a big free agent is on the market there will be a bunch of sad sack media people talking about how that free agent is definitely going to the Knicks this time. Just like when they were all talking about how Zion totally might stay in college instead of going to the Most American City of New Orleans and making millions. The blue balls that sports media has for the Knicks being good is a public health crisis.

Wow, Usher butchered two performances at Staples Center this week.  First that Grammys "tribute" to Prince and now this Kobe Memorial. And they brought out Boys II Men too?

Awful.  Everyone and their Mama knows that the Lakers singer IS Jeffery Osborne but the Lakers and Osborne have beef since Kobe's last game due to the Lakers having Flea play the National Anthem

I thought the whole remembrance was amazing. Usher, the cello performance, the moment of silence, and LeBron's speech.

And Jesus, is there anyone else in the league that could have done that?

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

I thought the whole remembrance was amazing. Usher, the cello performance, the moment of silence, and LeBron's speech.

And Jesus, is there anyone else in the league that could have done that?

Well, The Association did put this  together. 

LeBron did make a Big Papi-esque speech, but honestly that should not be his role.  Where was Magic?

These are still the Lakers, which still are a "Mom and Pop" franchise in terms of depth and organizational skills to pull something like this off. The team has been grieving since Sunday.  Ain't like Rambis' wife made phone calls to get things done, she was with Jeanie Buss.

The Kawhi Leonard free agency pursuit illustrated how small time the business office still is.

Again, Jeffery Osborne still needed to be there. 

Dame Lillard has become the best player in the league over the past week. He's nearly automatic from 3 and it's incredible to watch.

On 1/31/2020 at 11:51 AM, Red Wolf said:

And yet the next time a big free agent is on the market there will be a bunch of sad sack media people talking about how that free agent is definitely going to the Knicks this time. Just like when they were all talking about how Zion totally might stay in college instead of going to the Most American City of New Orleans and making millions. The blue balls that sports media has for the Knicks being good is a public health crisis.

I talk to Knick fans the same way I talk to girls in abusive relationships. There's a perfectly good team in Brooklyn that won't treat you like this. I know they're not perfect, but you won't have to wait seven years for them to take you to the playoffs.

1 hour ago, pmoehrin said:

I talk to Knick fans the same way I talk to girls in abusive relationships. There's a perfectly good team in Brooklyn that won't treat you like this. I know they're not perfect, but you won't have to wait seven years for them to take you to the playoffs.

Idk Kyrie is doing a pretty good job burning Barclays to the ground.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/02/03/nba-trade-deadline-looms-a-look-at-roster-changes-being-discussed.html?__twitter_impression=true

And that's the end of that for Houston as a title contender:

According to league sources who spoke to CNBC, Rockets owner Tilman Fertitta is seeking to shed additional salary off the team's nearly $140 million payroll hoping to avoid a luxury tax.

The way the tax system works is the NBA penalizes a team when its payroll rises above $132 million for the 2019-20 season. If a team is over the mark by $5 million or less, it will be charged $1.50 for every dollar it exceeds. The tax rises to $1.75 for every dollar in the $5 million to $9.99 million range; to $2.50 if the total doesn't surpass the $14.99 million mark, and to $3.25 if it is in the $15 million to $19.99 million range. From there, the tax will increase 50 cents for each additional $5 million a team is over, according to the NBA-NBPA collective bargaining agreement.

Where it gets steep is if a team is considered a repeat offender. If a team pays the luxury tax in at least four out of five seasons, the fee is then increased by $1.00. In other words, if a team is over the cap in the $5 million to $9 million range, the penalty increases to $2.75 for every $1 over.

It's a considerable price for owners to pay if they chase NBA championships with a roster loaded with large contracts. Over the years, some owners may feel the tax bill isn't worth it if a team is not viewed as a serious contender.

Some league executives are under the belief that Rockets general manager Daryl Morey, who sparked the NBA-China rift last October, is under pressure from Fertitta to decrease salary while at the same time staying competitive as the team currently sitting in the fifth seed in the West.

"He's got a new owner now. This isn't the old days with Leslie Alexander; he's with Fertitta now, who counts every penny. It's a new world there," said the executive.

7 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/02/03/nba-trade-deadline-looms-a-look-at-roster-changes-being-discussed.html?__twitter_impression=true

And that's the end of that for Houston as a title contender:

"He's got a new owner now. This isn't the old days with Leslie Alexander; he's with Fertitta now, who counts every penny. It's a new world there," said the executive.

He is counting all that money you lost him Daryl with your deleted Tweet.  It reportedly cost the league $200M, but most of that was Rockets revenue. 

Giannis, Ingram, Zion, marching to the playoffs, nationally televised game...and basically every third seat is empty.

The NBA needs to get out of New Orleans. If the city can't show up for this game, the city shouldn't have this team.

1 hour ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Giannis, Ingram, Zion, marching to the playoffs, nationally televised game...and basically every third seat is empty.

The NBA needs to get out of New Orleans. If the city can't show up for this game, the city shouldn't have this team.

Easy realignment: New Orleans relocates to Seatte and the Northwest Division. OKC to the Southwest. No need for expansion. 

On 1/30/2020 at 10:24 PM, pepis21 said:

Nonsense, 4Q should also start with 0-0 results with 24 points as a target to make a rivalies with a little bit of Defence. In other way you will still have a :censored:ty game (Anyone else watching this?) with happy shooting without any indication of D, especially if one team blowout another after three quarters. Good try NBA, but go back to desk and rethink this.

BTW, They should also go back to first incarnation of Skills Challenge.

I don't get the point of competing to win each of the first three quarters if only the points matter? Is that's something that's carried over but not elaborated on?

Archived